Wishing all a very happy Poila Baisakh, Bengali New Year

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Wishing all a very happy Poila Baisakh, Bengali New Year

Bengali New Year or Poila Boisakh is celebrated on the mid april of the English year and on 14th April in Bangladesh. This is the first day of the Bengali first month Baisakh according to Hindu Vedic Solar Calendar, based on Surya Siddhanta. This festival generally celebrates in West Bengal, Bangladesh, Tripura and Assam. It is a public holiday in West Bengal and in Assam In India and in Bangladesh it is a national holuday.

This festival is initiated by the famous Mughal Emperor Akbar. During Mughal reign, Hindus were bound to pay taxes as per the rule of Muslim Hijri calendar, based on luner calendar which did not coincide with the harvest. To give relief and to streamline the tax collection Mughal emperor ordered a reform of the calendar and from there the celebration was started. The custom was that on the last day of Chaitro, the last month of the previous year, all tax should be clear up and on the next day landlord would entertain their tenants with sweets.

Now at this present time, Baisakhi month is auspicious and great time for marriage. And on the very day people also enjoy with great spirit and enthusiasm. Especially in Kolkata, people wear new dresses, especially ladies wear saree in the conventional way and men wear dhoti and kurta. At many places fair is commenced. There use to be various items present for riding. People buy ornaments, toys for children, utensils and many more products, they eat foods, snakes and hawkers gather there for a great sell with huge collection of products. During Chaitra, the last month of the previous year, seller sales products with huge discounts, this is known as "Chaitra Sell". People also buy lots of things, garments for their family members, relatives and also for their beloved ones.

On this very day many shop keepers worship Lord Ganesha and Ma Lakshmi, the Goddess of wealth for wealth, prosperity and welfare. It is marked as the beginning of the business. The Hindu traders purchase new accounting book which is known as "Halkhata". And on the front page the draw a swastika with red sindoor. People have also chosen this day for socializing. Many shop keepers invite their customers at their shops to take part in the celebration. People greet each other by exchanging sweets, they decorate their home with colorful rangoli contained with minced rice and mixed with water and draw beautiful designs in front of the door which is known as "Alpona". Then they placed a red clay pot in the center of the alpona filled with holy water and mango leaves. Bengalis use to celebrate this festival with great love, spirit and enthusiasm and in this modern era they also greet their closed one through beautiful Bengali New Year Scraps and Bengali New Year SMS and by saying "Subho Naboborso" or "Subho Poila Boisakh"to convey their love and feelings for them.

History And Celebration Of Bengali New Year

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Assamese New Year is welcomed by the celebration of Rangali Bihu including folk dance, one of the best folk dance I have ever seen :fyeah::fyeah:

Last edited by a moderator:

IBSA

Country flag
AFAIk Vaisakhi is the sikh new year, the time of crops, and celebrated mainly in Panjab

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
AFAIk Vaisakhi is the sikh new year, the time of crops, and celebrated mainly in Panjab
New year through out India, reason same name a bit different as per local language, the call it is Baishak we call it Bohag and so on :namaste:

bose

Country flag
Best wishes to you all on Poila Baisakh [Bengali New Year], ... I am going to celebrate the day with some home cooked bengali food... specially Lamb Curry " Kochi Patha er Jhool" [Meat of young Goat]..

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
Thanks, Happy Poila Baisakh ! :)

In fact Hindu Nava Varsha (New year) also happens to be this month :-

New Year in Different States in India 2013
Festival Date State

Ugadi----------------------------------11/04/13-------------Telugu
Gudi Padwa-------------------------11/04/13-------------Maharashtrian
Cheti Chand-------------------------11/04/13-------------Sindhi
Chaitra Pratipada------------------11/04/13-------------Hindu
Chaitti and Basoa/Bishu--------13/04/13-------------Himachal Pradesh
Pohela Boishakh/Juir-Sheetal--13/04/13 ?---------Bengal
Vaisakhi------------------------------13/04/13--------------Punjabi
Puthandu-----------------------------14/04/13--------------Tamil
Vishu-----------------------------------14/04/13--------------Kerala and Tulunadu
Jude-Sheetal------------------------14/04/13--------------Maithili
Maha Vishuva Sankranti--------14/04/13-------------Oriya
Cheiraoba-----------------------------15/04/13-------------Manipur
Bestu Varas--------------------------04/11/13------------Gujrat
Navreh----------------------------------21/03/13-------------Parsi
Hindu New Year 2013

In fact people from Indian subcontinent celebrate new year around this month :namaste:

tramp

New year through out India, reason same name a bit different as per local language, the call it is Baishak we call it Bohag and so on :namaste:
Across South India the new years is celebrated, though in different names around this time of the year though the exact day might differ: Ugadi in Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka, Vishu in Kerala and TN, Gudi Padwa in Maharashtra.

Last edited:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Sikhs have adopted the NanakshahinCalendar because of which Baisakhi and Poila Baisakh don't fall on fhe same day.
Today is the New Year in Nepal, Bengal And Punjab

Das ka das

Tihar Jail
Banned
Thanks, Happy Poila Baisakh ! :)

In fact Hindu Nava Varsha (New year) also happens to be this month :-

New Year in Different States in India 2013
Festival Date State

Ugadi----------------------------------11/04/13-------------Telugu
Gudi Padwa-------------------------11/04/13-------------Maharashtrian
Cheti Chand-------------------------11/04/13-------------Sindhi
Chaitra Pratipada------------------11/04/13-------------Hindu
Chaitti and Basoa/Bishu--------13/04/13-------------Himachal Pradesh
Pohela Boishakh/Juir-Sheetal--13/04/13 ?---------Bengal
Vaisakhi------------------------------13/04/13--------------Punjabi
Puthandu-----------------------------14/04/13--------------Tamil
Vishu-----------------------------------14/04/13--------------Kerala and Tulunadu
Jude-Sheetal------------------------14/04/13--------------Maithili
Maha Vishuva Sankranti--------14/04/13-------------Oriya
Cheiraoba-----------------------------15/04/13-------------Manipur
Bestu Varas--------------------------04/11/13------------Gujrat
Navreh----------------------------------21/03/13-------------Parsi
Hindu New Year 2013

In fact people from Indian subcontinent celebrate new year around this month :namaste:
Hmmm...I had thought that Gujaratis celebrate Bestu Varas day after Diwali? At least that what my family and all our relatives/friends do.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Me tooo! :yey:

সবাইকে-জানাই-শুভনববর্ষের-প্রীতি-ও-শুভেচ্ছা

Subho nobo borsho to all!!!

Best wishes to you all on Poila Baisakh [Bengali New Year], ... I am going to celebrate the day with some home cooked bengali food... specially Lamb Curry " Kochi Patha er Jhool" [Meat of young Goat]..

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
We went to Fish Fish.

They had a special menu for Poila Baishak.

We went early and so we got a table, there were many sitting in the waiting area and there was a long line outside too!

Same was the case with Kasturi, next door, which is a specialty East Bengal cuisine restaurant.

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
Hmmm...I had thought that Gujaratis celebrate Bestu Varas day after Diwali? At least that what my family and all our relatives/friends do.
Yeah, perhaps you are right, Gujaratis celebrate new year just next day to Deepawali, once I have celebrated that with my sister and my brother-in-law in Jamnagar who live there, we visited their relatives and everyone served us mouth-fresheners, hence I called it Mukhwaas Diwas :lol: but I enjoyed.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles