Why Tejas Mk2 (MWF) Will Be Important

Flying Dagger

Country flag
As an aside:

With an increased length of the fuselage to accommodate the new GE 414 engines and the addition of canards, cockpit and undercarriage modifications, a new Uttam AESA, highly advanced EW suite, multi-sensor data fusion, total situational awareness etc it is no more Tejas. It's a totally different config and thus a different aircraft altogether. Give it a different name like Baaz or some such. Why confuse it with Tejas?
There is no confusion it is evolution of Tejas or it is What Tejas was meant to be...

New name or not doesn't matter let the bird fly first.

johnq

The MWF is an essential stepping stone to AMCA. I do think they should make all MWF versions dual-engined to begin with, because engine failure can be more dangerous for the pilot in the Himalayas. Also, engine failure may be more likely when operating from the Himalayas because of the harsh conditions. Dual engines would also result in better thrust to weight ratio, which could enable super-cruise to a certain extent (like the Rafale), as well as better maneuverability. Two engines would also enable the MWF to carry a load similar to the Rafale. They are already making a dual-engined version anyways for the Indian Navy, so it saves time to make all MWF aircraft dual-engined. Finally, a similar dual engine inlet setup could be used in the AMCA.

Dessert Storm

Country flag
The MWF is an essential stepping stone to AMCA. I do think they should make all MWF versions dual-engined to begin with, because engine failure can be more dangerous for the pilot in the Himalayas. Also, engine failure may be more likely when operating from the Himalayas because of the harsh conditions. Dual engines would also result in better thrust to weight ratio, which could enable super-cruise to a certain extent (like the Rafale), as well as better maneuverability. Two engines would also enable the MWF to carry a load similar to the Rafale. They are already making a dual-engined version anyways for the Indian Navy, so it saves time to make all MWF aircraft dual-engined. Finally, a similar dual engine inlet setup could be used in the AMCA.
Always a mystery to me why IAF does not collaborate on TEDBF/ORCA. Do they want TEDBF to fail or are they waiting for it to achieve some basic milestones before they throw their weight behind the program?

Lancer

Bana
Country flag
Always a mystery to me why IAF does not collaborate on TEDBF/ORCA. Do they want TEDBF to fail or are they waiting for it to achieve some basic milestones before they throw their weight behind the program?
Idk, but they really better back the program eventually. And if they don't - the Gvt should pretty much ram it through.

Buy ~44 or so Rafales, then scrap the MMRCA and make the IAF focus on LCA MK1A, MK2 and ORCA. Beyond that, work on upgrading the Flankers, and acquire 5th Gen stealth fighters ASAP (I have an idea - but I won't go there b/c it'll derail the discussion).

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Idk, but they really better back the program eventually. And if they don't - the Gvt should pretty much ram it through.

Buy ~44 or so Rafales, then scrap the MMRCA and make the IAF focus on LCA MK1A, MK2 and ORCA. Beyond that, work on upgrading the Flankers, and acquire 5th Gen stealth fighters ASAP (I have an idea - but I won't go there b/c it'll derail the discussion).
Ultimately, IAF will go for Rafales only. They might float new MMRCA tender for better deal.

Flying Dagger

Country flag
We need a strict Boss heading RMO to bring defence acquisition in line and make all agencies work for the common goal.

Unless that happens we will always be playing the game of jugaad.

From armed forces to OFB and other PSU's we have chirkuts leading the charge.

Don't expect much.

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
Tejas mk 2 will be an important fighter aircraft for India because with it India will be able Effectively replace Mirage 2000s and Mig 29 type fighters which are currently present in Indian airforce inventory. Tejas MK2 is mainly being designed to replace aircraft like the MiG-29,Jaguars and Mirage 2000, and will complement Sukhoi and Rafale in the future. It will be a very crucial Aircraft for India from my personal opinion to be honest.

Last edited:

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Tejas Mk2 or MWF is evolving now. It will have a big weapon inventory on offer. India's own Astra Mk1, Astra Mk2, Rudram 1, SAAW, Astra IR, SFDR shall be integrated. Python V and ASRAM can give it a significant edge over J 10 (I do not count JF 17 as any competitor). I derby, R 37, R 73 are already used which will have an easy integration with Tejas Mk2. France has said that it is ready offer METEOR if Israeli Radar is not used (Uttam is used). Contract is already awarded to fabricate 2 Uttam Radars with 900 + TR modules. GAN based Uttam is on making. Designers of Tejas Mk2 has revealed that it will have a very high degree of Maneuverability and will have super cruise capabilities. The design payload of 6.5 tons for an aircraft of 58 KN dry thrust is exceptional and beats the thumb rule of Dry thrustX2.5=MTOW by a big big margin which is a testimony of advancement of Indian designers have made in aircraft design. SO MWF is coming with supercruise, High Maneuverability, great stand off capability in terms of Brahmos MK2 (With near hypersonic speed at a range of 300 to 450 KM. With a plethora weapon options from across the globe. IR, State of art EW, Top class AESA, Top class stand off weapon, top class BVR and WVR weapons, Great Glide bombs in excess of 100 km range, Run way denial bombs like SAAW, anti radiation missile like Rudram and its variants, perhaps the Tejas Mk2 will options like no other plane in the world has. There are talks that US may offer the advance variant of its AIM BVR. Tejas MK2 is all set the rule the sky for many decades. With low RCS , Great AESA and sop class BVR missiles, Chinese planes like J 10 will be a sitting duck for MWF. J10 with TVC will have some chance against MWF because of TVC. However, State of art HMD, Superior instantaneous turn rate, top class HMD and highly maneuverable WVR like python 5 will nullify TVC advantage of J 10 and other Chinese fighters. Top class EW will enhanced the survivability of MWF. We saw EW functioning of MKI while dodging 5 AIMs. EW suite of MWF will be much more superior. China is unlikely to come up with anything matching for a long long time. Looking to its design , specifications, it seems superior to F16 and even Gripen E/F (Chinese counter[parts are out of comparison). It will remain a work horse for IAF after after MKI and Rafale for many years and will be a headache for India's enemies. It will be a trump card of India's sale of weapon in International market.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles