World Cup T20 2009.

Who do you think will be the semi-finalists?

• Australia

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • England

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • India

Votes: 17 77.3%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Pakistan

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Souh Africa

Votes: 17 77.3%
  • Sri Lanka

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • West Indies

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Su-47

Well, I know we have a thread for cricket, but since most of us here are cricket crazy Indians, I think T20 cricket deserves a thread of its own. Please post all of your T20 related news and opinions here.

The poll allows the voter to choose more than one option. There was no way to limit it to just 4 options, so voters, please choose only 4

Su-47

Well, today both the finalists in the last world cup lost their warm-up matches. See the scorecards here

India 161/6 (20.0 ov, RA Jadeja 41*, Harbhajan Singh 7*, IG Butler 1/32) - Match over | Live Scorecard | Cricinfo.com
Pak 127 (19.4 ov, Iftikhar Anjum 11*, WD Parnell 1/16) - Match over | Live Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

What really annoys me is the way we always lose to NZ in T20. We are the world champions, but we just have to mess up against the Black Caps.

Even today, we were well ahead of the required run rate before Raina got out, but after that it was just a downward slump. the Pathan brothers failed to fire, and ravindra Jadeja, despite being a settled batsman, couldn't find the boundary.

I know its a warm-up match and we didn't play with our best squad, but its still very frustrating to watch India throw away a game.

threadbrowser

Somehow i dont rate our chances this time round. Our team is tired from non stop cricket and strain of the many matches played in IPL. My bet is on South Africa this time round.

johnee

Somehow i dont rate our chances this time round. Our team is tired from non stop cricket and strain of the many matches played in IPL. My bet is on South Africa this time round.
Most south africans also played in IPL. Anyway, this fatigue thingy is exaggaratted in my view, specially in T20s. The matches are just for 3hrs and then players can relax......

Su-47

I think India is still favourites, despite losing yesterday. But other teams like SA and Aus are breathing down our necks, so we can't afford any complacency.

The nature of this tournament is such that any test playing nation can beat any other. Even Bangladesh put up a very good fight against Aus yesterday.

Even last world cup, SA and Aus where favourites and nobody gave India and Pak a chance, but we both reached the finals.

The key is not to lose our way during the tournament, and to keep giving our 100% for every match.

threadbrowser

Johnee, while some players from other countries were there our full team was committed and the pressure to perform was the highest on them. I think that while the physical duration of the matches might be lower, the concentration and mental commitment needed to perform is still very high. Therefore the mental fatigue aspect comes into focus.

indian_sukhoi

This time, Mostly it will the South Africans or India who is going to win the Cup.

Su-47

For all those who doubted the ability of the Indian team - voila!

India v Pakistan at The Oval, Jun 3, 2009 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

If anyone watched yesterday's warm-up match, they'll understand why India are touted as the favourites. We humiliated Pak.

They had all the advantages. They won the toss and elected to bat first. Our bowlers had to bowl on a track that offered no swing (almost all pitches in England are great batting tracks if there is no swing), and we restricted them to 158, despite some poor death bowling.

Then, when it was India's turn to bat, our batsmen had to contend with swing, and play under lights. Yet they made the chase look so easy, that from the first ball on, India were in charge. Gautam and Rohit established utter dominance over the Pak bowlers, and when Rohit finally fell, Dhoni played a couple of beautiful shots to show his form, and we chased down the 158 with 9 wickets in hand and 3 overs to spare.

A close, thrilling game has its merits, but when it comes to India-Pak, utter decimation of the opposition is much sweeter.

Here are some interesting articles on the match. Enjoy

India v Pakistan, ICC World Twenty20 warm-up Report | Cricket News | ICC World Twenty20 2009 | Cricinfo.com

India sound ominous warning | Cricket News | ICC World Twenty20 2009 | Cricinfo.com

More than just a warm-up | Cricket News | ICC World Twenty20 2009 | Cricinfo.com

ZOOM

Founding Member
I would bet on Austrialians, although they have been subdued in previous outing, but this time round they have good balanced side which is more then enough to take on anyone.

Su-47

I would bet on Austrialians, although they have been subdued in previous outing, but this time round they have good balanced side which is more then enough to take on anyone.
Their side was better last time around. They had the firepower of Hayden and Gilchrist in their ranks, and most importantly, a streak of victories behind them. Yet they lost to both India and Pak.

That's the nature of T20. Sometimes, no matter how good a team is, a single match-winning performance from one player, backed up by some decent performance from the rest of the team, is enough to send the best team in the tournament packing.

Now, I'm not underestimating the Australian side. They are very potent and well-balanced, but they are not invincible. I would rate them in the same league as India and South Africa.

I think India, SA and Aus are a notch above the others.

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
With this current incident, I think its the final nail on the coffin of Symonds...

Su-47

Symonds is one of the best examples of talent thrown away. Jesse Ryder and robin Uthappa seem determined to follow in Symond's footsteps as well.

Discipline is essential in any sport, but many think that they can bend the rules without consequence. I am glad that sports authorities decided not to accommodate such indiscipline.

Cricket is a sport watched by over a billion people. These players are accountable to the audienc, whether they like it or not. If a player can't act responsibly at this level, he deserves to get the boot.

S.A.T.A

Every time India goes to tournament with this much hype,invariably they have disappointed us.remember all the hype during the ICC word cup,it was as if India would just have turn up att all matches and they will come home with the cup.When they went to the last Twent20 world cup it was in the shadow on the WC disappointment,most had written them off.

All the hype apart,I would be surprised if India and SA don't make it to the final.

Su-47

What T20 has proven is that any side can beat any other side. Some teams look stronger on paper, but it all comes down to performance on the day it counts.

Look at IPL. The Delhi Daredevils and Chennai Super Kings were cruising during the preliminaries, but failed to click during the semis. We don't want that happening to India this time.

The key to victory is consistent performance.

Su-47

I have added a poll and voted myself. Please contribute to the thread by submitting your vote on which team you think will win.

Note: The poll asks for who you think will win, not which team you support. Since this is an Indian forum, with the majority of members being Indian, I have taken the liberty of assuming most of us will be supporting India.

johnee

Symonds has been sent home due to behaviour reasons. But I fail to understan why this excessive morals should be attached to sporstperson. As long as he performs on the field who cares whether he is drunk or not.....

Aussies are doing a big mistake by sending symonds away. I think there is fair chance that Aussies may not even qualify for the next stage, they are in a group of death and WI and SL cant be underestimated.

S.A.T.A

Even without Symonds,Aussies are a good outfit,Hayden and Gilly are in top form.cant write them off too soon.

johnee

Even without Symonds,Aussies are a good outfit,Hayden and Gilly are in top form.cant write them off too soon.
Hayden and Gilly?!? Are you on the same page?
he he.....may be you are still in IPL hangover.:blum3:

Hayden, Gilly, Mc Grath, Warney have all retired from International cricket(including T20s). Now, they have sent back Symonds. They are only left with Ricky Ponting and he is no 'thop' in T20 cricket.

S.A.T.A

Hayden and Gilly?!? Are you on the same page?
he he.....may be you are still in IPL hangover.:blum3:

Hayden, Gilly, Mc Grath, Warney have all retired from International cricket(including T20s). Now, they have sent back Symonds. They are only left with Ricky Ponting and he is no 'thop' in T20 cricket.
:blum3::blum3:

Oh dear i forgot that completely...........

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles