Wuhan Coronavirus Thread

Is coronavirus a biological warfare agent released by China?

• yes

Votes: 175 89.3%
  • no

Votes: 21 10.7%

• Total voters

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Condition of a so called advanced stated vs a backward one.

Chini way to global domination without firing a bullet.

This country needs to be totally isolated.
Wrong way to look at this, as far as Pune is concerned.

Pune region is a geographical bowl, somehow that area has always been prone to endemics. Obviously a global pandemic will show it’s effects.

Nicky G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Does think mean the more backward you are the better protected you will be against covid?

Interesting theory, considering Africa doesn't make much news at all w.r.t covid, apart from the more advanced S.Africa.

It pays to understand this paradox better? These are some i can think -

1. more spread due to more movement of people due to higher employment prospects?
2. bigger net results in more fishes? more testing maybe.
3. higher numbers due to "better" documentation?
There will be a host of factors that contribute, inclduing degree of movement in and out, precaution taken by the population, enforcement by the government and so on.

Each case would need to analysed on its own to identify the actual weightage of above factors in terms of contribution to the extent of spread of the pandemic as well as its resurgance.

My point was just to contrast UP vs Pune.

Wrong way to look at this, as far as Pune is concerned.

Pune region is a geographical bowl, somehow that area has always been prone to endemics. Obviously a global pandemic will show it’s effects.
I don't follow, do you mean density of population or that Pune sees more movement?

Either way, considering the population of Pune vs entire of UP, there is no way there should be more cases in Pune.

We don't know all the reasons and their precise contribution, but carelessness of people and incompetence of the government would certainly contribute significantly.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
There will be a host of factors that contribute, inclduing degree of movement in and out, precaution taken by the population, enforcement by the government and so on.

Each case would need to analysed on its own to identify the actual weightage of above factors in terms of contribution to the extent of spread of the pandemic as well as its resurgance.

My point was just to contrast UP vs Pune.

I don't follow, do you mean density of population or that Pune sees more movement?

Either way, considering the population of Pune vs entire of UP, there is no way there should be more cases in Pune.

We don't know all the reasons and their precise contribution, but carelessness of people and incompetence of the government would certainly contribute significantly.
Not population density, this is a recent phenomenon after auto and IT sector moved there.

One of my colleagues who was a Pune local, has once given an explanation that Pune area is like a bowl in geographical terms sitting next to western ghats. the air moves over Pune in certain seasons and doesn’t recycle well at the ground, hence every year there is always an endemic prevalent in that area in certain seasons.

sajobajo

Country flag
I am from Pune, and here are my thoughts about the exploding numbers :
1) Better adherence to processes, I believe thats the reason why cases are better documented.
2) Weather changes, by the end of Feb , my entire family excluding me went down with flu like symptoms, for a day or two. So had atleast 10 other families I know in the immediate vicinity, more if I count acquaintances. I had a mild discomfort with cold, I put it down to endless late night working sessions. We take all precautions, always wear a mask and avoid gatherings.I am not a doctor, but it is possible that the virus was endemic in the population, and combined with the right weather conditions, led to a flare up.
3) Not Pune specific, but there was a marriage season here and a lot of them happened with zero regards to any precautions.
4) Zero adherence in general to any precautions, but again, not Pune specific.
5) More % of people willing to seek medical help at the onset of symptoms, hence point1 numbers.

What is currently a real problem here :
By the beginning for Feb we had ~100-125 patients who were in serious condition, and needed either ventilator or oxygen support.
By 14 Mar, this number has boomed to ~1300+ with close to 400 people on ventilator support. We are again looking at a very real possibility of running out of hospital beds again like we saw in July-Oct phase. You cant hide or fudge numbers like that. Death is always a lagging statistic, I am hoping and praying it does not start showing up a couple of weeks down the line.

sajobajo

Country flag
A few more points from Pune :
1) There was literally no vaccine hesitancy amongst the eligible population, even our domestic help was willing to go for it for their elders, but they were less mobile and that was a difficulty.
2) With doubts about the AZ vaccine, rumours are flying thick and fast, now the same domestic help and some including my parents are worried about the side effects, though I am doing my best to convince them that it is still safer than the virus.
3) An acute shortage of vaccines since Saturday, with almost no vaccination or <10% vaccination happening here since Saturday. The authorities are putting it down to improper replenishment requests by the vaccinators. I believe, some fudging may be going on here, and a correlation between doses consumed (Easy to verify with COWIN) and doses Issued somehow not matching up, with the rest going towards the rich and influential of the city.
4) Pune is resolutely saffron, and maybe getting the short end of the stick due to a hostile state government , coming across as policy dithering, draconian steps, resource choking etc.
5) They should do away with rigid requirements like comorbidity certificate and accept past doctor's prescription etc before jabbing away. Whats the point in turning a 59 year old away in Pune where its a problem instead of reserving it for someone in Himachal where the numbers arent a problem yet.

Edit : Between Covishield and Covaxin, I am leaning towards the latter because
1) Maybe effective against more variants, plus in general better phase-3 efficiency
2) Lesser (known) side effects, my parents are on hypertension meds, and this worries me.
3) Modi, Uddhav, Sharad Pawar all took the covaxin , perhaps it is simply the better one.

doreamon

Country flag
With all these negetive news abt covashield can SII bharat biotech come to a understanding on co producing covaxin... johnson and jahnson vaccine ll still take atleast 4/5 months or more .. Bharat biotech cnt fill the gap ... its yearly capacity is 15 crore .
It does nt have capacity of SII . There are other establishments in india that can produce covaxin as well . Govt needs to push .

sajobajo

Country flag
With all these negetive news abt covashield can SII bharat biotech come to a understanding on co producing covaxin... johnson and jahnson vaccine ll still take atleast 4/5 months or more .. Bharat biotech cnt fill the gap ... It does nt have capacity of SII .
Actually difficult to know or separate propaganda related to Brexit and the covishield vaccine. Both Pfizer and AZ vaccine have 15 and 13 blood clotting incidents reported. No such hungama about Pfizer in the press hain?
I have my doubts, but still with Covishield numbers, its our best bet right now.

doreamon

Country flag
Actually difficult to know or separate propaganda related to Brexit and the covishield vaccine. Both Pfizer and AZ vaccine have 15 and 13 blood clotting incidents reported. No such hungama about Pfizer in the press hain?
I have my doubts, but still with Covishield numbers, its our best bet right now.
In ideal scenario Pfizer vaccine wld have taken more than a decade for approval for being a new technology . They used this desparate scenario for getting approval with in a year . If saving lives was the objective they wld have tried traditional method like sinovac or covaxin .
Yeah u r right there have been adverse event associated with pfizer . But these global elites decides opinion of the world . And indian public not any exception . In any way i wld consider covaxin safer ny of them as of now .

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag

sajobajo

Country flag
What are the indications for the shortage? Not able to get vaccine appointment thru aarogya Setu app?
No, appointments are there, but when we reach the location, are greeted by boards like the below :

Translated : Due to shortage, the vaccination will be done on Wednesday.
I had called a couple of large hospitals around here and they have no stock and was told to check back next week, have scheduled an appointment next week, lets see. Situation will ease up in the couple of days.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
No, appointments are there, but when we reach the location, are greeted by boards like the below :

I had called a couple of large hospitals around here and they have no stock and was told to check back next week, have scheduled an appointment next week, lets see. Situation will ease up in the couple of days.
Oh no.. and this point is not even coming up in national media. Something is fishy, this shouldn’t occur since supply chain is centralised now.

My parents, uncles aunts above 60 got vaccinated, 10 mins waiting time and 30 mins observation that’s about it. appointment via app.

sajobajo

Country flag
Oh no.. and this point is not even coming up in national media. Something is fishy, this shouldn’t occur since supply chain is centralised now.
I definitely think so. Lets see if Pune declares that an "unusually high number of doses were wasted" in order to hide their pilferage. You are right, the issue isnt on the manufacturing or the supply side, its somehow not adding up on the recorded consumption and requested replenishment side. Thats MH for you.

Andd.................... to the ordinary folk here, the optics like the below adds to their frustrations.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
I definitely think so. Lets see if Pune declares that an "unusually high number of doses were wasted" in order to hide their pilferage. You are right, the issue isnt on the manufacturing or the supply side, its somehow not adding up on the recorded consumption and requested replenishment side. Thats MH for you.

Andd.................... to the ordinary folk here, the optics like the below adds to their frustrations.
I am not able to find district wise vaccination numbers, you have any data link?

s_madaans

Country flag

Guys, is it Marathi??

here2where

Stop these wasteful exports and divert the jabs to vaccinate our younger population who cannot isolate themselves.
We dont have enough to go around, why else is vaccination not opened up for all.
SC is hearing pleas to vaccinate all legal professionals irrespective of age, which will be highly discriminatory against other citizens.
We are on the cusp of a second wave and atleast now baba must stop preening himself in front of the mirror.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles