With General VK Singh's exit, it'll be end of 71 era

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
With General VK Singh's exit, it'll be end of 71 era

CHANDIGARH: For the Indian Army, May 31 will be more than a day when its chief will retire. It will mark a generational shift in the 1.3-million-strong force. This is because when Gen V K Singh and another officer Lt Gen S R Ghosh, commander of Western Command, hang up their boots that day, they will be the last of the soldiers who fought the 1971 war, India's last full-fledged military engagement. There will be no serving personnel in the Indian Army now, who has fought in 1971.

At present, the Indian Army has only two officers - Gen Singh and Lt Gen Ghosh -- who were commissioned prior to the 1971 war and participated in the war. Their retirement would bring an end to the generation of officers, who had witnessed and participated in the war. When the designated Army chief, Lt Gen Bikram Singh, takes over, he would be the first Army chief to have been commissioned after the country's last full-fledged war.

Gen Bikram Singh was commissioned into the Sikh Light Infantry Regiment on March 31, 1972 -- three-and-a-half-months after the Indo-Pak war. Lt Gen Ghosh was commissioned in November 1971 with the Guards regiment and he hit the ground running in the Jammu and Kashmir front.

Other 1971 veterans who retired recently include Lt Gen V K Ahluwalia and Lt Gen A S Lamba (both from Artillery). Ahluwalia retired as commander, central command, in February, while Lamba retired as vice-chief of Army staff in October 2011.

"No doubt, it's a change. But, in today's scenario, when countries possess nuclear weapons, there's no chance of a high-intensity war that was witnessed in 1971. The change won't impact the operational preparedness of the Army due to introduction of latest technology that has changed the way wars are fought as compared to 1971," said former Army chief Gen V P Malik, who led the Army during the Kargil conflict.

"It is a change, though I may not call it a generational change. There are very few chances of the country witnessing a conventional war anymore," said war veteran Lt Gen Vijay Oberoi, former vice-chief of Army, who lost a leg during the 1965 Indo-Pak war.

Gen VK Singh to build a house in Dharamshala

After a two-year stint as Army chief, Gen V K Singh will spend his retired life in the tranquil surroundings of Dhauladhar ranges. He will start building his dream house in Tapovan village near Dharamshala.
With General VK Singh's exit, it'll be end of 71 era - Times Of India

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
And entry of western doctrines since it is fashionable and those who have no idea of warfare will use it to act knowledgeable and fancy.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
And entry of western doctrines since it is fashionable and those who have no idea of warfare will use it to act knowledgeable and fancy.
With all due respect sir, in 1971 we have seen blitzkrieg style of Indian army movements..

That was too western influenced..

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
With all due respect sir, in 1971 we have seen blitzkrieg style of Indian army movements..

That was too western influenced..
Oh my, my ! where did you see that blitzkrieg....... you mean to say infantry blitzkrieg into Bangladesh ??

IBRIS

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Just came across on Twitter

Help rehabilitate a War Veteran and 1971 PoW

https://milaap.org/fundraisers/helpawarhero

SOME MEN DREAM OF BEING A HERO, OTHERS RELIVE IT IN THEIR NIGHTMARES..

Capt Vijendra Singh Gurung, an alumnus of King George School Chail, was an Indian Army Officer commissioned in Assam Regiment. During the Indo Pak 1971 war, a young Commando Platoon Commander then, Capt Gurung leading his men from the front walked into a Paki ambush and was taken Prisoner of War on the Western sector. He went through inhuman forms of torture that accompanies a PoW specially so in Pakistan. He was lucky in that he was repatriated back to India in 1973 due to intervention of World Red Cross unlike the 54 PWs who are still languishing in Paki jails till date.
Capt Gurung was awarded the Pashchimi Star, Sangram Medal and 25th Independence Anniversary Medal for his courage and sacrifice during 1971 war. All this while, he was suffering from post war trauma (PTSD) which he did not disclose to anyone and fought it in his head every night. He started leading a secluded life and seen spending nights in the forest. With no medical help and legal advise, he chose to leave the Indian Army after 5 years without any pension.

Since 1977, he has not had any psychiatric examination treatment nor any rehabilitation training due to which he has sunk into a groove of despondency. Yet, he never begged & instead sought work of a laborer on the roadside. With this earning, which came infrequently, he is living a hard life in extreme poverty. He lives in a small room, with no door, window, toilet, electricity or water. He has lived like this for over 40 years. During this period, his wounds, mental, have deepened. Today, we have a daunting task to try to restore his state.

Help this WAR HERO who fought to defend this nation, rehabilitate and lead a dignified life in his remaining years.

We are running this campaign to collect funds for
1. Rehabilitation of the officer
2. Providing a decent shelter and basic home needs
3. Monthly living expenses

Your generous contribution will only go towards the welfare of the war veteran.
You can also do a bank transfer to the below mentioned account setup for this fundraising campaign:

• Account number: 80808080101029362
  • Account name: Capt VS Gurung
  • IFSC code: YESB0CMSNOC

nongaddarliberal

Country flag
Sorry I couldn't find a better place to share this discussion. Every patriot Indian must listen to it

This discussion has actually shaken me. I knew there was corruption and some anti national elements, but I didn't know that it was so widespread and in so many high places. How the hell are we supposed to develop even into a middle income country with these type of forces running the country? And forget about weapons indigenization.

F-14B

#iamPUROHIT
Country flag
This discussion has actually shaken me. I knew there was corruption and some anti national elements, but I didn't know that it was so widespread and in so many high places. How the hell are we supposed to develop even into a middle income country with these type of forces running the country? And forget about weapons indigenization.
Sorry for beating around the bush and flogging a dead horse but this is the Legacy that we have to live with this is the legacy of a mobocracy that was masqueraded as democracy for 70 + years and yet I am hundred percent sure that's the opposition cell come back to rule and destroy our glorious Nation yet again they do not care for India aur her forces they only want a monkey Tamasha with Pakistan so that they can eat up the kebabs and and drink the peace kool aid that the show love to hack with India the the Army and the defence forces who the heck case look at our condition what are we we are just keyboard Warriors fitting in comfy flats and screaming and shouting that our country is gone to the dogs mark my words Hindi is not yet free we are still colonized we are still colonized by the Indian bye and race the British bye thoughts and conditioning Maclauy though dead has succeeded in getting what he wanted

SanjeevM

Country flag
There is still one year left for 2019 elections. Government should setup TSD again. This time the politicians of opposition caught should be shamed on national media so that they can't enter politics again in future. We need to weed out the enemy within before we can take the enemy without.

Hahaha and drugs and guns trade should be brought to a halt. If Modi can achieve this in the remaining one year, the public opinion can change in his favor. JNU brand urban Naxals should be caught and tried with strict laws and punishment. These Naxals are fueling the Dalit and other agitation through out the country. This is the best time to unmask all conspiracies to break India. BJP should wake-up. If they don't, God bless Indians. Congress and opposition will sell the country.

Indibomber

There is still one year left for 2019 elections. Government should setup TSD again. This time the politicians of opposition caught should be shamed on national media so that they can't enter politics again in future. We need to weed out the enemy within before we can take the enemy without.

Hahaha and drugs and guns trade should be brought to a halt. If Modi can achieve this in the remaining one year, the public opinion can change in his favor. JNU brand urban Naxals should be caught and tried with strict laws and punishment. These Naxals are fueling the Dalit and other agitation through out the country. This is the best time to unmask all conspiracies to break India. BJP should wake-up. If they don't, God bless Indians. Congress and opposition will sell the country.
May be TSD has already been setup maybe not, i had some info about what happened back then..my concern is why don’t i see these people behind bars, no trials are happening.. worse I don’t even see some of these bastards meeting with accidents.. 5 years 10 accidents would have sent one hell of a message and thats what my problem with Modi is.. Judicial system has been penetrated you will not be able to put these people behind bars with proper legal process.

SanjeevM

Country flag
May be TSD has already been setup maybe not, i had some info about what happened back then..my concern is why don’t i see these people behind bars, no trials are happening.. worse I don’t even see some of these bastards meeting with accidents.. 5 years 10 accidents would have sent one hell of a message and thats what my problem with Modi is.. Judicial system has been penetrated you will not be able to put these people behind bars with proper legal process.
Then opposition and Media will blame Modi for clandestine operations.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles