Women in face veils detained as France enforces ban

Oracle

Wow..how scientific.:boink:
Karthic did provide a link. I can say the same about your posts. You have made up your mind and would not give it a thought even. Open up, there are more than what you think, holds true.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Are Muslims so obsessed with their way of life that they don't want to accept anything that is not prescribed in the holy book? If Muslims can't change, they must not expect "Unbelievers" to change, France belongs to French people, they have the right to protect their way of life if they desire to.
They really can live a secular lifestyle, my two roommates are living proof. A Muslim couple, unwed, man drinks beer and woman wears no face covering. We go clubbing almost every weekend. Looking at the Muslim women of France, of the 2.5 million only 2000 wear face veils so that should tell you something about how secular they are. Most of the public outcry isn't in France, but from the rest of the world. If this dissuades more illegal migrants from coming to France... all the better.

Nonynon

Never heard about the only 2000...
I think you have that opinion based only on people around you that seem to have all the Muslims as patriotic French but I know a few French people myself that each tell me they have trouble sleeping at night with Islam taking over their country. I know more people thinking that way in Europe outside France.

amitkriit

I think you have that opinion based only on people around you that seem to have all the Muslims as patriotic French but I know a few French people myself that each tell me they have trouble sleeping at night with Islam taking over their country. I know more people thinking that way in Europe outside France.
I will take the middle ground here, u will find people who are paranoid due to justifiable and unjustifiable reasons(claims like "Islam is taking over Europe"). Its important for any nation that calls itself liberal democracy to be accommodating to all cultures and communities within it's border. But then there is no cure for the people with Ghetto Mentality, they cannot be satisfied. We need to tackle Extremism, we must not create more extremists.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
We really don't care about what people think outside of France. It was Yanky Neo-Cons that started the Muslim takeover theory in the first place and then the Neo-Cons here took hold of it after 9-11. People don't fear Muslims in general but terrorist attacks are always in the back of the mind. There is also much inter-religious crime in the Islamic community with everything from domestic abuse, restriction of movement, death threats all the way to honour killings that go unreported. The burqa ban is the first step French society is going to tackle the abuses that go on in that community. Next on the agenda is to crack down hard on death threats with stiffer sentences.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Karthic did provide a link. I can say the same about your posts. You have made up your mind and would not give it a thought even. Open up, there are more than what you think, holds true.
What link? this? That's no statistic, it doesn't even show how women who are forced to wear the veil are greater in number than those who opt to wear it. And no, you can't. Like I said, my side of the argument doesn't need citations since I didn't quantify each kind of Muslim veil-bearers. I already cited the fineprint of the French law, and it's rotten.

redragon

Country flag
hey guys
Can you imagine if china passed a similar law how will the world react? I guess China will be cursed to death and there must be protest everywhere blaming the evil CCP, talking about double standards.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
hey guys
Can you imagine if china passed a similar law how will the world react? I guess China will be cursed to death and there must be protest everywhere blaming the evil CCP, talking about double standards.
China don't have to pass a law. Woman wears a burqa in China and a crowd gathers around her to stop and stare pointing and grabbing. Police grab her off the street for her "safety."

redragon

Country flag
China don't have to pass a law. Woman wears a burqa in China and a crowd gathers around her to stop and stare pointing and grabbing. Police grab her off the street for her "safety."
What you said still can't change the fact that people can't have freedom on what they believe in France, period.

AOE

What you said still can't change the fact that people can't have freedom on what they believe in France, period.
If the burqa/niqab was banned in China, some would argue it, but there would be people here who would also think it is reasonable. If China prevents muslims from setting up places of worship, outlawed their religion, and started killing members of that faith; then you would get serious condemnation. There is no double-standard.

Nonynon

China's done worst without world condemnation... ehem Tibet.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
People can believe whatever they want... what they practice in public another story. If you don't go to a state sanctioned church in China, you get arrested and sent to labour camps. Now that is not having freedom.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
I don't know if wearing face veils is a must in Islam and OR is quoted in the Quran or in the Hadith's. Members with adequate knowledge can point it out. But if you have the freedom to see other people, they too should have the same freedom to see who they deal with in day to day life. This is a concept prevailing from the medieval world and has no place in today's society. Wherever one lives, integration with the society is a must, and for that dropping age old customs is a necessary evil - even if it is being quoted in the Quran or in the Hadith's.
Its more traditional (arab) than religious. As per my understanding covering of the face isn't mentioned in the Quran. Covering hair and wearing "modest" clothes is.

Now you see interpretation of "modest" isn't going to be modest at all when illiterate thugs are at the helm.

Last edited:

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
hey guys
I agree with you.

But china is no saint either.

redragon

Country flag
If the burqa/niqab was banned in China, some would argue it, but there would be people here who would also think it is reasonable. If China prevents muslims from setting up places of worship, outlawed their religion, and started killing members of that faith; then you would get serious condemnation. There is no double-standard.
What you said are all lies, there are tons of evidence that they have freedom in religion, if it is really like what you said, China will always be headline, but can you give me any link to prove what you said. You are brainwashed and have illusion.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
What you said are all lies, there are tons of evidence that they have freedom in religion, if it is really like what you said, China will always be headline, but can you give me any link to prove what you said. You are brainwashed and have illusion.
The west clearly has double standards they jail people in Guantanamo Bay and do chinese water boarding but if Chinese do the water boarding themselves it becomes wrong, whatever happened to copy write torcher!! All this is not to say Chinas Cultural Revolutions is anything short of communist tyranny and demolition of freedom of speech. I meet hundreds of Tibetans living in India testifying the same. If USA or India jails some one extra judicially its still transparent and everyone knows about it like in the case of Guantanamo Bay or Binakay Sen who is out on bail now but if China jails someone thats the last we heard of him and no one even would know of it.

I have also lost faith with the West and its hypocrisy they never fought for Democracy they only fought for Oil, when peaceful protests went on in Burma against the Junta no one ever did anything drastic to help them out but if Burma had OIL like Libya then USA becomes all noble and sacred sending its holy soldiers of democracy to fight against tyranny to fight in far flung corners of the world, their soldiers are noble patriots who work hard and protect the nation of USA which has never seen any serious threat since 1935 during Japanese Invasion. They allow millions to go hungry while NATO spends more than a Trillion on weapons each year, when millions died in Sudan Dawfaur not one voice in the west talked about Ariel raids or humanitarian support. Ok, they may have talked but did nothing eventually.

All this only shows the world is not interested in you, governments are not interested in saving you. What everyone wants is Power and Money.

Last edited:

AOE

What did I say that was lies? Please give me a reasonable response rather than a mindless attack and rant.

The west clearly has double standards they jail people in Guantanamo Bay and do chinese water boarding but if Chinese do the water boarding themselves it becomes wrong, whatever happened to copy write torcher!! All this is not to say Chinas Cultural Revolutions is anything short of communist tyranny and demolition of freedom of speech. I meet hundreds of Tibetans living in India testifying the same. If USA or India jails some one extra judicially its still transparent and everyone knows about it like in the case of Guantanamo Bay or Binakay Sen who is out on bail now but if China jails someone thats the last we heard of him and no one even would know of it.
This is nonsense in itself. Do you have any clue how many news articles and hyperbole has been over Guantanamo Bay, or Water Boarding? Also I hate to interrupt your Chomskyite rant, but where was the oil in Taiwan or South Korea in the 1950s? What about Israel, Bosnia, or Kosovo? If the US was only interested in oil, why did it allow the regimes in Egypt and Tunisia to be overthrown if they were pro-western? Is there any oil down here in Australia, or in the UK that I haven't heard about? No offense mate, but this is the kind of response I would expect from a terrorism apologist or useful idiot, not someone like you. Yes there is opportunism everywhere, but the US is not on the same moral depravity level as the communists in power in China. The amount of people the CCP have killed in the last century alone testifies to this.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I think the ban is on all FULL face veils.

I presume that is quite acceptable since in these days of terrorists, one requires people to be recognised, especially with the CCTV since none can say for sure who is a terrorist or not when such people are moving in public.

But after the event, CCTVs help.

Or, is the ban on head scarves also?

If so, that would be rather unfortunate.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
I am torn.
On one hand I feel that one must have the freedom of exercising one's own choice but at the same time for every woman who is expressing her choice by donning the veil there would be atleast dozens who are forced to wear this veil.
On one hand such extreme acts meant to take on orthodoxy can be productive but on the other hand the French cozy up to the Saudis who spread such extremism worldwide.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles