Yudh Abhyas 2013

acetophenol

Country flag

why sardarji is not wearing safety glasses??/ 1 splinter can make him kanaa and 2 splinter me ghar jana
Our soldiers generally don't use stuff like safety glass,gloves even when issued. Also for modern firearms,splinters aren't much of an issue,i think. Correct me if I am wrong!

DivineHeretic

Country flag
Our soldiers generally don't use stuff like safety glass,gloves even when issued. Also for modern firearms,splinters aren't much of an issue,i think. Correct me if I am wrong!
Yup, safety and protection takes a backseat as far as the IA regular infantry is concerned. And well, have not read about any soldier injured due to firearm splinters, so best guess is its not a problem.

I've seen army infantry, paramilitaries (even female paramilitaries) ,armed police remove their bullet proof jackets in hot weather during picket/patrol duty. Mind you that I'm in a region that till 2008-09 was fairly volatile. And these troops were deployed in sensitive locations where insurgent attacks were fairly likely, and indeed attacks occured, killing the soldiers, with their body armor just a few feet away.

Even now, when the soldiers wear the BJs, they will knowingly keep the neck protector open. Just to compare, most of the troop casualties I've read about in encounters in my state have a bullet hit to the neck region.

Blackwater

well, when other soldiers can wear in the exercise y not phaaji honi.

Anyhow empty shell of bullets can cause damage to face and eye any time during war or during exercise..

acetophenol

Country flag
Yup, safety and protection takes a backseat as far as the IA regular infantry is concerned. And well, have not read about any soldier injured due to firearm splinters, so best guess is its not a problem.

I've seen army infantry, paramilitaries (even female paramilitaries) ,armed police remove their bullet proof jackets in hot weather during picket/patrol duty. Mind you that I'm in a region that till 2008-09 was fairly volatile. And these troops were deployed in sensitive locations where insurgent attacks were fairly likely, and indeed attacks occured, killing the soldiers, with their body armor just a few feet away.

Even now, when the soldiers wear the BJs, they will knowingly keep the neck protector open. Just to compare, most of the troop casualties I've read about in encounters in my state have a bullet hit to the neck region.
Most people tend to have a misconception that our special forces are poorely equipped when pics of them without gloves are seen. In most cases,its their personal choice

acetophenol

Country flag
well, when other soldiers can wear in the exercise y not phaaji honi.

Anyhow empty shell of bullets can cause damage to face and eye any time during war or during exercise..
The ejected casings are indeed a threat,but that threat is minimum when he is lying down to fire. Again correct me if I am wrong!

Somreet Bhattacharya

If I am not wrong the ejected cases do not eject eject from the side the face is, until you are left handed...isn't it, it is meant to go in the other directions, Guru jis please correct me if I am wrong.

acetophenol

Country flag
If I am not wrong the ejected cases do not eject eject from the side the face is, until you are left handed...isn't it, it is meant to go in the other directions, Guru jis please correct me if I am wrong.
True. Though in some rifles,Bullpup one's especially,you can change the direction in which the case ejects. Also the ejected case can hit your body sometimes,depending on your posture or when if the case/bullet is damaged.

Somreet Bhattacharya

In case of the INSAS or the AKs or the Tavors used by the IA, all of them have the same ejection system on the right side of the receiver, and most of them are used in the right hand config, I am sure they have a changing mech for all of them...I think there are better people than me here to explain how it is changed.

DivineHeretic

Country flag
Most people tend to have a misconception that our special forces are poorely equipped when pics of them without gloves are seen. In most cases,its their personal choice
I'm not sure that all our special forces are indeed comparable to the western SFs in terms of equipment, or indeed training (please note that training here does not imply physical routines).

The Para SF, whenever spotted in CI in J&K are seen mostly wearing the standard Ghatak equipment, i.e. the bulky steel plate body armor, (limited area of protection) the Patka helmet, and the Tavor. Not saying these are bad, but they are nowhere comparable to even the standard US trooper. As of now, only the MARCOS have demonstrated continiously the usage of kevlar BA, including the Type-III body armor and kevlar ballistic helmet. The para SF have only demonstrated light to medium kevlar BA, that too only in exercises, not in regular ops.

Their regular outfitting lends weight to the theory that the modernisation of equipment for majority of the Para Sf have not been completed.

As for training part, it is well known that UAV operation, CAS co-ordination and other technical operations are integral to the US and NATO SFs, atleast since 2002-03, when UAV co-ordination and guidance abilities were demonstrared for the first time( Air strike co-ordination was demonstrated in 1991 GW itself). In addition, several UAV troops are integral to the SFs itself. As such these SFs are well versed in such ops, including with the equipment needed for these tasks.

The IA SF are not known to be trained in such stuff, especially the UAV part. The story goes that that the IA para were stunned when the US regular infantry demonstrated light weight UAVs as force multipliers and surveillance platforms for the SF teams, followed by a mad scramble to get a hold of such drones.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Who makes these stories ?

The story goes that that the IA para were stunned when the US regular infantry demonstrated light weight UAVs as force multipliers and surveillance platforms for the SF teams, followed by a mad scramble to get a hold of such drones.

DivineHeretic

Country flag
Who makes these stories ?
Hey don't ask me. Was reported in a newspaper, the TOI I think, some 2 years back.

But I'd take it with a degree of seriousness though. In one of the earlier Yudh Abhyas exercises held in India, the US did indeed bring for the first time the lightweight UAVs, demonstrating to the regular Para (I think regular, can't remember the exact unit) the effectivenes of thses tiny platforms.

Even during the exercises, the Commanding officer on the Indian side conceded he was amazed by these marvels and their effectiveness on the battlefield. The SFs were the first to express a desire to aquire them in the IA.

Blackwater

The ejected casings are indeed a threat,but that threat is minimum when he is lying down to fire. Again correct me if I am wrong!
that u have to ask members who actually fired AK-47 and riffles

Sir ray or biswas phaaji can tel

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I am sure he was very amazed looking into some foreign stuff, Such things are norm since mid 90s in Infantry modernization and other topics in India, SF in army using small rotatory UAV call Netra and similar kinds of Indian Origin..

You dont see many things, Coz media is not allowed much into such sensitive issues only when some ops are going you get to see some glimpses..

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles