Why is Iran building a mock US aircraft carrier?

bhramos

Country flag
Washington: Iran is building a nonworking mock-up of an American nuclear-powered aircraft carrier that US officials say may be intended to be blown up for propaganda value.

Intelligence analysts studying satellite photos of Iranian military installations first noticed the vessel rising from the Gachin shipyard, near Bandar Abbas on the Persian Gulf, last summer. The ship has the same distinctive shape and style of the Navy's Nimitz-class carriers, as well as the USS Nimitz's No. 68 neatly painted in white near the bow. Mock aircraft can be seen on the flight deck.

The Iranian mock-up, which US officials described as more like a barge than a warship, has no nuclear propulsion system and is only about two-thirds the length of a typical 1,100-foot-long Navy (335 metre) carrier. Intelligence officials do not believe that Iran is capable of building an actual aircraft carrier.

A satellite image showing Iran's mock-up of a Nimitz-class aircraft carrier in one of its naval shipyards near Bandar Abbas.
A satellite image showing Iran's mock-up of a Nimitz-class aircraft carrier in one of its naval shipyards near Bandar Abbas. Photo: Digitalglobe

"Based on our observations, this is not a functioning aircraft carrier; it's a large barge built to look like an aircraft carrier," said Commander Jason Salata, a spokesman for the Navy's 5th Fleet in Bahrain, across the Persian Gulf from Iran. "We're not sure what Iran hopes to gain by building this. If it is a big propaganda piece, to what end?"

Advertisement

Whatever the purpose, American officials acknowledged Thursday that they wanted to reveal the existence of the vessel to get out ahead of the Iranians.

Why is Iran building a mock US aircraft carrier?

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag

Haman10

I would love to see that movie. When is it being released?
Does Iran produce such big budget movies?
We donno buddy , they say its possible thay they hire some holywood stars for it .
And yes iran movie industry is robust

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Neo

Neo

We donno buddy , they say its possible thay they hire some holywood stars for it .
And yes iran movie industry is robust

Last Iranian movie I saw Jodai (Seperation) in 2012 and liked it.
I love arthouse movies.

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
Yesterday it was estimations from military experts , today its an iranian news agency report .

What are u so worried about ?

If It's for Testing the Mach 15 AsHM means some sense ..although some of the Senior Members will Laugh your Mach 15

If It's for a Movie you need a Destroyer Base Model ..why do you need an Aircraft Carrier and Tons of Metals wasted for a Damn Movie :fkidding:

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
If it's a movie and they worked hard (and spent a lot) to make a 1:1 (or near) replica of the real AC then they should at least be accurate on the fighter compliment. F5s never operated from American ACs.

lookieloo

None of the theories put forward thus-far make any since. This is way too much effort for a mere film (even Hollywood would balk and this kind of extravagance), and it's way-overwrought for a training/test-article (there are cheaper ways to simulate a carrier).

Then again, if the F-313 taught us anything, sometimes Iran is just that stupid... and desperate for attention. Time will tell.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles