• yes

Votes: 54 78.3%
  • no

Votes: 9 13.0%
  • can't say

Votes: 6 8.7%

• Total voters

niharjhatn

CW2005 I am also a normal member like you are and I am no too old either so you can call me by my name.
coming to the point that you have raised . India and china donot have any historical baggage to hate each other but still unless border disputes are resolved there will not be any long lasting peace or friendship. Problem is that none of country will back down from its position fearing a backlash at home. I agree that no one is friend or foe forever but as of now peace if best option Friendship is far far away.
This is an issue with Asia as a WHOLE. Look at europe - despite continual wars and devastation occuring, European nations have always managed to pull through - and why is that? Because despite an enemity, ultimately European nations help each other. Asian nations are far too concerned about pulling the carpet from between each other's feet, let alone the comradeship enjoyed by many European nations!

SHASH2K2

This is an issue with Asia as a WHOLE. Look at europe - despite continual wars and devastation occuring, European nations have always managed to pull through - and why is that? Because despite an enemity, ultimately European nations help each other. Asian nations are far too concerned about pulling the carpet from between each other's feet, let alone the comradeship enjoyed by many European nations!
Niharanjan when you say this about countries like Pakistan and N Korea its very much applicable. Indian political leadership has been very much sensible in this regard and they have avoided unnecessary jingoism in foreign policies. India has been co-operating with China on on various sensitive issues including climate . If we decided to act as an enemy there we both have lost on that front. Even china is behaving sensibly but we need to go a lot further to improve relationships.

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag
Madam or Sir(dont know your sex, so dont mind), i you are unaware of the facts then let me tell you that European nations hate each other like anything because of the running competitions in all the fields. WW1 and WW2 are its proof. Now as far as the mutual help is concerned then see that before and after the WW2 almost all the European nations mastered one or more colonies which in turn made them extensively rich and it was this money which was heavily utilized in the WWs.

After the war, all the economies were so seriously broken that it took them almost 25-30 to recover. There was no HELPING between each other. And these nations are today developed just because they were developed from last 2 centuries therefore even due to economical breakdown they were able to recover themselves and still today you can see that none of them is a military superpower still 60+ years after WW2 no matter their technological development touches height.

Note that formation of U.N.O basically not formed for mutual co-operations. It was formed to keep a check on the powers of Axis and assure that no WW takes place in future.

Adux

Country flag
China invaded tibet, Posses a bit of our land, Actively tries to neuter india through pakistan and other means. China wants to the most powerful country in the world, and mostly they are just self-obbessed chicoms

Arunpillai

Amusing to see still lot of people wanting good relations with china.. Thought they'd learnt their lessons way back in 1962.. China is an expansionist regime that seeks to be the sole super power in asia.. For that reason it dislikes india.. Another reason is that we have given refuge to Dalaima Lama and his followers.. Also it has disputes with india regarding tibetan border... China's actions over the last decade can hardly be called friendly.. They have regularly trespassed into our land, made public claims over our lands in sikkim and arunachal, gave stapled visas to JK ppl, string of pearls theory in indian ocean, and virtually the POK is over run with PLA soldiers..
Wonder why the indian government rescind the recognition of chinese authority over tibet untill they recognise our sovereignity over Kashmir, sikkim and arunachal... What have we got to lose?

niharjhatn

i you are unaware of the facts then let me tell you that European nations hate each other like anything because of the running competitions in all the fields. WW1 and WW2 are its proof.
The fact that a conflict between nations quickly polarized into two camps shows solidarity more than anything. The english fought the french. In both the wars, the english went and and supported the french.

Americans fought for independence against the british. Despite objections, they involved themselves in both world war 1 and 2 in the aid of the british.

If mutual co-operation was not present, the wars would never have transformed into the "world wars" - they would have been restricted as a war between two nations only; and never escalated into a europe-wide conflict.

Do you see any signs of such solidarity occuring in Asia? Never! No other nation has come to the aid of India over Pakistan's terror links, or even put pressure on Pakistan.

Adux

Country flag
Amusing to see still lot of people wanting good relations with china.. Thought they'd learnt their lessons way back in 1962.. China is an expansionist regime that seeks to be the sole super power in asia.. For that reason it dislikes india.. Another reason is that we have given refuge to Dalaima Lama and his followers.. Also it has disputes with india regarding tibetan border... China's actions over the last decade can hardly be called friendly.. They have regularly trespassed into our land, made public claims over our lands in sikkim and arunachal, gave stapled visas to JK ppl, string of pearls theory in indian ocean, and virtually the POK is over run with PLA soldiers..
Wonder why the indian government rescind the recognition of chinese author
ity over tibet untill they recognise our sovereignity over Kashmir, sikkim and arunachal... What have we got to lose?
They armed and gave pakis's the nuclear bomb, and encouraged them to attack India through terrorism and various sinister ways.

huaxia rox

i suggest my indian friends to see the timeline.

1 india fought pakistan before the PRC was established...so at first PRC didnt mean to do anything to either india or pakistan.

2 PLA took back tibet becoz of a bunch of reasons (those can be discussed in other threads)...and my point is........no matter what....its a problem between china and tibet (as a region or nation)...u indians have no rights to interfer(u have rights to say indeed)...coz it doesnt belong to u.......if 1 day many chinese saying free assam or free nagaland........dont u think its weird??? then why u supported tibet independence?? and there have been tons of peoples seeking their independency in many nations.......why wouldnt u support them???

3 so when u decided to support tibet independence (its easy to anex zangnan if zangnan belongs to a weak nation called tibet rather than a much bigger and stronger PRC rite??)and more importantly FORWARd NORTH.......u d better prepare for the consequences........

4 1 of the coesquences is china pakistan being friends...a result of what india did to pakistan and china.

5 so china is indian foe...no doubt.........we have border issues but even in cold war...the US and soviet union can do lots of things together that can benifit each other......indian and china can do the same.......needless to say we r already in an era of globalization.....

Last edited:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
here is one of the main reason we think China is our enemy

China has illegally taken over our land and Pakistan has given our land illegally to China. Both china and Pakistan are fishing in our area.

ejazr

Ambassador
I think this black and white descriptions of enemy or friend is not appropriate.

But it will be natural to expect competition and even security competition with China as that is the only country that can challenge India. If China wants, it can create a lot of problem for India within the SouthAsia region as well as globally. The only alternative way is for India to show that if China creates problems for us, then India will create reciprocal problems for China as well.

The over all strategy is for India and China to come to a sort of agreement on spheres of influence as I have mentioned in other places. China to should not interfered politically or militarily in countries below the Himalayas. And that includes Pakistan. Any changes or concerns to these countries should be deferred to Indian interests. Similarly, India should reciprocate by not interfering in East Asia. This would be a beginning of healthy basis for interactions.

Other irritants, like the border dispute should be settled under the 2005 agreement were population centres will NOT be exchanged.

If these two steps are followed, we can have stable relationship that will not lead to serious security competition. If that does not happen, and at the moment it seems that China IS interfering wether in Pakistan or Nepal or J&K and Arunachal Pradesh, the problems will increase.

The adjectives like hate and enemy is just a consequence of these realities. In International relations, there is no such this and friends or enemies or love and hate, just national interests.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I think this black and white descriptions of enemy or friend is not appropriate.

But it will be natural to expect competition and even security competition with China as that is the only country that can challenge India. If China wants, it can create a lot of problem for India within the SouthAsia region as well as globally. The only alternative way is for India to show that if China creates problems for us, then India will create reciprocal problems for China as well.

The over all strategy is for India and China to come to a sort of agreement on spheres of influence as I have mentioned in other places. China to should not interfered politically or militarily in countries below the Himalayas. And that includes Pakistan. Any changes or concerns to these countries should be deferred to Indian interests. Similarly, India should reciprocate by not interfering in East Asia. This would be a beginning of healthy basis for interactions.

Other irritants, like the border dispute should be settled under the 2005 agreement were population centres will NOT be exchanged.

If these two steps are followed, we can have stable relationship that will not lead to serious security competition. If that does not happen, and at the moment it seems that China IS interfering wether in Pakistan or Nepal or J&K and Arunachal Pradesh, the problems will increase.

The adjectives like hate and enemy is just a consequence of these realities. In International relations, there is no such this and friends or enemies or love and hate, just national interests.
I'll tell you this multipolar world is always a recipe for wholesale war and destruction. Too many poles, too many countries with triggers to blow up the world, too many opportunities for one of the poles making a crazy miscalculation and triggering a wholesale mayhem. I'd prefer the bipolar world of the cold war or the unipolar world of the US today than one where we're back in 1914 or 1939...

ejazr

Ambassador
Agree with you 100% asianobserve, we are moving into a very unstable era and if history is a guide, there is a chance of great power war that can be quite destructive. Hopefully the nukes and saner minds will prevail and war will be restricited to skirmishes and not go into full fledged World Wars

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
There are a few simple reasons that Chinese common civilians need to understand:

- Aksai Chin

This was eastern Ladakh and belongs to the Indian state of Jammu and Kashmir. More than 3 dozen different dynasties of Indian kings and bigger emperors ruled the province including the taken area. Today it belongs to us.

- Arunachal Pradesh

This place is not south Tibet because there are thousands of ancient relics that are found belonging to our culture. Places such as Parasurama Kund and Rukmininagar are ancient provinces of India since times immemorial--in legends and in history. The Arunachalis are Indians with their main languages derived from Sanskrit especially the Buddhist scripts. What more justification you need for this?

- Shaksgam Valley

Refer to my first explanation

- Pakistan and our stolen territory

We don't care how good your relations are with Pakistan, but we know why they are so good. First, you consider using them as your highway to middle east and Eurasia to safeguard against a blockade. Second, they make the perfect thorn at our side to keep us distracted. We are not even concerned if you have ties at all or not as it is your business. But overt support of this state that is a threat to your country as well in some ways (I hope you got my point) is not good. And worst of all, justifying the stolen territory Pakistan has of ours.

---------------------------------------

Other than these issues, we got nothing against you. So it is entirely your decision whether you want us as your friends and allies or as your enemies.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I have not waded through the posts.

My comments are stand alone.

I don't think that China is an enemy.

It is just that China's action is so irrational that it worries.

Take the way they interpret history.

They are now claiming that the South China Sea is historically that of China.

Chenghiz Khan could be claimed by China as a Chinese.

Babur, the Indian Emperor is a descendant of Chenghiz Khan from the mother's side and of Timur Lame from the father's side.

Therefore, who knows, they may state that India is a part of China!!

That is what worries - they pull rabbits out of a hat and then go gung ho with obstinacy!

Chinese, as people, are good chaps.

Oracle

China is not my enemy. Can Chinese write or even re-produce the code I write? No.

Until Chinese learn English as a first language, they cannot be my competitor even.

When the time comes, when Chinese adapts English, I might be sitting in Beijing supervising Chinese IT workers to get acquainted with Coding Conventions.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
^ Let's keep professional/linguistic acumen to where it belongs, Oracle. We are talking about geopolitics. So please stick to it. English is simply what I would call a necessary devil in today's world. It is not an Indian language and doesn't really make it attractive for us other than for work and international purposes.

Besides, Chinese don't need to adopt English at all. Without it, they are far beyond in terms of manufacturing even if they make goods of different levels of quality (from toys to now bullet trains). We need to first learn to manufacture like them, innovate like them and adopt like them. Then we can lecture them on learning english to deliver better service.

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
^ Let's keep professional/linguistic acumen to where it belongs, Oracle. We are talking about geopolitics. So please stick to it. English is simply what I would call a necessary devil in today's world. It is not an Indian language and doesn't really make it attractive for us other than for work and international purposes.

Besides, Chinese don't need to adopt English at all. Without it, they are far beyond in terms of manufacturing even if they make goods of different levels of quality (from toys to now bullet trains). We need to first learn to manufacture like them, innovate like them and adopt like them. Then we can lecture them on learning english to deliver better service.
Here are my two cents ...

1. I do not think "China" thinks India is an enemy. Here, by "China" I am refering to Chinese people. CCP wants to portray India as another bogeyman in the south, so that they can - a) build up military bases deep in the country, b) support Pakistan and Burma, c) suppress Tibet even more.
2. Average Chinese people know very little about "real" India. They see a few Bollywood movies (what can go past CCP censors), hear/ read the sanitised and concocted news that CCP allows to flow in and meet Indians when they go abroad. With such llimited knowledge, they may have some concern/ misguided views, but HATE is not possible.

On the Indian side, most Indians don't "hate" China. The politicians point to China as a bogeyman again to justify - a) defense spendings, b) Pakistan's weapons development and, c) Tensions in the Northeast. Are these true - to some extent yes, but are they reason enough for India to "hate" China - NO.

Defense researchers, enthusiasts and foreign policy experts believe that competition and potential conflict is inevitable between two rising powers in the neighborhood (like France/ England 1800s, Germany/ Russia 1700s, USA/ USSR 1900s etc). However, competition and conflict are not synonymous with "hate". Most often, the competing powers were also "Frenemies" (yes, even USA and USSR).

So, in my opinion, China and India are going to be Frenemies in most of 2000s.

niceguy2011

Tihar Jail
Banned
India can not afford to address China as an enemy.
Reason is clear, China's military power is far ahead of India's. (Singh)

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Oh don't worry, India will not be facing China alone. Practically the whole Asia is against China now.

What is the phrase, China "stirred the hornet's nest?"

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles