Wuhan Coronavirus Thread

Is coronavirus a biological warfare agent released by China?

• yes

Votes: 175 89.3%
  • no

Votes: 21 10.7%

• Total voters

another_armchair

Country flag
Sputnik for Delta variant.

Which vaccine did Russians get?

If they got Sputnik and if it is indeed as effective against the Delta variant as claimed, what explains a standard 350-380 covid deaths every day?

Are these deaths among the unvaccinated ?

Kumata

Country flag
There are telegram channels that relay vaccine slot availability alerts.

Damn accurate.

Finally managed to book my slot last night and got my Covaxin shot today.

Would have been impossible to do it on Cowin alone.

For those in Bangalore BBMP area, https://t.me/joinchat/BOBlTTPtGYljZmI9 is the link to join the Cowin slot availability alerts channel.
yup.. i managed to vaccinate myself and whole family using these telegram channels...

Jimih

Country flag
Which vaccine did Russians get?

If they got Sputnik and if it is indeed as effective against the Delta variant as claimed, what explains a standard 350-380 covid deaths every day?

Are these deaths among the unvaccinated ?
Russian state media just like China....very few internal news come out.

Nicky G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Nibba,

any news on what,s happening to include covaxin in vaccine passport thing....I am worried if this have the potential to halt my travel plans in near term!!!!!

or

should i go and do the classic natwar lal thing and get my self scheduled for covishield too :devil::devil::devil:
Are you planning to anywhere this year? With Covaxin, you would be considered unvaccinated in Europe and probably US and Canada.

So you might need negative test report before travel or get tested there.

WHO will take its own sweet time to approve Covaxin.

However, from what I have gathered, its the best available and has most resistance to delta variant. So put that above travel plans. I have done the same.

Kumata

Country flag
However, from what I have gathered, its the best available and has most resistance to delta variant. So put that above travel plans. I have done the same.
yo monsieur.. life above travel... both covaxin doses done.. travel can wait.. life is more important...
for travel.. i am some body who used to spend a month each quarter in US / europe before pandemic...but i am least bothered with travel...

IndianYonko

Country flag
Screenshot_20210616-005258_Chrome.jpg

Even today we have similar trend as last 2 days. MH has dis-proportionately high number of deaths compared to active cases. 1458/2501 deaths in MH with only 1,38,361/8, 60, 045 active cases.

Roughly speaking.
58% of total deaths happened in a pool having 16% of total cases.

SKC

Country flag
View attachment 94890
Even today we have similar trend as last 2 days. MH has dis-proportionately high number of deaths compared to active cases. 1458/2501 deaths in MH with only 1,38,361/8, 60, 045 active cases.

Roughly speaking.
58% of total deaths happened in a pool having 16% of total cases.
I think they are adjusting the deaths happened at the peak time in current no. Clever way to show that things were not bad at the peak time and now silently adjusting the figures now.

Cheran

Country flag

New York City: 899 people given expired doses of Pfizer vaccine, Health Department asks them to get re-vaccinated

Health Department said e-mails, phone calls, and letters are also being sent letters to the people who got jabbed with expired vaccines to make sure they are aware of this situation.

Unbelievable!!!

They should invest more on health rather than mars missions for their US national prestige.

Imagine the big bucks they spend on military/dark projects but have no money for basic health.

Imagine the billions that they spend on their aircraft carriers/stealth planes/missiles/foreign bases/regime change wars but not for health.

This is a travesty.

It seems that the American civil society is not in a position to speak truth to power & is more interested in licking establishment posterior.

Jimih

Country flag
Russia's government statistics agency Rosstat released the final confirmed demographic figures for 2020. According to the official numbers, deaths in the country were 340,300 people compared to the previous year, growing to 2,138,586.

Of those additional fatalities, 144,700 deaths (42.5%) were put down to Covid-19.

sorcerer

Country flag
Delta Plus Variant is not yet classified as Variant of Concern: Dr. Paul

Way forward is to constantly watch and detect its potential presence and growth in the country: Member (Health), NITI Aayog

Posted On: 16 JUN 2021 11:38AM by PIB Mumbai

New Delhi / Mumbai, June 16, 2021

In the context of the public discourse regarding detection of new variants, Member (Health), NITI Aayog, Dr. VK Paul has reminded the public that the newly detected Delta Plus Variant is not yet classified as a Variant of Concern. “The present status is that yes, a new variant has been found. This is as of now a Variant of Interest (VoI), not as yet classified a Variant of Concern (VoC). VoC is one in which we have understood that there are adverse consequences to humanity, which could be due to increased transmissibility or virulence. We do not know at this moment this about the Delta Plus variant.” Dr. Paul stated this, while addressing the COVID-19 Media Briefing at National Media Centre, PIB Delhi earlier this week.

The Way Forward: Watch, Detect, Respond

The way forward is to watch for its potential presence in the country and take the appropriate public health response, says Dr. Paul. “We need to watch the effect of this change, this variant in a scientific manner; this has been found outside our country. We need to monitor it through The Indian SARS-CoV-2 Consortium on Genomics (INSACOG) in order to assess and detect its potential presence and growth in our country. This is the way forward in relation to the virus.” Dr. Paul also mentioned that this will be an important area of future work for our comprehensive system of almost 28 laboratories. The system will constantly watch this and study its significance. This is something which science should and will watch and understand, added Dr. Paul.

No Precision Weapon to Shoot the Variants Away”

The NITI Aayog Member said that this variant is a reminder to us about the importance of infection control and containment measures and behaviour. “Remember that there is no way that we can shoot these variants away, to use any precision weapon to ensure that they don't appear in future. What we need to do is to monitor, understand their behaviour and mount an appropriate response, being conscious of their effects on us. The appropriate response includes the same principles, namely containment measures and COVID appropriate behaviour.”

He spoke of the importance of addressing the root cause and breaking the chain of transmission. “One of the important tools to tackle any new variant is by following COVID Appropriate Behaviour. The root cause is the chain of transmission. So, if we are able to address the root cause and break the chains of transmission, we will be able to contain the spread, whichever the variant may be.”

Errors in Replication can lead to emergence of Variants of Concern

Explaining the origin of the Delta Plus variant, Dr. Paul said: “During the second wave, Delta variant - B.1.617.2 exhibited its effect; its higher transmissibility played a major role in making the wave intense. Along the same line, an additional mutation has been detected, which has also been submitted to the Global Data System. This has been referred to as the 'Delta Plus' or 'AY.1' variant. The variant was observed in Europe in March and has been notified and brought into public domain on June 13, just two days ago.”

He went on to explain that mRNA viruses are particularly predisposed to errors in their replication. When errors in replication of their RNA happen, the virus acquires a new character to a certain extent. “At times, it could be significant from the point of view of the disease, it could be in a region such as the spike protein through which the virus attaches to cells in the body. So if that part becomes smarter than the previous version, it is to our disadvantage. So we are worried about such variants.”

sorcerer

Country flag
Calf serum used in manufacturing of viral vaccines: Bharat Biotech

Bharat Biotech on Wednesday clarified that while new born calf serum is used in the manufacturing of viral vaccines, the final formulation of its Covid-19 vaccine Covaxin is free from all impurities.

"New born calf serum is used in the manufacturing of viral vaccines. It is used for the growth of cells, but neither used in growth of SARS CoV2 virus nor in the final formulation," the company said in a statement.

"Covaxin is is highly purified to contain only the inactivated virus components by removing all other impurities," it added.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles