Won't tolerate anti-India activities, says Bangladesh

ejazr

Ambassador
WonÂ’t tolerate anti-India activities, says Bangla - Indian Express

India and Bangladesh are likely to sign a Mutual Legal Assistance Treaty (MLAT) for transfer of sentenced prisoners by the end of December or early January next year.

The first person to be handed over, once the MLAT for Transfer of Sentenced Prisoners is signed, will be jailed ULFA general secretary Anup Chetia.

Chetia has been seeking political asylum in Bangladesh, but is wanted in India for various crimes, including extortion, kidnapping and murder.

After the talks between Home Secretary R K Singh and his Bangladeshi counterpart Monzur Hossain, Singh said: "We had talks on Anup Chetia. There are some legal issues involved. We are happy with the progress."

Hossain said there was zero tolerance for anti-India activities in Bangladesh, adding that the country would not tolerate anti-India activities on its soil and gave the assurance that fugitives like Chetia will be handed over to India "at the earliest".

Addressing a joint press conference at the end of the 12th India-Bangladesh Home Secretary-level talks, Hossain said Dhaka was keen to further improve security cooperation with New Delhi by exploring new areas for mutual benefit of the two neighbours. "Anti-India forces are not active in Bangladesh. We don't allow them to do anything like that. But sometimes things do happen, that is a different issue. But they will not be tolerated. We have zero tolerance for them."

Both the Home Secretaries reaffirmed their commitment not to allow the territory of either country to be used for any activity inimical to each other's interests.

Asked about the possibility of deportation of Chetia, languishing in a jail in Dhaka since 1997, Hossain said due to some legal issues, he had not been deported but hoped those issues would be resolved soon.

sukhish

hat's off shekh hasina administration, she is tough lady. also she was voted by more than 2/3 majority of bangladeshis. which tells even though the country is muslim majority, but have have very good secular character as well. India should give full trade support for bangaldesh. heck I would like
visit bangaldesh some time in future.

mayfair

hat's off shekh hasina administration, she is tough lady. also she was voted by more than 2/3 majority of bangladeshis. which tells even though the country is muslim majority, but have have very good secular character as well. India should give full trade support for bangaldesh. heck I would like visit bangaldesh some time in future.
May I remind you that they are yet to provide us with transit facilities or access to the Chittagong port. The same Bangladesh populace voted overwhelmingly for Khaleda Zia and Jatiya and Jamaat, who are rabidly anti-India, religious bigots and pro-Pakistan. It is very likely that the same may happen in the next elections given the political history. Would you be then willing to admit that your claims of a secular character were premature to say the least?

Sheikh Hasina needs Indian support to keep one step ahead of her rivals, many of whom are directly implicated in deposition of her father and the murder of her entire family.

IBSA

Country flag
hat's off shekh hasina administration, she is tough lady. also she was voted by more than 2/3 majority of bangladeshis. which tells even though the country is muslim majority, but have have very good secular character as well. India should give full trade support for bangaldesh. heck I would like
I think India should help in Bangladesh's development also, for it is a much poor and military weaker country than Pak and don't threat India regional hegemony. This will reduce the bangladeshis' immigration for India and xenophobic problems associated with them, as in Assam, at same time that avoid the Bangladesh territory be used to encircle India by China.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Sheik Hasina is a comfortable neighbour.

Khaleda is the one who is always upto mischief. Can't blame her. Her husband was a Pakistan army chap, who deserted to Bangladesh, but his heart lay in Pindi!

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
Whether Khaleda or Hasina, what I have observed is that ordinary Bangladeshis are anti-India. In general, this statement holds true in more than 85% cases I have encountered. Of course I am not talking about rickshaw-wallahs or labourers - I don't know about them. I am referring to the educated cyberspace crowd of Bangladesh, many of them settled/living in the West.

I don't trust that nation as long as this anti-India streak is present in the elite population of BD.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Sheikh Hasina needs Indian support to keep one step ahead of her rivals, many of whom are directly implicated in deposition of her father and the murder of her entire family.
What could be the reasons, as per you since you seem to know, that she cannot muster support within her country?

Are you suggesting that she is being propped up by India and otherwise, she is a dead loss to Bangladesh?

And what earth shaking support is India giving Sheik Hasina and her Govt?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Whether Khaleda or Hasina, what I have observed is that ordinary Bangladeshis are anti-India. In general, this statement holds true in more than 85% cases I have encountered. Of course I am not talking about rickshaw-wallahs or labourers - I don't know about them. I am referring to the educated cyberspace crowd of Bangladesh, many of them settled/living in the West.

I don't trust that nation as long as this anti-India streak is present in the elite population of BD.
Cyberspace has sponsored Bangladeshis as also Indians on foreign fora.

Not reliable a barometer.

Visit Bangladesh and you will get the feel.

I meet some Bangaldesh Army officers and Muktajoddis (Freedom Fighters) every year when we celebrate the 1971 War in Eastern Command. I daresay that they are anti Indians.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag

I meet some Bangaldesh Army officers and Muktajoddis (Freedom Fighters) every year when we celebrate the 1971 War in Eastern Command. I daresay that they are anti Indians.
Maybe it is not really very reliable, but I was shaken by the amount of hate and the fact that almost every Bangladeshi was severely anti-India. Personally, it was not expected at all.

And your last sentence: "I daresay that they are anti Indians" - did you intend to say this, or was it a typo? :confused:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Maybe it is not really very reliable, but I was shaken by the amount of hate and the fact that almost every Bangladeshi was severely anti-India. Personally, it was not expected at all.

And your last sentence: "I daresay that they are anti Indians" - did you intend to say this, or was it a typo? :confused:
I am aware of the forum you are talking about.

I was quite active there and in the BD sub forum.

They were the Jammait chaps mostly.

Yes I did mean daresay.

The 'that' is what should not have been there.

mayfair

I am aware of the forum you are talking about.

I was quite active there and in the BD sub forum.

They were the Jammait chaps mostly.

Yes I did mean daresay.

The 'that' is what should not have been there.
You mean the "Bangladesh Army officers and Muktajoddis (Freedom Fighters)" that you meet "every year when we celebrate the 1971 War in Eastern Command" are anti-Indian?

That's how it appears from your statement.

communismforindia

Tihar Jail
Banned
The only thing we would get in return would be terrorism and illegal immigrants!!, trading with bankrupt countries like bangladesh in which more than half of the population is mentally retarded will bring India's economy down... so no thanks, I think India should try and capture bangladesh, just like china did to tibet..after all, the Indian army founded bangladesh...

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

You mean the "Bangladesh Army officers and Muktajoddis (Freedom Fighters)" that you meet "every year when we celebrate the 1971 War in Eastern Command" are anti-Indian?

That's how it appears from your statement.
Now check the posts.

Have I said what you seem to imply?

Auto suggestion?

Or is it what you wish to believe, just because you have come to that conclusion by some fake Bangaldeshi on the forum that you were active?

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The only thing we would get in return would be terrorism and illegal immigrants!!, trading with bankrupt countries like bangladesh in which more than half of the population is mentally retarded will bring India's economy down... so no thanks, I think India should try and capture bangladesh, just like china did to tibet..after all, the Indian army founded bangladesh...
I think you have got your facts a wee bit wrong.

India and Bangladesh are to sign the Extradition Treaty. Hopefully that will scrape the bottom of the barrel, but then the call is that of India.

ULFA chaps have been handed over. Paresh Barua has bolted to China! Therefore, Bangladesh is a dicey spot to hide for the terrorists.

The Kashmiri link to the latest terrorist stuff in India was traced to Bangladesh. If Bangladesh had not cooperated, would India have known?

Yes, illegal immigrants will pour in. But it is India's call to stop them. GOI has never been serious about it for reasons best known to the Govts.

Capture Bangladesh?

Why, if I may ask?

Don't look a gift horse in the teeth and then demand it should be of gold!

Sabir

DFI TEAM
Forming an opinion about BD after seeing few Jamaati in a Pakistani forum is stupidity. There are some strange Bangladeshi members who dont know Bengali. You know why?

Reactions: Ray

mayfair

Now check the posts.

Have I said what you seem to imply?

Auto suggestion?

Or is it what you wish to believe, just because you have come to that conclusion by some fake Bangaldeshi on the forum that you were active?
With all due respect, I believe you have misunderstood what I have been trying to say. You worded your statement thus,

now this would imply that in YOUR opinion, the officers you meet regularly come across AS anti-Indians. If you sentence had read

"I meet some Bangaldesh Army officers and Muktajoddis (Freedom Fighters) every year when we celebrate the 1971 War in Eastern Command. I daresay that they are hardly/far from being anti Indians."

Then it would carry a different meaning.

I merely wanted to clarify if the message had become distorted due to a missing adverb.

P.S. I know the forum you refer to and I have NEVER, EVER been a member on Def and Dumb or any Paki forum for that matter. But I have had the opportunity to read a few delightful comments posted on international newspapers and blogs by posters claiming to be from Bangladesh and the extent of vitriol, hatred and contempt for India and Indians is immense. However, internet fora are hardly a true reflection of a country, its people and their society. But if one wishes to infer a "secular" nature of the Bangladeshi populace since they voted Hasina, then what sort of message the decimation of non-Muslim population in Bangladesh after the 1971 liberation, convey? A secular country does not ethnically cleanse its minorities in that manner. But that is a topic for another discussion.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Can't blame anyone if they can't ferret out the frauds or the Biharis of Bangladesh or those who are the descendants of Mullahs and the anti Bangladesh coterie.

One has to understand the Bengali ethos to realise who is who and where does he come from!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
daresay that they are hardly/far from being anti Indians.
You highlighted that, did you?

And it means they are anti Indian? :eek:

what does 'daresay' mean?

and what does 'hardly/far from being anti Indians' mean?

Last edited:

Sabir

DFI TEAM
We cannot blame average Indians (non-Bengali)...only a Bengali can say after meeting a Bengali that where he is from. In my college, a girl asked me how I could speak such nice Bengali as I am not from Bangladesh (there are two BD students in our class).

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles