World Badminton Championship, Hyderabad

NSG_Blackcats

Member of The Month OCTOBER 2009
England pulls out of badminton Worlds​

A terrorist threat has prompted England to pull out of the badminton World Championships scheduled to begin on Monday in the southern Indian city of Hyderabad.Badminton England released a statement saying there had been a reported threat against the Championships by the Pakistan-based Islamic militant group Lashkar-e-Taiba.

Chief executive Adrian Christy said there was consultation with the British Foreign Office and British High Commission and local police before making the decision to withdraw from the event - second only to the Olympics as badminton's leading tournament."This was an incredibly tough decision and one we didn't take lightly," Christy said in a statement. "We were not prepared to risk the safety of our players, coaches and staff in what we felt could have been a very volatile environment.

"The conclusion is that safety is of paramount importance and therefore, with great regret, the team will be returning home immediately." High performance director Ian Moss said the decision was supported unanimously by the squad. "Our athletes were extremely well prepared for these Championships but, at the end of the day, personal safety must take priority over performance," Moss said.

Link

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Just like England losing/lost significance in the present world, their absence in the championships is not significant.

NSG_Blackcats

Security rolled out for Badminton World Cup​

A huge security force descended on Saturday (8th, Aug) on the venue of the World Badminton Championships in the southern Indian city of Hyderabad, where a force of 1,000 officials will aim to ensure the safety of participants. Police Commissioner Prabhakar Reddy said a complex security operation had been set up to protect the players, with officials monitoring them from the moment they arrived in the city. "We have deputed 1,000 policemen for a five-layer security cover for the players and the tournament, even though there's no specific security threat to the event," Reddy said ahead of the Aug. 10-16 worlds.

Security concerns over sports events in South Asia have existed since a terror attack on the Sri Lanka cricket team in Lahore, Pakistan. Seven players, an assistant coach and a match official were among those injured in the attack. Six policemen and a driver were killed in the ambush by heavily armed gunmen. In November, terror attacks in Mumbai left 164 people dead and forced the cancellation in India of a Twenty20 cricket tournament involving provincial teams from five countries. Badminton World Federation, the sport's governing body, commissioned an independent security appraisal of the event before Hyderabad got the go-ahead.

Nearly 450 participants from 43 countries will participate in the championship. We're determined to throw a foolproof security blanket around (them)," Reddy said.Badminton World Federation's security consultant, John Ahlert, said there was "no need for concern.""No player has raised any security doubt about the tournament and we've been working with the police authorities to ensure a safe tournament," Ahlert said at the Balayogi Stadium, while players from several nations went through their training sessions."We've had a look at the overall security aspect. All nations have different security needs," Ahlert said. "We've given our input to the organizers and police officials."

Link

NSG_Blackcats

Just like England losing/lost significance in the present world, their absence in the championships is not significant.
As players from Malaysia, Indonesia, China, Korea, Denmark, France etc. are participating, the absence of England will have no impact on the tournament.

NSG_Blackcats

World Badminton Championship to go on smoothly: BWF​

HYDERABAD: Irrespective of England pulling out of the World Badminton Championships at Gatchibowl in Hyderabad, citing terror threat, Badminton World Federation (BWF) on Sunday expressed satisfaction with the security arrangements in place. The BWF team was led by COO Thomas Lund, who told the reporters, “We are happy with the security arrangements. We are confident that the championship will take place smoothly on schedule.” Lund also said that BWF was “unhappy” with the turn of events.

Link

NSG_Blackcats

India slams English pullout from World Badminton Championship​

HYDERABAD: The Home Ministry on Sunday rued England's last-minute pullout from the World Badminton Championship in Hyderabad, terming it "over-reaction". "This is unfortunate and an over-reaction," Union Home Secretary GK Pillai said. "The security arrangements in Hyderabad are good and the Government of India is committed to ensure the complete security of all competitors and the championship," he added.

Barely 24 hours before the elite tournament gets underway in Hyderabad, England withdrew its eight-member contingent citing a "specific Lashkar-e-Toiba" threat. England's eleventh hour withdrawal came a day after Home Minister P Chidambaram had assured all that there was no specific threat to the event and a foolproof security system had been put in place for the purpose.

Link

NSG_Blackcats

Indonesia's top doubles pair withdraw from worlds​

CHENNAI, India (Reuters) - Olympic champions Markis Kido and Hendra Setiawan will not be defending their men's doubles title at the badminton world championships in Hyderabad next week due to injury. The top-ranked pair from Indonesia were forced to withdraw due to an injury to Kido, a Badminton World Federation spokesman said on Friday. "They (All-Indonesia Badminton Association) have not specified the nature of the injury," S. Selvam, BWF media and communications manager, added. Kido and Setiawan were favourites to defend their crown after winning the Olympic doubles title in Beijing last year.

Link

johnee

Well said. England are at best a second rate country and in badminton they wont be missed. Their best player in men's and women's ranks somewhere near 30. That explains about the rest of the team.

But what I am not happy with is the kind of coverage that this tournament has gotten. No hype around it(and I am living in Hyderabad). When Chandrababu Naidu was the CM, Hyderabad hosted Afro-Asian games and one had to see it to believe the kind of hype given. This tournament would have done well to get some hype as well(specially, with Saina Nehwal, a Hyderabadi, participating).
And then, our national media(dhimmis)! They concentrated more on terror threat to tournament than the actual tournament.

Flint

This is really unfortunate, and the England team definitely overreacted. That is the consensus among both the other teams in the tournament as well as the Indian government.

Even since the IPL was forced to move out of India, this idea has spread that India is not a safe place to host sports tournaments. I hope that the Commonwealth Games will help to get rid of this.

johnee

This is really unfortunate, and the England team definitely overreacted. That is the consensus among both the other teams in the tournament as well as the Indian government.

Even since the IPL was forced to move out of India, this idea has spread that India is not a safe place to host sports tournaments. I hope that the Commonwealth Games will help to get rid of this.
Flint,
you just mentioned it. It all started with IPL. If only the then Govt had the foresight to see whats coming and instead of forcing IPL out of India, if they had somehow accomodated it and held it successfully in India, then this wouldnt have happened. Pakistan had used that oppurtunity well to paint entire sub-continent as terror-hit(meanwhile claiming itself as victim of terror). Indian Govt was fooled.
Then we started having repurcussions of that decision. Aussie team didnt play in Davis cup. Now, England. Expect more when Commonwealth games come.

IBM

Sorry to hear. Thanks to pakistan, she has made south asia a red area. I have doubt about common wealth games and cricket matches now . All they need is small bomb blast.thats it. There is saying" where prostitute lives the whole street defamed and called redlight area. pak has made south asia as redlight.:(:)(:)(:)(:)(:)((

dave lukins

Professional

They did certainly over-react and they should be ashamed of themselves. I also think they showed disrespect to their hosts. The Scottish team are dismayed and disappointed by the English withdrawl as this has now led to an 'over secured' feeling. A full 'explanation is below.

BBC NEWS | UK | Scotland | Badminton team feel 'prisoners'

RPK

Indyakudimahan
Country flag
Swine flu scare hits World Badminton tournament in Hyderabad - India - NEWS - The Times of India

HYDERABAD: Misbun Sidek, coach of the Malaysian team participating in the World Badminton Championships here, has displayed symptoms of swine flu Doctors at Haffkine institute, Parel, carry out tests for swine flu in a laboratory. (TOI)
and his samples have been sent for testing for influenza A (H1N1) virus, organisers of the event said on Tuesday.

"Sidek complained of throat pain last evening. His samples have been sent for testing. We don't want to take any chance. We are taking all precautions," Pullela Gopichand, director of the organising committee and Indian team coach, said.

Some policemen at the venue of the championship were seen wearing masks on Monday night.

More than 250 players from 42 countries are competing in the six-day event that began on Monday.

The championship is the first of the series of world-class sporting event that India would be hosting ahead of the 2010 Commonwealth Games in Delhi.

NSG_Blackcats

Bhat loses thrilling first round encounter​

Hyderabad, Aug 11 (IANS) India’s Arvind Bhat came close to upsetting ninth seed Yu Hsien Hsieh of Chinese Tapiei but lost in a thriller in the first round of the World Badminton Championships here Tuesday. World No.24 Bhat saved three match points and lost one to go down 14-21, 21-19, 22-24 in more than an hour in the Balayogi Stadium. It was a see-saw contest and Bhat came back strongly in the second game. The Indian made a remarkable fight back in the third game when he was down 4-11 but could not hold his nerve in crucial points. “I deserved to win. I was feeling good about the match. I played him twice before and have lost because of some unforced errors. He is beatable and I was well-prepared for this match,” said Bhat.

Link

venkat

Sorry to hear. Thanks to pakistan, she has made south asia a red area. I have doubt about common wealth games and cricket matches now . All they need is small bomb blast.thats it. There is saying" where prostitute lives the whole street defamed and called redlight area. pak has made south asia as redlight.:(:)(:)(:)(:)(:)((
Yes IBM! This is what that bloody hell of a country wants to do to India!

NSG_Blackcats

Saina advances to third round at world championships​

HYDERABAD: Ace Indian shuttler Saina Nehwal hardly showed any fatigue from a recent bout of chickenpox as she stormed into the pre-quarterfinals of World Badminton Championships with a straight-game victory over Russian Anastasia Prokopenko on Wednesday. The 20-year-old, who was laid low by chicken pox just a few days before the championship, outplayed her rival 21-10 21-17 in 27 minutes in the women's singles second round. The local favourite faces Bulgarian Petya Nedelcheva on Thursday.

Among other Indians, men's doubles pair of Akshay Dewalkar and Jishnu Sanyal squandered a position of strength to go down 21-17 13-21 18-21 against 16th seed Vitalij Durkin and Alexander Nikolaenko of Russia in 40 minutes. Meanwhile, top seed Mi Zhou of Hong Kong beat Kiwi Michelle Chan Ky 21-11 21-15, while men's number one seed Chong Wei Lee beat Ola Fagbemi of Nigeria 21-11 21-14. Mercurial world number four Taufik Hidayat of Indonesia defeated Mathieu Lo Ying Ping 21-17 21-15 in another men's singles encounter. Sixth seed Saina, who got a bye in the first round, started aggressively and opened up a 12-8 lead in little time.

Leading 16-8 after that, Saina smashed five straight points to pocket the first game easily. However, she struggled a bit in the next game as a change of ends led to slower drift for her. In a battle of nerves, the two rivals went neck and neck from 5-5 to 14-14 but after a see-saw battle, it was the Hyderabadi who had the last laugh. "In the first game, the drift was fast so I played a more attacking game and hit more smashes. She couldn't pick up those but in the same game I was on the other side, so knowing the wind I involved her in some long rallies," Saina told reporters. "I have played her for the first time but yesterday I saw her play. She has some good drives. I was confident about my game and I am happy that I started on the right note," she added. The world number six Indian also asserted she was completely fit. "I am fit and I didn't feel too tired. She was an okay player but on Thursday I play a much tougher opponent, my fitness will be tested," she said. About the ubiquitous crowd which cheered her every move, Saina said she was hoping for the spectator-count to go up with every match. "It wasn't very different. I wasn't tense but I think it's good for the game that so many people are cheering the players. It has been a very good support and I hope more crowds will turn up tomorrow," she said.

Link

RPK

Indyakudimahan
Country flag
After Eng, Austrian duo leave World Championship- TIMESNOW.tv - Latest Breaking News, Big News Stories, News Videos

Even as the World Badminton Championship is in full swing in Hyderabad, there have been a few jarring notes. After England's pull out over a terror threat, two Austrian shuttlers have also decided to make a quick move from the city and that, too, without informing the organisers.

Though the championship in Hyderabad which has proved to be quite a show stealer, success hasn't come without hiccups. The latest incident to mar the world event was orchestrated by two Austrians - Juergen Koch and Peter Zauner, the Austrian pair who sneaked out of the tournament without even informing the organisers.

A World Badminton Federation official confirmed the incident and attributed the pull-out to security concerns and the swine-flu scare in the country.

"It's their personal decision but they didn't inform us. I think they might have been scared of the last two days' developments of security threat and swine flu scare," the BWF official said on condition of anonymity.

Koch-Zauner were scheduled to play their doubles match against sixth seed Mathias Boe and Carsten Mogensen, but gave a walkover and pulled out.

Their action follows that of Badminton England which decided to pull out of the tournament over an alleged terror threat.

Australia singles player Michael Lahnsteiner, who lost to sixth seed Indonesian Sony Dwi Kuncoro on Tuesday, and his coach have stayed back.

The withdrawl of the Austrian pair won't harm the tournament, but it certainly shows an unprofessional attitude on their part. Will the Badminton World Federation take notice and punish them?

Pintu

The Telegraph - Calcutta (Kolkata) | Sports | A good match, says Saina

A good match, says Saina

OUR CORRESPONDENT

Saina Nehwal

Hyderabad: As the World No.6 made her way through the crowd to talk to the media after victory in her opener at the World Badminton Championships, all that could be heard at the Gachibowli stadium was the chanting of the name ‘Saina’ over and over again.

The 19-year-old Saina Nehwal took 27 minutes to beat Russian Anastasia Prokopenko 21-10, 21-17 Wednesday in her first match after recovering from a mild bout of chicken pox, to move into the pre-quarter finals. The local favourite had received a bye in the first round.

The following are excerpts

Q: How did you feel after the match?

A: It was a good match. It was the first time I was playing Anastasia and it was not that tough. However, I was a bit surprised with her dives. She recovered certain shots I was sure she wouldn’t be able to.

Was fitness a problem?

I didn’t get tired while playing. In fact, I garnered confidence after beating her (Anastasia), as this was my first match after the illness. However, it is tomorrow (Thursday) that my fitness will be tested as I play the 10th seed Petya Nedelcheva from Bulgaria. I have played her twice before and beaten her once… that was the last time we met at the Indonesia Open earlier this year. I hope to play better than I did against Anastasia.

After the first game, which you won with ease, why did the scores run so even in the second?

In the first game I played a lot of smashes but in the second I stuck to rallies as the air conditioning draught differed on the either side of the court. It was slow on one side but fast on the other. In the first game, I attacked as the draught supported me. In the second, my smashes weren’t going that well. The draught had begun to help Anastasia so I stuck to long rallies, which I knew would help.

How much of a support has the crowd been?

I’m happy with the crowd support and it’s great for the game that so many spectators are coming. It definitely felt good with all the cheering and support… I hope this continues throughout the tournament.

NSG_Blackcats

Saina Nehwal in World Badminton quarter-finals​

NEW DELHI: India's Saina Nehwal sailed into the quarter-finals of the World Badminton Championships beating Bulgarian Petya Nedelchechva on Thursday. Saina beat the tenth seeded Bulgarian 18-21, 21-18 and 21-10 in an intensely fought match.

Link

NSG_Blackcats

Pre-quarter-finals results World Badminton Championship​

Women's singles (pre-quarter-finals):

Saina Nehwal (IND x6) bt Petya Nedelcheva (BUL x10) 18-21, 21-18, 21-10

Xie Xingfang (CHN x5) bt Salakjit Ponsana (THA) 21-16, 14-21, 21-9

Zhou Mi (HKG x1) bt Ai Goto (JPN) 21-11, 21-18

Lu Lan (CHN x7) bt Wang Chen (HKG x9) 21-18, 21-14

Juliane Schenk (GER x11) bt Wang Yihan (CHN x4) 21-18, 21-15

Pi Hongyan (FRA x8) bt Maria Kristin Yulianti (INA x15) 21-13, 21-14

Wang Lin (CHN x2) bt Hwang Hye Youn (KOR x12) 21-10, 23-21

Tine Rasmussen (DEN x3) bt Yip Pui Yin (HKG x13) 21-13, 11-21, 21-15

Men's singles (pre-quarter-finals):

Lin Dan (CHN x5) bt Dicky Palyama (NED) 21-11, 21-11

Peter Gade (DEN x3) bt Chan Yan Kit (HKG x10) 21-11, 21-12

Taufik Hidayat (INA x4) bt Yu Hsing Hsieh (TPE x9) 21-15, 21-19

Simon Santoso (INA x13) bt Kenichi Tago (JPN) 21-10, 21-12

Jan O Jorgensen (DEN) bt Boonsak Ponsana (THA x16) 18-21, 21-14, 21-14

Lee Chong Wei (MAS x1) bt Tien Minh Nguyen (VIE x14) 21-13, 21-17

Chen Jin (CHN x2) bt Wong Choong Hann (MAS x12) 21-12, 21-7

Sony Dwi Kuncoro (INA x6) bt Chetan Anand (IND x15) 21-16, 21-16.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles