Wuhan Coronavirus Thread

Is coronavirus a biological warfare agent released by China?

• yes

Votes: 175 89.3%
  • no

Votes: 21 10.7%

• Total voters

Atcjurvin

The UK is just two weeks away from a chinavirus outbreak as bad as Italy's.

The United Kingdom has as little as two weeks to prevent its coronavirus outbreak reaching the depths of the crisis seen in Italy, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has said.

"The numbers are very stark, and they are accelerating. We are only a matter of weeks — two or three — behind Italy," Johnson said Saturday.

Italy on Saturday recorded nearly 800 deaths from the coronavirus in one day and has now overtaken China as the worst affected nation.

Harrowing video footage from Italy's hospitals show the scale of the crisis that could soon be approaching Britain.

"The Italian death toll is already in the thousands and climbing," Johnson said. "Unless we act together, unless we make the heroic and collective national effort to slow the spread — then it is all too likely that our own NHS will be similarly overwhelmed."

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-uk-2-weeks-britain-italy-slow-outbreak-pandemic-2020-3
I hope they all die like cockroaches

Why so serious?

Country flag
Don't want to spread panic , but a friend of mine has a friend living in Italy this was his update on the current situation in Italy.

"
We ve been quarantining at home, trying to take all precautions and we are ok so far.

But we did it since one month ago, way before the govt woke up and quarantined the country.

The numbers you see unfortunately are just the tip of the iceberg, so many more people are dying at home untested, it's basically a massacre for old people. Where are u now? Please pay attention and avoid visiting older family members! "

sorcerer

Country flag
Here are some of the medications being tested to treat the coronavirus | Dr. Nirmal Joshi

As the entire clinical and research community across the world scrambles to find specific treatment options for COVID-19, several new pieces of information are becoming available. Although high quality research trials are still limited, preliminary data is summarized below:

a. Medications that show promise (may work to improve outcomes)

Remdesivir

It is an investigational intravenous antiviral drug that works by preventing the replication (multiplication) of the virus. It has shown activity in the laboratory against SARS CoV-2 (the virus causing COVID-19) as well as activity against many related coronaviruses.

Several research trials are underway in hospitalized, more severe cases of COVID-19 infection. In addition to enrolling their patients in clinical trials, physicians can also request the drug on a “compassionate use basis” through the manufacturer in selected patients. In other words, the drug is currently available from the company (Gilead) to clinicians only when requested in this manner. The treatment duration thus far has been about 10 days. However, due to short supply access to the drug may be limited.

Chloroquine/ Hydroxychloroquine

Chloroquine has been used for malaria prevention and treatment for a long time and Hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil) is a related drug used for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis and systemic lupus. Both drugs are known to have potency against coronaviruses, including both SARS CoV as well as SARS CoV-2. Hydroxychloroquine has higher potency specifically against SARS-CoV-2. After a Chinese study reported clinical and virologic benefit, chloroquine was added as a treatment regimen for COVID-19 patients in China, Chinese experts recommend patients diagnosed with mild to moderate disease as well as severe disease with pneumonia be treated with chloroquine.

Chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine are now recommended for treatment in several countries. Due to its more potent activity in the lab and wider availability (particularly in the United States) compared to chloroquine, hydroxychloriquine has been administered to hospitalized COVID-19 patients in many countries including the United States.

A recent French study of 42 patients with COVID-19 reported very encouraging results with hydroxychloroquine administered orally 200 mg. by mouth three times a day for 10 days. At the end of six days, almost 70 percent of patients in the hydroxychloroquine group were considered “virologically cured” compared to only 12.5 percent in the control group (not receiving the drug). In a smaller sub-group of patients in this study who received an additional antibiotic, azithromycin (commonly available as Zithromax in the United States) together with hydroxychloroquine, 100 percent of patients had no virus detected at day six.

President Trump recently communicated appropriate optimism regarding these medications. More information is needed from larger trials, but at a time when no reasonable alternatives exist, this is certainly cause for optimism. Several countries, including some clinicians in the United States, are beginning to use hydroxychloroquine for this purpose.

Tocilizumab

This is a medication that has been approved by the FDA for many years for treatment of moderate to severe Rheumatoid Arthritis. Interest in its use in critically ill patients with COVID-19 stems from the fact that such patients may have a severe response to the infection called a “Cytokine Storm:” release of numerous chemicals that are designed to protect the body but end up severely hurting the lungs. One such chemical is Interleukin-6 (IL-6); tocilizumab inhibits this chemical, theoretically minimizing lung injury.

Several studies in China, Italy, United States and other countries are now under way. As we await the results, this is a drug that some centers are using as an off-label use, since it is already available. It is used in patients who are critically sick with severe pneumonia along with other antiviral agents.

b. Medications that may not work (initial data showing no, or very limited, improvement in outcomes)

Lopinavir-Ritovanir

In a recent Chinese study involving nearly 200 patients, this antiviral drug combination, known for activity against SARS and MERS-related coronaviruses, did not show any benefit for COVID-19. Specific, selected patients may still benefit, but this is not known at the current time.

c. Data on concomitant use of commonly used medications (such as Ibuprofen and some blood pressure medications)

There were initial theoretical concerns that maybe medications such as Ibuprofen may dampen the body’s immune response to COVID-19 and therefore worsen outcomes. However, no specific data has emerged related to this concern and the WHO states that it “does not recommend against the use” of Ibuprofen. Acetaminophen (Tylenol) is certainly considered safe and is often used in such settings as a fever reducer.

Based on the mechanism of SARS Cov-2 entry into the cells, a theoretical possibility was raised that some commonly used blood pressure medications in the class of ACE-inhibitors and ARB’s (such as lisinopril and losartan), may worsen outcomes in COVID-19 infection. This hypothesis has also not borne out, and a clear statement from U.S. Heart groups, including the American Heart Association, recommends that patients with COVID-19 infection who are on these medications should indeed continue to use them.

The recent seemingly differing points of view expressed by President Trump (one of optimism) and by Dr. Anthony Fauci (cautious optimism) from the same national stage, represent the honest struggle between the immediate need to use drugs that may help treat a rapidly spreading potentially fatal disease, and the need for scientific rigor in evaluating such drugs before widespread use.

Sanatani

Country flag
We were discussing the self imposed curfew yesterday and eventually the matter of daily wage earners came . In case of a complete shutdown till 31 March ,it would be difficult for them to feed their family
One gentleman came out with a novel idea. If each flat from our society can spare one meal a day ,we can keep them outside the main entrance of our society and the needful can have them.
Discussed it with others and maybe we will start it in a day or two.
A request to all you guys ,try doing this if possible .It's a good opportunity to give back to the society

Absolut_Vodka

Quarantined Abdul
Banned
Country flag
Liberals, commies and jihadis going apeshit on Twitter. I quote one tweet to show rot in them

Brought a tear to my eye, guy has not received shit from society ,government or anyone but still is appreciating some unknown persons.

Then there are entitled libtards and jihadis jo jiss thali mein khate hai ussi mein ched karte hai.
Actually appreciation includes sanitation workers. Maybe guy is cognizant of that fact or not.

What India did today at 5.00pm to clap for the health care workers is unbeatable. The same, earlier in the month was done by Spaniards to appreciate their own health care workers. India was second to do it.

The stress, the health care workers are going thru at the risk of their own lives deserves a high praise. I have two sons of mine, both doctors and they on everyday basis are exposing themselves to the risk of this virus, to save others. At 5.00pm, I was clapping uncontrollably.

Imagine 130 million souls heeded the PM’s advice and came out to clap. My thanks to all.
I have done jobs that involved same level of stress. I worked in telecommunications sector and we had same urgency during fiber cut or hurricane or earthquake. I understand the pressure very well.

Cartel Boss

Country flag
Don't want to spread panic , but a friend of mine has a friend living in Italy this was his update on the current situation in Italy.

"
We ve been quarantining at home, trying to take all precautions and we are ok so far.

But we did it since one month ago, way before the govt woke up and quarantined the country.

The numbers you see unfortunately are just the tip of the iceberg, so many more people are dying at home untested, it's basically a massacre for old people. Where are u now? Please pay attention and avoid visiting older family members! "
I will follow all the instructions given to me by government agencies. Also, I will not hesitate even a second to volunteer my services for those who need my help if it comes to that. Saving your life is important but it is more important to do the right thing.

rocky0290

Country flag
To all those who are in favour of herd immunity........
Check out @SJha1618’s Tweet:
See mass scale outbreak and hence herd immunity is inevitable(not being pessimistic). It's gonna happen whether one likes it or not. The real qs is how this herd immunity will be established. By natural means or an induced means. Induced means developing a vaccine(for all stains and protection from various stains and mutated stains). We all wish an effective vaccine is developed as soon as possible(practically it's gonna take its time). Hence only natural means is left. This is not favouring but that's the only logical way which is visible right now. This saurav jha chap is confusing the whole meaning of herd immunity with the way it will take its place in the society.

sorcerer

Country flag
See mass scale outbreak and hence herd immunity is inevitable(not being pessimistic). It's gonna happen whether one likes it or not. The real qs is how this herd immunity will be established. By natural means or an induced means. Induced means developing a vaccine(for all stains and protection from various stains and mutated stains). We all wish an effective vaccine is developed as soon as possible(practically it's gonna take its time). Hence only natural means is left. This is not favouring but that's the only logical way which is visible right now. This saurav jha chap is confusing the whole meaning of herd immunity with the way it will take its place in the society.
The side effect of such is the pressure on the NHS because of the sheer fear and the fear mongering by the paid media.
if people could just let it course through..then we will all be fine..but if the people rush even with mild symptoms and create bottleneck thats FUBAR .
This is what the herd immunity thing created in Italy..in UK..

doreamon

Country flag
That laxminarayan who has been giving interviews has really scary predictions.... Any way ll knw truth aftr next 15 days.. If that guy is selling horse shit he ll loose credibility for life and ll be trolled like nythng.. But if his models r indeed reliable govt already knows it and i believe we r under prepared..Just today Odisha doctors wrote to state govt showing lack of equipments in dealing with situation that is to come.. Things need to be done in war footing ..

Cartel Boss

Country flag
The side effect of such is the pressure on the NHS because of the sheer fear and the fear mongering by the paid media.
if people could just let it course through..then we will all be fine..but if the people rush even with mild symptoms and create bottleneck thats FUBAR .
This is what the herd immunity thing created in Italy..in UK..
There is a deliberate attempt by desi dork media to create panic. May be, it is time to quarantine Burkha Dutt and her ilks.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles