Would I adapt well to Indian culture?

Soul83

i would like to live in india, because all people there are brown and ethnic southasians etc. i feel like it might be positive to live with racially similar people (and in your place of origins etc.), do you think i would adapt to indian way of life?

things i dont like about india

1.discrimination of females, rape, discrimination of lower castes and untouchables etc. crime, murder etc. overall dangerous
2.pollution with dirt and chemicals, dead human bodies and animal bodies etc.
3.superstition (praying to animals and worshipping deformed humans who have a tail as gods etc.)
4.caste system (i would be a untouchable), not all humans are equal etc.
5.slums, poverty etc.
6.lack of hygiene
7.too hot climate

things i like about india

1.eastern philosophy, yoga, meditation etc. spiritual life etc.
2.discipline in schools and at work place
3.hard work, focus on education and career etc.
4.biggest democracy in the world
6.the people
7.landscape, beaches, oceans, mountains, rivers, etc.
8.rich history, civilisation, culture, temples, etc.
9.music and food

pmaitra

@Soul83, going by your picture, you are white compared to me, but yes, you could pass off a a 'white' Indian.

You would not be an untouchable in India. That thing does not exist except in rare occasions. Your other concerns are legitimate.

I would like to welcome to our brotherhood, simply because you are so curious and have a hidden love for India, the way I see it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Soul83

thanks brother. indians have different shades of colour from dark to light, so i would fit in, im black haired and dark eyed etc. and have some indian features, i wouldnt stick too much out i guess

Dhairya Yadav

I can completely assure you that your 3rd point is inaccurate .Pollution is there, but there are no human dead bodies lying here and there!
And as for your 3rd point, its not superstition, its our religion here, if praying to gods is superstition, Even Christians are superstitious. The Hindu Gods are personification of Nature, everything that helps man is personified.
Caste system is still present in some sects of society, but if you are rich, it doesnt really matter.

In the end , its what you think , not us. :)

Soul83

I can completely assure you that your 3rd point is inaccurate .Pollution is there, but there are no Animal , human dead bodies lying here and there!
And as for your 3rd point, its not superstition, its our religion here, if praying to gods is superstition, Even Christians are superstitious. The Hindu Gods are personification of Nature, everything that helps man is personified.
Caste system is still present in some sects of society, but if you are rich, it doesnt really matter.
the dead bodies are in the ganges i saw the pictures. sorry bro. i think hinduism is a good religion but maybe i dont understand it because of the way i grew up, all religions have supernatural beliefs, but hindus pray to animals and such, there is a rat temple, and rats are not known to be hygienic, they spread diseases etc. but if you are believer i dont want to fight you, sorry man.

im not rich though, so i wonder what my place would be in india, recently they found out that roma descendant of untouchables from india, so i guess i would be untouchable, i dont like the idea.

sydsnyper

Country flag
1.discrimination of females, rape, discrimination of lower castes and untouchables etc. crime, murder etc. overall dangerous
- We are not devoid of our fair share of problems. But there is a public will and mass awareness of these issues and the freedom in the system will correct itself in due time.

- Pollution, filth, uncleanliness -> you are right to a great extent.
Dead human bodies/animal bodies -> Do you mean we leave them lying around (ridiculous if you do)

3.superstition (praying to animals and worshipping deformed humans who have a tail as gods etc.)
- Praying to animals and deformed humans is not a universal truth or a culmination of the Indian ethos. Yes, there are such occurrences limited to isolated communities. But then again, the pluralism in our society allows for that and any other faith system. The only time there is a friction is when your faith steps on other's toes.

- Show me one culture on the planet which does not have a caste system in one form or another. Indian and many non-Indian intelligentsia have made it a point to keep rubbing this factor in our face instead of dealing with it. Yes, there is the caste system but it is being eradicated. In fact we have taken huge strides in eradicating the system completely, in a relatively short period of time.

Also make a note of this: Most of the reports of the caste system you hear in western media is blown out of proportion and funded and espoused mostly by Hindu bashers, the caste system is their favourite tool after polytheism.

5.slums, poverty etc.
- Yup, couldn't agree more with you. But efforts are being made, though it will take time for the efforts to make any significant change.

6.lack of hygiene
- Agree partially and please refer to point No. 1.

7.too hot climate
- We tried, but could not turn sun's heat down...

Soul83

thanks dude, for your comment. thats good what you say. every country has problems. can you tell me what is the best place to live in india etc. or what it would could be for me etc. i thought of delhi or a other big city etc.

sydsnyper

Country flag
It really depends. The cities are like every urban area in the world, everyone is busy with their own worldly matters, but you will rarely feel like an outsider. I would say that you choose a place, get to know a few people make friends and if you make sure the friends you make are genuine, you should have a wonderful time here.

PS: You could easily pass off as a rich Gujarati jeweller.

thanks dude, for your comment. thats good what you say. every country has problems. can you tell me what is the best place to live in india etc. or what it would could be for me etc. i thought of delhi or a other big city etc.

Soul83

It really depends. The cities are like every urban area in the world, everyone is busy with their own worldly matters, but you will rarely feel like an outsider. I would say that you choose a place, get to know a few people make friends and if you make sure the friends you make are genuine, you should have a wonderful time here.

PS: You could easily pass off as a rich Gujarati jeweller.
thanks. what could i work there, to support myself. i need a job etc. i dont have a university degree just high school diploma

Dhairya Yadav

the dead bodies are in the ganges i saw the pictures. sorry bro. i think hinduism is a good religion but maybe i dont understand it because of the way i grew up, all religions have supernatural beliefs, but hindus pray to animals and such, there is a rat temple, and rats are not known to be hygienic, they spread diseases etc. but if you are believer i dont want to fight you, sorry man.

im not rich though, so i wonder what my place would be in india, recently they found out that roma descendant of untouchables from india, so i guess i would be untouchable, i dont like the idea.
As I said, It depends on you. Everybody have their beliefs, opinions.

And you live in a foreign country, Im sure you would be at much higher social level in India than that in Austria. True story ;)

Have you ever came to India for vacation? If you have, than you would have noticed the differences in your culture and India's. If you havent, come for a week or two. You will find us strange and amusing at same time. India is literally a beautiful country .

thethinker

Country flag
Being an European/foreigner, you would also do well to get the opinions of others just like you (not Indians) who love India, live here or travel very often.

This is a useful forum/website that will answer all your queries when it comes to India travel/living :

India Travel Forum | IndiaMike.com

Soul83

As I said, It depends on you. Everybody have their beliefs, opinions.

And you live in a foreign country, Im sure you would be at much higher social level in India than that in Austria. True story ;)

Have you ever came to India for vacation? If you have, than you would have noticed the differences in your culture and India's. If you havent, come for a week or two. You will find us strange and amusing at same time. India is literally a beautiful country .
thanks bro. i need to go to india and make some friends, online i did already made friends with indians, but i need to go there too.

Soul83

Being an European/foreigner, you would also do well to get the opinions of others just like you (not Indians) who love India, live here or travel very often.

This is a useful forum/website that will answer all your queries when it comes to India travel/living :

India Travel Forum | IndiaMike.com
Im not just a European, im probably not exactly Indian but im also not just a European like "Frank" I have ancestral ties to india

sydsnyper

Country flag
I hope our motherland helps you reconcile with your ancestry.

Im not just a European, im probably not exactly Indian but im also not just a European like "Frank" I have ancestral ties to india

thethinker

Country flag
Yes but having been living outside India, it would be useful for you to get insights from expats here and frequent non-Indian travelers.
Hence the forum link.

Blackwater

i would like to live in india, because all people there are brown and ethnic southasians etc. i feel like it might be positive to live with racially similar people (and in your place of origins etc.), do you think i would adapt to indian way of life?

5.slums, poverty etc.
6.lack of hygiene
7.too hot climate

6.the people
9.music and food
No, with above mentioned points u will and can not able to live in india for long. may be few weeks as tourist but after that ghost of living in india will vanish and u will run back to comfortable life of austria

ghost

5.slums, poverty etc.
6.lack of hygiene
7.too hot climate

6.the people
9.music and food
Sir,
The number of things you like about India outnumber the things you don't like about India.
So you should like India.:thumb:

On a serious note,the things you have listed which you don't like
1 Yes it is there,but not so much in big towns and cities ,times are changing and discrimination against women is at downward fall.Rape is a problem ,but just as much as it is in most of the world .All males are just not pouncing on every female they lay sight on.Caste system is also eroding,it's there but not in such extreme form it used to be once.Don't need to shout out loud that you are from untouchable caste,Just tell them your ancestor were from India who settled abroad.In India being a NRI has its own previlage and status or as you may say "caste" .Crime is not that bad, all over India only in up and Bihar it's a lot, rest in most of places it is just as much as it is everywhere else.I am sure the society you live in right now is not crime free.

2 Pollution with dirt and chemicals is there ,as much as it is there in most countries of the world.I don't get it what you meant by dead human bodies?Where ever there are human ,there will be some dead also,rule of the nature.But we do not place them on display in public as you seem to assume.Dead animals,again its not that on every nook and corner you are going to see dead animals,It is as common as it is in most of the world.

3 Superstition,Even i do not believe in it .But since you are refereeing to Hindu religion ,I must clear it to you that it has a rich cultural and spiritual heritage ,things mentioned in our ancient text and ideology cannot be just written off ,there are reason for every act.And one you are stating as deformed being are our "god" least you can do it ,is to show some respect.Nobody is forcing it on you, follow what you like do not follow if you don't like.

4 Caste system ,as i have said earlier do not go around as touting urself as untouchable and you will be fine ,and even if you say that you are untouchable you will be fine with the youngsters.You are Roma describe urself as one, no need to go in details.

5 Slum,poverty . You won't have to live in slums ,and you should not be too much bothered with others who live.As the one who live in the most posh flat may be the most unhappy souls, while those who live in slums the most happy ones,It all depend on the your attitude towards life.And it the end "HAPPINESS" is all that matter .

6 Lack of hygiene,If you are talking about personal hygiene ,I don't agree with you.If you are talking about public hygiene,agree with you.Better governance and awareness among people will help to eradicate it,you might help by spreading awareness.

7 Hot climate,depends where you want to live.India has all sought of region, with all type of climate,if you are looking for cold region, Shimla is there for you.In big cities Bangalore has the best climate not too hot nor too cold .There are places over here where you can do skiing,then there are places where you can ride a camel in desert,there is hill with beautiful greenery ,plains with vast jungles and fields,wide ocean shores,back waters ,each and every thing you can ever imagine.

About things you like ,good for you.

At last i would like to offer you my humble advice,please do not form preconceived notion, good or bad about India in your mind.Come with a "blank" mind and keep it "open".Before making a decision to stay permanently ,come here as a tourist,travel across the country ,mix with people,talk with people,feel India.And let me assure you India is diverse land ,each and every place will vary right from climatic conditions,to people,their way of living and their cuisine.In the end whether you like it or not ,but you will have a lot of new "experience " that i can assure you. You come across as a nice and gentle "soul" you would do good among Indians ,just be yourself and remember there are good and bad people everywhere ,just like there are good and bad experiences in everything,In the end whether good outweighs the bad or bad outweighs the good is all that matter for one to decide ,and for that you have to experience yourself.

Srinivas_K

Country flag

5.slums, poverty etc.
6.lack of hygiene
7.too hot climate

6.the people
9.music and food
People are pointing out that India has more number of rapes. Fact is India has 1.2 Billion people and the incidents related to rape are also in proportion, our media is highlighting these thing off late and giving more importance.

there is one head line recently showing that "India has highest number of suicides", I wonder why is it a head line when India has second highest population.

It seems this is a negative propaganda against Indians in media and on Internet.

India is an attractive industry for tourism and India is a safe place compared to western gun culture induced societies.

India laws are not adequate and judgment often takes lot of time, progress should be made in this direction.

This rape issue should be dealt in an appropriate way rather than inducing paranoia and there by painting a bad picture of India by the media.

Last edited:

Eesh

Parawise'

1. Yet to know of a country free discrimination and other crimes you have listed. Utopias do not exist. Come on, even Obama had hold aloft his white mother, g'parents. He made it a point to deny being a muslim.

2. Dirt cannot be wished away, Delhi in summers can have a thick pall of fine dust. Yet to know of a an industry which does not cause some pollution. Who told you that dead bodies, human and animal, are lying around and rotting?

3. Nobody forces to believe in Indian faiths. But then a superstitions like "creation science" is absent.

4. Unaccountability depends on place and time. Will you embrace a doctor treating Ebola patients, before he has thoroughly cleaned himself> He is temporarily untouchable.

5. 6. They are found in many countries. But you need not visit unless you want to derive some ugly pleasures.

7. Wait till we air condition the country. But positive side: Ebola cannot survive here even in winter.

PS. There has not been nor any anti semitism, Religious groups don't need any registration. There is no Church Tax, jazia etc. So different from Austria.

You may not like the sight of swastika everywhere.

Last edited:

Rushil51

Country flag
It really depend on your choice. Do you want to live in a metropolis or something like peaceful,clean and green cities? If it is the latter I would recommend Chandigarh. It is a pretty green and clean city. Clean and wide roads etc. (Google "Chandigarh" and "Chandigarh streets" if you don't believe me). For former you may need other members help.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles