Y20 Chinese Transport Aircraft

J20!

Country flag
5 Y20's in service (including the first two air-frames inducted in July 2016) and the Xian institute has also completed a passenger ferry test, setting a record for passengers carried in a single flight by a Chinese aircraft:

http://www.eastpendulum.com/y-20-teste-transport-de-passagers

Y-20 tests passenger transport

BY
HENRI KENHMANN

SEPTEMBER 25, 2017

The Chinese military transport aircraft Y-20 has just completed its first passenger transport test, according to an article on the Weixin account of the 603 Xi'an Institute .

The design office specializing in the design of transport planes and bombers for the AVIC aircraft manufacturer gave almost no details on this test flight, but indicated that the test was the high priority of the Y-20 program. 2017, to verify the transport capacity, the design safety level and the stability of the systems.

It is also the test that has embarked the largest number of people on board since the very first inaugural flight of Y-20 which dates back to 26 January 2013.

TANG Chang Hong (唐 长 红), chief program engineer, as well as passengers coming mainly from the various offices of the institute participating in the program, seem to be satisfied with the flight.

Here are some testimonies gathered in the article:

- QIANG Sui Hong, Office No. 1 (Structure)

I am proud to be able to board a plane that I took part in its development. The number of colleagues who enrolled in this test flight also demonstrates our confidence in the Y-20. Through our own feelings and exchanges with the crew, we will have elements that will allow us to continue to improve the aircraft.

- FU Qiang, Office No. 3

The take-off distance is quite short and the landing is flexible, our system (on the sail) which allows to increase the lift has worked well.

- MOU Wei Xing, Office No. 4

This is the first time I fly on a plane we designed, I am very excited. These two hours of travel are extraordinary, the plane takes off and lands softly, we did not feel any trembling in the air. The interior (of the plane) is comfortable, you feel almost like in an airliner.

- LUO Jing Feng, Office No. 7 (Fuel System)

Proud to be in an airplane that we designed together, even if the road is still long in front of us.

So how many people actually boarded this Y-20 flight?

Although Xi'an has not revealed any details so far, we can still deduce a part ourselves. Given that the American C-17, which is larger and longer than the Y-20, is capable of transporting up to 102 fully equipped paratroopers, it is reasonable to assume that the nominal capacity of the Chinese exceed this limit.

We also know the IL-76MD, of which about 20 are in active service in China, can carry about forty people in the bunker in standard configuration, and that this Russian aircraft is of comparable size to its Chinese counterpart, if not that it is much less wide (31.5 meters for IL-76® versus 4 meters for Y-20).

The passenger capacity of Y-20 would therefore be between 40 and 100, in a mixed Cargo-Passenger configuration.

And if we rely on two of the very rare photos taken inside the cargo bay of a Y-20 that has been equipped with the Chinese Air Force since July 2016, it will be noticed that the Chinese transport plane would have between 40 and 50 seats on both sides of the aircraft.

Seats aboard Y-20 appear to be all numbered (Image: 四川 卫视; Comment: East Pendulum)

The interior layout of a Y-20 in service in the Chinese Air Force (Picture: 四川 卫视; Comment: East Pendulum)

Passenger capacity therefore depends on whether there are 20 or 25 seats per row, and whether the Y-20 who conducted the passenger test was in the same configuration of the interior layout with the one used as a reference.

This suggests that less than 50 people from the 603 Xi'an Institute boarded the Y-20 for the first passenger test, which lasted around two hours.

On September 14, at the Qionglai air base where the first Y-20s are admitted to active duty (Photo: 拓跋 尊 1949)

As for the number of Y-20 products so far, we had predicted last year " China buys 224 additional D-30KP-2 engines", according to which two to three aircraft could be delivered by quarter to the Chinese military, starting in the second quarter of 2017, a pace 1 to see slightly lower.

And the latest photos released show that at least five Y-20s have been admitted to active service by the Chinese Air Force, including two first copies introduced in July 2017.

A group of Chinese college students were able to visit the 5th Y-20 of the Chinese Air Force (Photos: PLA)

It is still too early to say whether our forecast model is to be revised or not, but at this rate the Chinese air force could receive up to ten Y-20 by the end of 2017, half of the IL- 76MD China whose supply channels are more or less biased.

To be continued.

Henri K.

Reactions: Neo

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
5 Y20's in service (including the first two air-frames inducted in July 2016) and the Xian institute has also completed a passenger ferry test, setting a record for passengers carried in a single flight by a Chinese aircraft:

http://www.eastpendulum.com/y-20-teste-transport-de-passagers

Y-20 tests passenger transport

BY
HENRI KENHMANN

SEPTEMBER 25, 2017

The Chinese military transport aircraft Y-20 has just completed its first passenger transport test, according to an article on the Weixin account of the 603 Xi'an Institute .

The design office specializing in the design of transport planes and bombers for the AVIC aircraft manufacturer gave almost no details on this test flight, but indicated that the test was the high priority of the Y-20 program. 2017, to verify the transport capacity, the design safety level and the stability of the systems.

It is also the test that has embarked the largest number of people on board since the very first inaugural flight of Y-20 which dates back to 26 January 2013.

TANG Chang Hong (唐 长 红), chief program engineer, as well as passengers coming mainly from the various offices of the institute participating in the program, seem to be satisfied with the flight.

Here are some testimonies gathered in the article:

- QIANG Sui Hong, Office No. 1 (Structure)

I am proud to be able to board a plane that I took part in its development. The number of colleagues who enrolled in this test flight also demonstrates our confidence in the Y-20. Through our own feelings and exchanges with the crew, we will have elements that will allow us to continue to improve the aircraft.

- FU Qiang, Office No. 3

The take-off distance is quite short and the landing is flexible, our system (on the sail) which allows to increase the lift has worked well.

- MOU Wei Xing, Office No. 4

This is the first time I fly on a plane we designed, I am very excited. These two hours of travel are extraordinary, the plane takes off and lands softly, we did not feel any trembling in the air. The interior (of the plane) is comfortable, you feel almost like in an airliner.

- LUO Jing Feng, Office No. 7 (Fuel System)

Proud to be in an airplane that we designed together, even if the road is still long in front of us.

So how many people actually boarded this Y-20 flight?

Although Xi'an has not revealed any details so far, we can still deduce a part ourselves. Given that the American C-17, which is larger and longer than the Y-20, is capable of transporting up to 102 fully equipped paratroopers, it is reasonable to assume that the nominal capacity of the Chinese exceed this limit.

We also know the IL-76MD, of which about 20 are in active service in China, can carry about forty people in the bunker in standard configuration, and that this Russian aircraft is of comparable size to its Chinese counterpart, if not that it is much less wide (31.5 meters for IL-76® versus 4 meters for Y-20).

The passenger capacity of Y-20 would therefore be between 40 and 100, in a mixed Cargo-Passenger configuration.

And if we rely on two of the very rare photos taken inside the cargo bay of a Y-20 that has been equipped with the Chinese Air Force since July 2016, it will be noticed that the Chinese transport plane would have between 40 and 50 seats on both sides of the aircraft.

Seats aboard Y-20 appear to be all numbered (Image: 四川 卫视; Comment: East Pendulum)

The interior layout of a Y-20 in service in the Chinese Air Force (Picture: 四川 卫视; Comment: East Pendulum)

Passenger capacity therefore depends on whether there are 20 or 25 seats per row, and whether the Y-20 who conducted the passenger test was in the same configuration of the interior layout with the one used as a reference.

This suggests that less than 50 people from the 603 Xi'an Institute boarded the Y-20 for the first passenger test, which lasted around two hours.

On September 14, at the Qionglai air base where the first Y-20s are admitted to active duty (Photo: 拓跋 尊 1949)

As for the number of Y-20 products so far, we had predicted last year " China buys 224 additional D-30KP-2 engines", according to which two to three aircraft could be delivered by quarter to the Chinese military, starting in the second quarter of 2017, a pace 1 to see slightly lower.

And the latest photos released show that at least five Y-20s have been admitted to active service by the Chinese Air Force, including two first copies introduced in July 2017.

A group of Chinese college students were able to visit the 5th Y-20 of the Chinese Air Force (Photos: PLA)

It is still too early to say whether our forecast model is to be revised or not, but at this rate the Chinese air force could receive up to ten Y-20 by the end of 2017, half of the IL- 76MD China whose supply channels are more or less biased.

To be continued.

Henri K.
Does PLAAF have plans to use this platform as Mid air refuelers and Awacs platform??????

===========================================================================

And how many of these PLAAF wants to operate.

J20!

Country flag
Does PLAAF have plans to use this platform as Mid air refuelers and Awacs platform??????

===========================================================================

And how many of these PLAAF wants to operate.
*shrugs* No official release as to the number of Y20's the PLAAF intends to purchase has ever been made public.

Nor has there been any indication as to whether AWACs or Tanker variants are in development.

If there are any such plans, I can only assume that they would wait until the high by-pass WS20 is integrated onto the Y20. A WS20 equipped Y20 would be ideal for a tanker platform considering the improved MTOW and carrying capacity specs it would offer.

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
*shrugs* No official release as to the number of Y20's the PLAAF intends to purchase has ever been made public.

Nor has there been any indication as to whether AWACs or Tanker variants are in development.

If there are any such plans, I can only assume that they would wait until the high by-pass WS20 is integrated onto the Y20. A WS20 equipped Y20 would be ideal for a tanker platform considering the improved MTOW and carrying capacity specs it would offer.
So at the moment its a half baked platform.

=========================================================

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag

Everything is held back by AVIC's failure to develop turbofans. These old Russian engines are not powerful enough to carry the heavy obsolete PESA radars of PLAAF. The fuel load for refueling wouldn't even be worth going airbourne.

shiphone

Country flag
yeah...some idiot seems take too much drugs and was barking here and there....lol...

----------------------------
the presence of WS20 powered Y20 is about at the end of this year ,or early 2018...you will see soon.

and inflight refueler might be the first 'derivative'...

the ground test plane of this derivative with new engine pylon has been transfered to the strength test institution which is just blocks away from the manufacture plant.
timg.jpg

------------
Airshow China 2016.... the model of Y20F-100 Cargo with WS-20 and longer fuselage.

Last edited:

J20!

Country flag

If that's what you want to call it, but it is still the largest military air-lifter in production world-wide.

And "half-baked" or not, D30-KP2 powered Y20A's still provide the PLAAF with the same lift capability that the service previously had to import in the form of Il76's:

In a few years, with the WS20's online, the PLAAF will have a domestically produced and powered air-lifting platform capable of moving 66+ tons.

I'd ask you what India has to offer in comparison, but I already know the Indian MIC is struggling to put a simple 9-ton fighter into production, let alone a 200+ ton air-lifter.

Reactions: Neo

J20!

Country flag
Everything is held back by AVIC's failure to develop turbofans. These old Russian engines are not powerful enough to carry the heavy obsolete PESA radars of PLAAF. The fuel load for refueling wouldn't even be worth going airbourne.
Then the Il78's "fuel load for refueling wouldn't even be worth going airbourne" considering that the Y20A's lifting capacity is similar to the Il76 and Il78, You do know that they use the same "old Russian engines" right?

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Then the Il78's "fuel load for refueling wouldn't even be worth going airbourne" considering that the Y20A's lifting capacity is similar to the Il76 and Il78, You do know that they use the same "old Russian engines" right?
What are you talking about? Russia uses the PS-90 engine. It is way more powerful than the old D-30.

J20!

Country flag
What are you talking about? Russia uses the PS-90 engine. It is way more powerful than the old D-30.
Is it? Maybe u should tell the VKS that...

And IAF IL78's can't take off or function since D30 KP2's are useless right? :

Il78M/MKI/MP/ME tankers flying on D30KP2's can transfer 105 000KGs of jet fuel. Save your BS mate

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Is it? Maybe u should tell the VKS that...
I don't need to tell them that. Russia signed a contract with Perm in 2012 for 156 PS-90s to replace D-30s, the contract has since concluded and all new variants come with these engines.

And IAF IL78's can't take off or function since D30 KP2's are useless right?
Did you not know India signed a contract to replace D-30 engines with PS-90 like 6 years ago?

Il78M/MKI/MP/ME tankers flying on D30KP2's can transfer 105 000KGs of jet fuel. Save your BS mate
Only if they are transferring fuel on the ground. Save your BS mate. You should have got the modern PS-90, not that antiquated D-30 on its way out.

J20!

Country flag
I don't need to tell them that. Russia signed a contract with Perm in 2012 for 156 PS-90s to replace D-30s, the contract has since concluded and all new variants come with these engines.

Did you not know India signed a contract to replace D-30 engines with PS-90 like 6 years ago?

Only if they are transferring fuel on the ground. Save your BS mate. You should have got the modern PS-90, not that antiquated D-30 on its way out.
Actually I do. Contract or no, are any Indian Il78's flying on PS90's? None of the IAF's IL78's have PS90's installed. Are IAF Il78's "useles" and "obsolete"? Are they not operational RIGHT NOW?

The Il78's deployed by the VKS to Hmyamim Air base in Syria still operate on D-30KP-2's "mr. expert". I thought you said the D30-KP-2 was obsolete and "useless"?

Enough of your BS mate. Stop trying to derail this thread.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Actually I do. Contract or no, are any Indian Il78's flying on PS90's? None of the IAF's IL78's have PS90's installed. Are IAF Il78's "useles" and "obsolete"? Are they not operational RIGHT NOW?
According to the CAG report from 2010-2016 Il-78s had an availability rate of 43% and were due for overhaul in 2018 to get PS-90s. The A-50s and Il-76s have PS-90 already.

The Il78's deployed by the VKS to Hmyamim Air base in Syria still operate on D-30KP-2's "mr. expert". I thought you said the D30-KP-2 was obsolete and "useless"?
It definitely is obsolete, its thrust is 35% weaker, service life 50% shorter, and fuel consumption 28% higher than PS-90.

So you put my words in quotes? I demand you tell me what post you are quoting from because if I didn't say that, you must make a public apology for misquoting me.

Enough of your BS mate. Stop trying to derail this thread.
Is a discussion about the obsolete engines you chose to run your new airlifter derailing this thread? I call that on point.

J20!

Country flag
Possibly the seventh Y20 airframe to leave Xi'an's production line. To be confirmed:

J20!

Country flag
r u changing IL-76 engine or copy that also :pound::pound::pound:
Yes, Aero Engine Corp. of China is currently testing and developing the WS20 high bypass turbofan for use on the Y20 and the civilian Y20-F100 version.

http://m.aviationweek.com/zhuhai-2016/avic-proposes-civil-version-y-20-airlifter-0

Which air-lifter is the Y20 a copy of again? Whenever Indian trolls see a Chinese defense item HAL can't produce, they claim it's a copy... Please provide a link to the source of your info.

Blackwater

Yes, Aero Engine Corp. of China is currently testing and developing the WS20 high bypass turbofan for use on the Y20 and the civilian Y20-F100 version.

http://m.aviationweek.com/zhuhai-2016/avic-proposes-civil-version-y-20-airlifter-0

Which air-lifter is the Y20 a copy of again? Whenever Indian trolls see a Chinese defense item HAL can't produce, they claim it's a copy... Please provide a link to the source of your info.

IL-76. u change, back and front end .basic design is copy of IL-76

J20!

Country flag
IL-76. u change, back and front end .basic design is copy of IL-76
Their dimensions aren't even the same. Y20 is significantly wider than an Il76 airframe.

The fact that you believe aircraft design and manufacturing is that simple dictates that I not take your comment seriously. If it we're that easy, then even HAL could design and manufacture an air-lift platform.

Blackwater

Their dimensions aren't even the same. Y20 is significantly wider than an Il76 airframe.

The fact that you believe aircraft design and manufacturing is that simple dictates that I not take your comment seriously. If it we're that easy, then even HAL could design and manufacture an air-lift platform.
u answer ur Q urself. HAL can not but u can do reverse engg and do modification. but basic platform is IL-76 only

J20!

Country flag
u answer ur Q urself. HAL can not but u can do reverse engg and do modification. but basic platform is IL-76 only
I'd point out that design assistance for the Y20 programme came from Antonov(a Ukranian company), not Ilyushin(the Russian manufacture of the Il76); but I tire of fact checking the claims of ignorant Indian trolls on threads about Chinese platforms.

Even if it had 8 engines and an 80m wide wing-span you'd claim it was a copy of something else to sooth your injured pride. It's not China's fault that the Indian MIC is incapable of producing a similar platform.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles