Why is Madras High Court questioning the ‘one man, one vote’ principle for India’s Parliament?

JBH22

Should every citizen’s vote possess equal weightage when it comes to having a voice in government? The answer in homogenous, unitary states – such as those found in Europe – is simple: yes. The question, however, becomes far more intractable when one is dealing with a large federation. And it becomes especially complicated if that federation is India: a multi-ethnic, polyglot union with a population larger than the entire continent of Africa.

https://scroll.in/article/1003812/w...-man-one-vote-principle-for-indias-parliament

My lord opening can of worms to justify discontent against hindi belt :)

JBH22

In 2026(Just 5 years from today) at the current rate of population(projection) due to delimitation in the Parliament- Tamil Nadu stands to lose 11 seats out of 39, Kerala will lose 6 seats, Karnataka will lose 2 seats and Andhra will lose 6 seats.

The southern states (Esp TN&KL) are going to be penalized for working on our development indicators. States like UP,MP and Bihar have NOT done the hard work needed to improve their development indicators(TFR,FLR, MMR,IMR etc) including empowering their women; thus they have a still-exploding population even as the Southern states see their populations decline. Rewarding states for failing is fundamentally unfair to those who have made sacrifices in the past.

Longewala

Country flag
In 2026(Just 5 years from today) at the current rate of population(projection) due to delimitation in the Parliament- Tamil Nadu stands to lose 11 seats out of 39, Kerala will lose 6 seats, Karnataka will lose 2 seats and Andhra will lose 6 seats.

The southern states (Esp TN&KL) are going to be penalized for working on our development indicators. States like UP,MP and Bihar have NOT done the hard work needed to improve their development indicators(TFR,FLR, MMR,IMR etc) including empowering their women; thus they have a still-exploding population even as the Southern states see their populations decline. Rewarding states for failing is fundamentally unfair to those who have made sacrifices in the past.

I would like to see the argument being used with religion, and giving muslim people 0.8 votes each

Rajaraja Chola

Country flag
I would like to see the argument being used with religion, and giving muslim people 0.8 votes each
When Lalu has 7 kids it's illogical to blame it on religion. It's the mentality of the people in the region sadly.

And yes, southern states can't be penalized for lack of action by NI states. Seats should be increased on percentage basis as it is now. TN had 41 seats in 67 election which got reduced to 39 in 71'. We can't lose any more representation nor any state that has worked to develop its population and achieve reduction goals.

IndianYonko

Country flag
When Lalu has 7 kids it's illogical to blame it on religion. It's the mentality of the people in the region sadly.

And yes, southern states can't be penalized for lack of action by NI states. Seats should be increased on percentage basis as it is now. TN had 41 seats in 67 election which got reduced to 39 in 71'. We can't lose any more representation nor any state that has worked to develop its population and achieve reduction goals.
So when is this facade of democracy is ending. I would love to see that day; when one would say your vote is not as much important since you are not rich or from a rich community.

Just asking how many kids Karunanidhi had?

Last edited:

Cheepek

Looks like the judges have forgotten the basics. That's why I always believe judiciary is the real trojan horse in the country, not the opposition.

India is a union of states, not a federation like the US. It is not the result of an agreement among the states. The states have no right to secede. It is indestructible.
The country is divided into states only for the convenience of administration and nothing else.

The parliament can form new states, alter the areas, boundaries or names of states even without the state's consent.

If tomorrow parliament decides to divide TN into 2,3,4,...n number of states it CAN legally do it and there is nothing that Madras HC can do about it.

It will be wise if the men in black do what they are supposed to do instead of transgressing into affairs of other organs. I still blame this government for sucking up after NJAC was struck down by these (un)wise men.

Rajaraja Chola

Country flag
So when is this facade of democracy is ending. I would love to see that day; when one would say your vote is not as much important since you are not rich or from a rich community.

Just asking how many kids Karunanidhi had?
Karunanidhi married in 60's. Lalu had a kid in 2000. My grandad had 7 kids. My dad older than Lalu had 2. Understand the difference.

So until unless you want to brag that Lalu had the mentality of my grandad age and you being proud bout it, be my guest.

Rajaraja Chola

Country flag
Looks like the judges have forgotten the basics. That's why I always believe judiciary is the real trojan horse in the country, not the opposition.

India is a union of states, not a federation like the US. It is not the result of an agreement among the states. The states have no right to secede. It is indestructible.
The country is divided into states only for the convenience of administration and nothing else.

The parliament can form new states, alter the areas, boundaries or names of states even without the state's consent.

If tomorrow parliament decides to divide TN into 2,3,4,...n number of states it CAN legally do it and there is nothing that Madras HC can do about it.

It will be wise if the men in black do what they are supposed to do instead of transgressing into affairs of other organs. I still blame this government for sucking up after NJAC was struck down by these (un)wise men.
I am of the opinion of DMK demands too much, TN should be divided. But that doesn't matter when any "state" which has successfully reduced population should have their MPs reduced. And that being a nationalist I will oppose to the core.

Akula

Country flag
In Uttarakhand, hilly region will loose seats to plain region due to low population as migration as taken a toll on villages and turned them into ghost villages. Same I guess will happen with Himachal Pradesh but less seats will be gone.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles