Worked at behest of Pak govt, ISI: Rana

Blackwater

David Coleman Headley and Tahawwur Hussain Rana, accused in the 2008 Mumbai massacre plot, are expected to tell a Chicago court that they thought they were working for Lashkar-e-Toiba as well as Pakistan's Inter-Services Intelligence. Rana, a Pakistani-Canadian, is to go on trial on May 16.

According to recent filings, first reported by Canada's Globe and Mail newspaper, Rana argues he is a Pakistani patriot who was led to believe the ISI wanted his help. He sought the equivalent of diplomatic immunity for this reason. On April 1, Judge Harry Leinenweber ruled that defence to be "objectively unreasonable".

"Defendant's proposed defence is that his alleged illegal acts of providing material support to terrorists", at least those related to the Mumbai attacks "were done at the behest of the Pakistani government and the ISI, not the Lashkar terrorist organisation," reads the decision. He argues that he is entitled to "a public-authority defence because he acted under the authority 'whether actual or apparent' of the Pakistani government and the ISI".

Headley turned FBI informer in a bid to escape the death penalty. He is expected to reveal details of the Mumbai massacre surveillance scheme when he gives evidence against Rana. He is also expected to reveal how he anglicised his name, videotaped targets in Mumbai, cultivated ties with LeT and briefed his handlers in Pakistan.

"I also told him (Rana) ? how I had been asked to perform espionage work for ISI," Headley, a Pakistani-American, testified to the grand jury.

Disclosing how he entered India under a 'false flag' to scout out targets, Headley told the grand jury that "I told (Mr. Rana) about my assignment to conduct surveillance in Mumbai. ? I explained to him that the immigration office would provide a cover story for why I was in Mumbai."

Rana has been indicted on three counts of providing material support to terrorism or a terrorist organisation, including one count of providing material support in preparation for and in carrying out the Mumbai attacks.

Around June 2006, Headley allegedly traveled to Chicago, advised Rana of his assignment to scout potential targets in India, and obtained approval from Rana, who owned First World Immigration Services in Chicago and elsewhere, to open a First World office in Mumbai as cover for his activities, according to the Justice Department.

Rana allegedly directed an individual associated with First World to prepare documents supporting Headley's cover story of opening a First World office in Mumbai, and advised Headley how to obtain a visa for travel to India. Headley misrepresented his birth name, his father's true name and the purpose of his travel in his visa application, according to the indictment.

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2011/20110413/main3.htm

AOE

Interesting debate, I think I agree with those speakers from New Delhi that we'll have to wait until we hear the result from the trial in New York to see what's going on.

SHASH2K2

Aoe truth is that nothing is going to happen in this regard. result was pretty obvious from response of American representative and its obvious America will not Abandon Pakistan unless it it out from Afghanistan.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod

Last edited by a moderator:

sandeepdg

This was clear to us from day one of the investigations !! What more proof can anyone ask for now ?

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Question is what we can do now, since now it has come to light that mumbai terrorist attack is sponsor by state of Pakistan, if we dont do anything more attack will come.

AOE

Aoe truth is that nothing is going to happen in this regard. result was pretty obvious from response of American representative and its obvious America will not Abandon Pakistan unless it it out from Afghanistan.
That is true, although overall nobody is really making much progress here. Nothing is being done about this, but Pakistan isn't getting away with it either with all the drone attacks and agents in their country.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
13th December attack at Indian Parliament was on the very politicians. But they're so dim that they couldn't yet hang the ones involved and arrested.
If you compare this with 26/11 it was about the people, so way low in their list. Is there even an honorable result in sight? :(

The only good thing I see happening past 26/11 is that NSG was revived and better organized to manage any future events of that sort.

Regards,
Virendra

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles