Will you be turning off your lights on Earth Day?

Are you going to turn off your lights on Earth Day?

• Total voters

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
28th of March is being observed as Earth Day. How many of us are willing to turn off our lights (fans and TV included) between 8.30 and 9.30 pm?

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
I will, for the sake of major power-saving. NOT GLOBAL WARMING.
As I don't believe in Global Warming.

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
Honestly... How many of you actually believe in Global Warming ?
I think that would be a great thread starter, drawing intensive debate.

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
Some sensible actions can go a long way

I think global warming is true to a large extent...

But I don't believe in the showmanship of turning lights off for a couple of hours and then wasting energy for the rest of the time...

I mean, look at the Western world... They consume the highest amount of resources and then console their own consciences by creating days such as "World Earth Day" where they turn off lights for an hour but continue to waste energy and resources in vulgar excesses for the other 364 days...

I don't want to jump into that sort of bandwagon... I do practice saving of energy, but I do it throughout the year and not only for an hour on a particular day.

And, I do believe that we ought to go down the true savings path and not just the "showy showy" window dressing path that the world seems to be taking.

A couple of points which will help us save a lot of electricity and hence decrease global warming are -

1. Turn off lights and fans when not in a room
  2. When you are not using the computer either turn it off / put it in standby / turn off the monitor
  3. Use your ACs with their inbuilt sleep timers engaged to about a couple of hours. You'll never care for the AC once you're asleep...
  4. Regulate fridge temperatures according to seasons. Lower during the summer months and slightly higher during winter months

I'm quite certain that if we follow these points religiously, we'll not need such showy endeavours such as "Earth Day" to show our respect toward global warming, but will be in a position to actively do it everyday...

And, it'll also help with the electricity bills... :D:D:D:D:D

:):):):):)

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Well i try to save energy as much as possible. More for my own benefit. Its 6.5 a unit out here in Bangalore :D:D
Also got a solar heater installed about 5 or 6 years back. I have already recovered the cost of installing it by saving on electricity used for normal heaters.

Country flag
i won't be doing anything silly like this how will i be able to see the DFI replies?

Skippy

I voted no, its a waste of time and effort. It achieves nothing, but allows people to have a false sense of achievement. Time and effort should be placed in fixing the problems we face, rather than making people think they are doing good.

Everyday we should practice energy saving, not one hour a year.

johnee

our govt takes out light as and when it pleases in the name of load shedding and it is not limited to earth day. so, no I wont be turning off my lights.

@soham:
you dont believe in global warming? you are joking, right?

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Well everyone should worry about their electricity bills and make sure they don't waste energy. That will go a long way.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles