Yahoo, Microsoft close to deal

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag
NEW DELHI: Is Yahoo-Microsoft deal finally happening? Yes almost, says a report in All Things Digital. According to the news report, the two com
panies are very close to entering a search and online advertising deal.

The report adds that top Microsoft executives, including SVP of the Online Audience Business Group Yusuf Mehdi, search head Satya Nadella and top digital exec Qi Lu, and many others, have flown down to Silicon Valley from their Redmond, HQ to iron out the remaining issues. Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer though not part of the entourage is also said to be involved in the talks.

Though there are different versions of the deal, the report says that they all include Microsoft paying Yahoo several billion dollars upfront to take over its search advertising business and guarantee certain payments back. The deal is also reported to have a display advertising element which would likely have Yahoo take the lead in selling premium advertising for the companies.

If all goes well, a deal could be announced within the next week itself, says the news report quoting sources at both the companies.

`Yahoo, Microsoft close to deal' - Internet-News-Indiatimes - Infotech

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
NEW DELHI: Is Yahoo-Microsoft deal finally happening? Yes almost, says a report in All Things Digital. According to the news report, the two com
panies are very close to entering a search and online advertising deal.

The report adds that top Microsoft executives, including SVP of the Online Audience Business Group Yusuf Mehdi, search head Satya Nadella and top digital exec Qi Lu, and many others, have flown down to Silicon Valley from their Redmond, HQ to iron out the remaining issues. Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer though not part of the entourage is also said to be involved in the talks.

Though there are different versions of the deal, the report says that they all include Microsoft paying Yahoo several billion dollars upfront to take over its search advertising business and guarantee certain payments back. The deal is also reported to have a display advertising element which would likely have Yahoo take the lead in selling premium advertising for the companies.

If all goes well, a deal could be announced within the next week itself, says the news report quoting sources at both the companies.

`Yahoo, Microsoft close to deal' - Internet-News-Indiatimes - Infotech
I never knew our mods were so famous...

S.A.T.A

Why the Microsoft-Yahoo take over deal fell through is still perplexing,considering it would have been a win win situation for both the companies visa-viv the Google competition.Microsoft's desperation is understandable.Google in the recent months has ventured in to territories that were almost exclusive turf of the Microsoft,the browser and operating system market,by introducing Chrome browser and next the OS.

Microsoft has hit back by putting up the Bing search engine,but really if MS or yahoo want to make a serious dent in Google's pocket,they need to get together.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Why the Microsoft-Yahoo take over deal fell through is still perplexing,considering it would have been a win win situation for both the companies visa-viv the Google competition.Microsoft's desperation is understandable.Google in the recent months has ventured in to territories that were almost exclusive turf of the Microsoft,the browser and operating system market,by introducing Chrome browser and next the OS.

Microsoft has hit back by putting up the Bing search engine,but really if MS or yahoo want to make a serious dent in Google's pocket,they need to get together.
Over the price issue, nothing else. Yahoo was expecting more than what MS was offering. It will be good if they get together. I don't like monopolies, but I use google for my web searches :D.

S.A.T.A

In hindsight yahoo lost a chance to reap a windfall.yahoo's search engine market is receding and even a Microsoft's very flawed live search gave it some serious market fright.Bing looks better than MS Live and before Bing takes on Google,it will contend with yahoo,still the No 2.How MS and yahoo will reconcile this clash is yet to be seen.

I agree Google has become bit lazy on the search front and beginning to stray into the realm of the Big boys,about time somebody started snapping at its feet.

NSG_Blackcats

Member of The Month OCTOBER 2009
Microsoft, Yahoo in 10-year web search partnership

NEW YORK: Microsoft Corp and Yahoo Inc inked a 10-year web search deal to better compete against market leader Google Inc but stopped short of combining their display advertising businesses. Shares of Yahoo, which had risen in recent weeks in anticipation of this deal, fell more than 7% in premarket trading, while shares of Microsoft edged higher.
The deal will boost Yahoo's annual operating income by about $500 million and yield capital expenditure savings of $200 million, the companies said in a joint statement on Wednesday. Microsoft's Bing search engine will be the exclusive algorithmic search and paid search technology for Yahoo's sites, while Yahoo will be responsible for selling premium search ads for both companies.
Each company will maintain its own separate display advertising business and sales force, they said. The deal combines the number two and number three players in the US market for Internet search and positions them to better compete with Google, which has an estimated 65 percent share of the US search market.

Link

Antimony

NEW YORK: Microsoft Corp and Yahoo Inc inked a 10-year web search deal to better compete against market leader Google Inc but stopped short of combining their display advertising businesses. Shares of Yahoo, which had risen in recent weeks in anticipation of this deal, fell more than 7% in premarket trading, while shares of Microsoft edged higher.
The deal will boost Yahoo's annual operating income by about $500 million and yield capital expenditure savings of $200 million, the companies said in a joint statement on Wednesday. Microsoft's Bing search engine will be the exclusive algorithmic search and paid search technology for Yahoo's sites, while Yahoo will be responsible for selling premium search ads for both companies.
Each company will maintain its own separate display advertising business and sales force, they said. The deal combines the number two and number three players in the US market for Internet search and positions them to better compete with Google, which has an estimated 65 percent share of the US search market.

Link
I still don't see why the average consumer should move away from Google into Bing

BING - But Its Not Google

Zero

I find BING not even great at all. I think it is waste of time. Why does MS gotta make things so simple to a height of useless. Sure BING looks nice. To me Google looks like XP os to me and BING is Vista OS. I would pick XP. In meaning i would pick google over bing.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles