Will we see new borders 50-100 years from now

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
With the world order seeing dramatic changes, in a time line of 50-100 years will we see nations redrawing their borders by assimilation or annexation based on their growing economic and military power? Will we see colonialism again? Will India for example annex or assimilate it's neighbors to the concept of Akhand Bharat?

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
With the world order seeing dramatic changes, in a time line of 50-100 years will we see nations redrawing their borders by assimilation or annexation based on their growing economic and military power? Will we see colonialism again? Will India for example annex or assimilate it's neighbors to the concept of Akhand Bharat?
Well they were always a part of India under some or the other king that later separated due to a weak center. Southeast, Northwest and southern Asia was always parts of India. So even if we take those areas at some point, we are only taking back what has always been rightfully ours.:india::india:

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
50 - 100 years a bit too far away - lets talk about 15 - 20 years and even within that time frame im sure we will see some serious changes in the region - not necessarily "asimilation" but rather simply changes.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Next 50 to 100 years, how the world would be? I will give anyone a million dollars if they can predict when they will fart next.

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
India should NOT annex any of its neighbor.

A new nation is about to be born.

South Sudan.

Blackwater

After 50 yrs i will be telling my great grand children.there was a country call Pakistan ,who was invented by Jinnah and hid challis chor. They love to do thakedari .but there thakedari failed . we can see independent republic of Baluchistan.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Ok I am not talking about splits in countries due to internal strife. I am talking use of economic and military prowess to annex/assimilate other lands. Something that use to happen during the times of monarchs before the current world order came into being.

I am also not talking only in terms of subcontinent but the world at large!

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Ok I am not talking about splits in countries due to internal strife. I am talking use of economic and military prowess to annex/assimilate other lands. Something that use to happen during the times of monarchs before the current world order came into being.

I am also not talking only in terms of subcontinent but the world at large!
I don't think such things are possible anymore. There are too many international regulations/obligations and the world economy is more interdependent today than it ever was before.

I think the the practice of invading a country and setting up puppet/pro-invader regimes is becoming a far more attractive alternative to outright annexation. The most recent example of this was in 2008, when Russia invaded Georgia and facilitated the creation of independent, pro-Russian republics in Abkhazia and South Ossetia. Note how Russia chose NOT to capture the Georgian capital Tbilisi or annex the whole country, which was common practice in the olden days. The decision to avoid conquering the whole country was a conscious geopolitical decision, as there were no military obstacles in Russia's path and the Georgian military was in no position to counter further Russian advances.

Last edited:

pmaitra

My thoughts:
  • Belarus would either join the European Union or be gobbled up by the Russian Federation.
  • South Ossetia and Abkhazia, that are de facto under Russian control will become ipso facto republics within the Russian Federation.
  • Pakistan will lose control of Pakhtoon lands and Balochistan.
  • Nigeria could be divided on religious lines.
  • India could assume de facto control over Maldives and Mauritius by virtue of generous financial allurements.
  • Belgium could be divided on linguistic lines.
  • NATO might split triggering Graeco-Turk conflict for control of Cyprus triggering off another conflict in Kosovo with the blessings of the Russian Federation and more European countries on one hand and intervention by the Russian Federation to aid Russian speaking enclaves in the Baltic states.
  • Settlement of Armenian and Azeri border disputes.
  • KSA could be embroiled in civic unrest weakening support for the current ruler in Bahrain and prompting change of guard and possibly realignment of borders.
  • Arab-Israeli conflict will remain where it is, even after 1000 years. Not very optimistic about this.

peacecracker

India for sure will not invade Bangladesh,Pakistan or it's neighbours. Although, There are people who believes these partitioned lands are Indian territory because of their Brainwashed,Stupidity(and radical rightwing mentality) including imaginations like Akhand Bharat etc.

May be, Nepal and Bhutan can become Indian states having more autonomy.

pmaitra

May be, Nepal and Bhutan can become Indian states having more autonomy.
PRC can definitely help us in this regard. PRC and Bhutan already have undefined borders. They just need to invade Bhutan for it to become our next state.

On the other hand, we definitely need Gilgit-Balochistan, not only because it is our territory, but it also brings us closer to the former Soviet Republics in Central Asia with the minor gap of the Wakhan Corridor. Afghanistan will remain friendly for some time to come.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Looking at the Indian subcontinent, I can only see Nepal, Bhutan, Maldives and SL integrate with India for economic reasons.

But if we look at history, Bhutan and Nepal managed to stay out of colonial realm and stayed independent though it was dependent on foreign powers for protection.

Looking at the western border, a split of Pakistan could result in creation of a Sindh nation. Would be assimilated in the Indian Union because of economics or use of force by India? As it is our national anthem is incomplete without that region in the Indian Union.

In Europe, could we see newer rivalries leading to wars and change of borders due to their downward economic status?

The US seems to be the safest place isolated by oceans on two sides and two large neighbors on two sides one of which is kind of an exptention of it and the other in too bad a shape to be a threat.

pmaitra

Looking at the Indian subcontinent, I can only see Nepal, Bhutan, Maldives and SL integrate with India for economic reasons.
I am not sure Nepal is particularly friendly with India right now. Our 3 biggest worries in the neighbourhood are: PRC, Pakistan and Nepal, in that order.

But if we look at history, Bhutan and Nepal managed to stay out of colonial realm and stayed independent though it was dependent on foreign powers for protection.
I can probably see Nepal becoming a protectorate of PRC and PRC will be all too happy to oblige.

Looking at the western border, a split of Pakistan could result in creation of a Sindh nation. Would be assimilated in the Indian Union because of economics or use of force by India? As it is our national anthem is incomplete without that region in the Indian Union.
Sindh has an economic hub in Karachi, but also has a large number of emigrants, and offsprings thereof, from India during partition. Many still have a grudge against India for old wounds. It is an easy guess why the Baloch are so friendly to India and not the people of Karachi.

In Europe, could we see newer rivalries leading to wars and change of borders due to their downward economic status?

The US seems to be the safest place isolated by oceans on two sides and two large neighbors on two sides one of which is kind of an exptention of it and the other in too bad a shape to be a threat.
Let's us all emigrate to US or Canada. Nice place to live, really.

pmaitra

quebec is asking for independence
Good point. Yes, they did have one referendum some time ago. They do have some language issues there with the Francophones feeling overwhelmed by the predominance of English.

It is still a good place to live because in the event they do separate, they won't fight with each other but will peacefully separate.

Iamanidiot

India will become a better place to live in the nxt 100 years.IT definetly is a better place to live than it was 100 years ago

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
In 100 years there will be more Hispanics in America than whites. Many Mexicans believe that the 1848 Treaty of Guadelupe-Hidalgo is illegal and that the states of California, New Mexico, Texas, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, and Utah belong to Mexico (these states were part of Mexico when it acheived independence in 1821).

By the end of the century the American Southwest will simply become an extension of Mexico, especially if the current demographic trends continue.

ashdoc

Country flag
what about bangladeshis becoming majority in assam and the border districts of west bengal , and joining them with bangladesh ??

what about the strong seperatist movements in nagaland , mizoram , manipur and kashmir ??

instead of taking over others, india could lose some states......

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles