World Cup win moves Narang up

nandu

World Cup win moves Narang up

In today's latest updated ISSF world rankings, Olympic Gold Quest sponsored Narang climbed up two places from 6 to 4, to close on to the Olympic medal winners.

India's rifle ace, Gagan Narang's brilliant effort of 597/600 earned India the lone bronze medal at the recent ISSF World Cup at Beijing.

His win might have faded with all the IPL controversies but the shooter once again proved his class at the world stage by bagging his sixth world cup medal so far.

Narang has consistantly improved his ranking from 9 early this year to 4.

"Climbing up the world ranking is surely a good thing to look at.
Hopefully if all goes well I would want to touch the number one spot again, it feels good to be ranked one amongst the best in the world", said Narang.

Narang was ranked number one in 2006, in the year in which he had won four gold medals in Melbourne Commonwealth Games and a World Cup gold in China.
Since then a series of narrow misses have kept Narang away from the summit.

"I am concentrating on setting my new equipment before the coming World Championship, Asian Games and the Commonwealth Games in New Delhi", said Narang.

When asked if he was bothered about the IPL controversies over shadowing his medal, Gagan replied "I guess the IPL controversies even over shadowed the IPL matches, leave alone my win".

Six medals in the World Cups, four in Commonwealth Games and three in Asian Games along with two world records, still has not earned Gagan the prestigious Khel Ratna, but looks like that does not bother the shooter much who believes in letting his gun do the talking.

http://www.espnstar.com/other-sports/news/detail/item433803/World-Cup-win-moves-Narang-up/

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles