Why Did Mr Nehru decide to halt the progress of the Army at LOC in 1948?

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
Dear Members ,
That question has plagued many of us for a long time .
The background ( if I have my facts correct ) is that , for the second time paramilitary forces
from the Pakistan side had over-run basically the whole of Kashmir and India allowed it to happen, short of the Maharajah of Kashmir inviting India to intervene

When he finally signed the instrument of accession thereby legally allowing India the right and indeed requirement to intervene ( as by signing the instrument he declared the whole of J&K plus GB to be Indian territory )

So following that , India sent the army in and they re-took most of the territory back but they were asked by Mr Nehru to stop the advance at the present LOC even though the Army Generals informed the then PM that they were only 4 days away fro capturing all of GB as well

Why ?

I only know the following :-
(A) Edwina Mountbatten advised MR Nehru not to go further and Mr Nehru for whatever reasons decided to take her advice

(B) Contrary to what the Army claimed, the truth in fact was, that the further advance into very high mountainous territory was not going to be easy and they stopped for a breather which now has became a decades long "pause" especially due to the impasse at the United Nations when Mr Nehru asked for their resolution of the matter .

(C) although the Army could possibly have re-taken the whole of GB in a few days or so , nevertheless it would have been a very difficult and costly to try to hold on to it dues to the mountainous terrain due to which all sorts of Taliban and mujaheddin could easily infiltrate and India would be trapped in the quagmire of a decades long guerrilla warfare .- costly in terms of man and money

(D) Mr Nehru wanted to appease Pakistan and help them be content with a portion of the entire state of Kashmir, so he decided to give them the difficult to live in mountainous regions as a face -saver

(E) India did not have what it took to contain and administer GB , being mountainous and thus porous to entry of jihadi-type elements and so deided to be content with administering only the valley given that the valley itself was enough of a territory to handle .

But i also ask myself , couldn't India merely control the low lying areas leading to the mountains i.e. the peripheral low areas and thereby contain and control access to the mountainous territory and thereby prevent any mujaheddin or others from entering in the first instance ? And those already in , prevent them getting out and they would freeze to ..... or capture them as they tried to exit ? I know it is easier said than done that's why i am asking at this forum

Most Grateful for your comments and replies

@Krusty@lcafanboy
@nick_indian@Deadshot Para Guy@Google@republic_roi97@Defcon 1 @GhanteshwarSER=21606]@Ramdasrathsuryavanshi[/USER]@vinay535@Darth Malgus USER=14856]@Rushil51[/USER]@rishivashista13
@Ramdasrathsuryavanshi@Imaxxx@Eastman @raheel besharam@Bullet@raja696@LordOfTheUnderworlds

@Amr
@AnkitPurohit@Akshay_Fenix@aditya10r@Akaskkumar@airtel@angeldude13@aditya10r@Abhijat@AncientIndian@anupamsurey@aliyah @@Alien@AravindSanjeev @Achauhan@asingh10@AdityaG@asianobserve@Bahamut @BATTLEFIELD@Berkut@bose@Bornubus@brational@blueblood@Blackwater
@Blood+@bhai-117@Bangalorean@bengalraider
@Bengal_Tiger@biswas_k11 @BharatEkKhoj @BroodFather @cobracommando@Chirag @ChrisJude@Chinmoy@Cadian@DingDong@dhananjay1@ersakthivel@FRYCRY
@G10@Gessler@garg_bharat@guru-dutt @HariSud
@hit&run@hardip@HeinzGud@indiandefencefan@I_PLAY_BAD @IndianDevil@Indibomber@IndianHawk@Jangaruda
@JayPatel@jackprince@Kshatriya87@kstriya@LETHALFORCE@laughingbuddha@mhk99@Mikesingh@mayfair@MetsaMan@Markantony@manutdfan@maomao @NavneetKundu@Neil@NickyG@OneGrimPilgrim@pmaitra@parijataka@PaliwalWarrior@Pulkit@PrashantAzazel@rahulsingh@Rowdy@Razor@Rashna@[email protected]@shade@sasum@smestarz @SakalGhareluUstad@Srinivas_K@ShashankSharma@SANITY
@sunnyv@sgarg@sabari@Sameet2@saik@sorcerer@Superdefender@sydsnyper@Sridevi@SREEKAR@Screambowl@Sylex21@square@TacticalFrog@TejasMK3@Theenlightened
@TamilER]@tejaswarior@tharun@thethinker@tsunami@TODELU@VIP@VaghaDeva@Vishwarupa@VishalGuts@Yusuf@Yumdoot@Zebra

Last edited:

Shashank Sharma

As far as I know, a very strategic entrance to the PoK is the Haji Pir pass that lies in Pakistan. In fact all the easily accessible routes to that region originate in Pakistan. In the course of 1965 war we had gained control of this vital pass but our 'great' PM Lal Bahadur Shastri decided to hand control of it back to Pakistan as soon as the war was over! We are still paying the price of this blunder till date!

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter
Further before 1962 the govt wanted to disband military and cut their salary by 2 monthes because they felt their was no need for a large military as India was a poor economy and we had no geopolitical enemy.

This intention was listened by my elder on All India Radio. He was in the army at that time. I can't remember the name of that Minister. This incident is before 1962 war.

That's why Soldeirs fought the 1962 war with empty stomach and .303 Rifle and 50 cartridge.

AnantS

Country flag
^ Yep True my elder uncle was in BIA and then IA. Nehru said Army was good for nothing eating away resources, it should be put to work like building roads and dams.

Willy2

1) Nehru believe that Pakistan will follow UN orders , withdraw army and tribes , and as per as resolution "he"can solve the problem and became nominee of nobel peace prize.
2)In reality Army progress was slow by then ,thanks to Nehru who put sheikh abdullah as a charge of Army operation , instead of general.
3)To capture now G-B we heavily need burzil pass ,which always close for 7 month . but our effort in 1948 summer fail , so it delayed till49 summer .
4)Ladakh scouts progress also halted after heavy resistance in kargil and Dras, Batalik sector.
5)In that time , many kashmiri muslim in modern Azad kashmir and shias of G-B help pakistani soldiers , with their knowledge of local terrain Pakistani finally put some strong defence in mid 48, which make our progress slow.

All these condition and Nehrus naive attitude towards army lead him to the conclusion that army is incompetent to solve the solution , so he ran to UN.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
1) Nehru believe that Pakistan will follow UN orders , withdraw army and tribes , and as per as resolution "he"can solve the problem and became nominee of nobel peace prize.
2)In reality Army progress was slow by then ,thanks to Nehru who put sheikh abdullah as a charge of Army operation , instead of general.
3)To capture now G-B we heavily need burzil pass ,which always close for 7 month . but our effort in 1948 summer fail , so it delayed till49 summer .
4)Ladakh scouts progress also halted after heavy resistance in kargil and Dras, Batalik sector.
5)In that time , many kashmiri muslim in modern Azad kashmir and shias of G-B help pakistani soldiers , with their knowledge of local terrain Pakistani finally put some strong defence in mid 48, which make our progress slow.

All these condition and Nehrus naive attitude towards army lead him to the conclusion that army is incompetent to solve the solution , so he ran to UN.
Thanks Sir
your post gives me a comprehensive answer which i could never get for indeed years
The way you write also seems to indicate that you might have actually served somewhere in the forces or perhaps youre learned in military history
If possible and if it's not inconvenient would be nice to hear some of your background
Glad to have you on the forum .

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
Because our politician don't believe that our military can't guarantee victory.
Even today the kind of thinking exist.

AnantS

Country flag
He also wanted to disband the military all together biggest idiot in history crown belongs to nehru

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well Today Kejriwal seems to be working hard to further lower the bar to win the crown. It seems in India's most literate PM/netas often prove to be .... useless

Last edited:

anoop_mig25

Country flag
Dear Members ,
The background ( if I have my facts correct ) is that , for the second time paramilitary forces
from the Pakistan side had over-run basically the whole of Kashmir and India allowed it to happen, short of the Maharajah of Kashmir inviting India to intervene

When he finally signed the instrument of accession thereby legally allowing India the right and indeed requirement to intervene ( as by signing the instrument he declared the whole of J&K plus GB to be Indian territory )

So following that , India sent the army in and they re-took most of the territory back but they were asked by Mr Nehru to stop the advance at the present LOC even though the Army Generals informed the then PM that they were only 4 days away fro capturing all of GB as well

Why ?

(A) Edwina Mountbatten advised MR Nehru not to go further and Mr Nehru for whatever reasons decided to take her advice

(B) Contrary to what the Army claimed, the truth in fact was, that the further advance into very high mountainous territory was not going to be easy and they stopped for a breather which now has became a decades long "pause" especially due to the impasse at the United Nations when Mr Nehru asked for their resolution of the matter .

(C) although the Army could possibly have re-taken the whole of GB in a few days or so , nevertheless it would have been a very difficult and costly to try to hold on to it dues to the mountainous terrain due to which all sorts of Taliban and mujaheddin could easily infiltrate and India would be trapped in the quagmire of a decades long guerrilla warfare .- costly in terms of man and money

(D) Mr Nehru wanted to appease Pakistan and help them be content with a portion of the entire state of Kashmir, so he decided to give them the difficult to live in mountainous regions as a face -saver

(E) India did not have what it took to contain and administer GB , being mountainous and thus porous to entry of jihadi-type elements and so deided to be content with administering only the valley given that the valley itself was enough of a territory to handle .

But i also ask myself , couldn't India merely control the low lying areas leading to the mountains i.e. the peripheral low areas and thereby contain and control access to the mountainous territory and thereby prevent any mujaheddin or others from entering in the first instance ? And those already in , prevent them getting out and they would freeze to ..... or capture them as they tried to exit ? I know it is easier said than done that's why i am asking at this forum

@Krusty@lcafanboy
@nick_indian@Deadshot Para Guy@Google@republic_roi97@Defcon 1 @GhanteshwarSER=21606]@Ramdasrathsuryavanshi[/USER]@vinay535@Darth Malgus USER=14856]@Rushil51[/USER]@rishivashista13
@Ramdasrathsuryavanshi@Imaxxx@Eastman @raheel besharam@Bullet@raja696@LordOfTheUnderworlds

@Amr
@AnkitPurohit@Akshay_Fenix@aditya10r@Akaskkumar@airtel@angeldude13@aditya10r@Abhijat@AncientIndian@anupamsurey@aliyah @@Alien@AravindSanjeev @Achauhan@asingh10@AdityaG@asianobserve@Bahamut @BATTLEFIELD@Berkut@bose@Bornubus@brational@blueblood@Blackwater
@Bengal_Tiger@biswas_k11 @BharatEkKhoj @BroodFather @cobracommando@Chirag @ChrisJude@Chinmoy@Cadian@DingDong@dhananjay1@ersakthivel@FRYCRY
@hit&run@hardip@HeinzGud@indiandefencefan@I_PLAY_BAD @IndianDevil@Indibomber@IndianHawk@Jangaruda
@JayPatel@jackprince@Kshatriya87@kstriya@LETHALFORCE@laughingbuddha@mhk99@Mikesingh@mayfair@MetsaMan@Markantony@manutdfan@maomao @NavneetKundu@Neil@NickyG@OneGrimPilgrim@pmaitra@parijataka@PaliwalWarrior@Pulkit@PrashantAzazel@rahulsingh@Rowdy@Razor@Rashna@[email protected]@shade@sasum@smestarz @SakalGhareluUstad@Srinivas_K@ShashankSharma@SANITY
@sunnyv@sgarg@sabari@Sameet2@saik@sorcerer@Superdefender@sydsnyper@Sridevi@SREEKAR@Screambowl@Sylex21@square@TacticalFrog@TejasMK3@Theenlightened
@TamilER]@tejaswarior@tharun@thethinker@tsunami@TODELU@VIP@VaghaDeva@Vishwarupa@VishalGuts@Yusuf@Yumdoot@Zebra

According to me only option B seems to be playing in mind of nehru.

that capturing highly diffcult terrian would take time +money+blood , eventually big powers would had pressurized us for CS

I mean nehru was libreal so i donot think he would have withstood blood bath in that diffcult terrain

I donot think fiance would been ans as if we had captured GB we would by now had developed economy to manage it

Even now our policy maker are not interested in capturing GB because of difficult Terran + money + blood bath

they are happy in what we have and hoping some day pakistan would realise its stupidity ,stop terrorism and convert LoC into IB

mayfair

Well Today Kejriwal seems to be working hard to further lower the bar to win the crown. It seems in India's most literate PM/netas often prove to be .... useless
Then how do you reconcile the fact that some of the most vitriol spewing, Narendra Modi bashing folks out there happen to be huge AAP supporters and members, including as someone here pointed out ex-para commandos.

Are they blind not see what Kejriwal represents?

mayfair

As far as I know, a very strategic entrance to the PoK is the Haji Pir pass that lies in Pakistan. In fact all the easily accessible routes to that region originate in Pakistan. In the course of 1965 war we had gained control of this vital pass but our 'great' PM Lal Bahadur Shastri decided to hand control of it back to Pakistan as soon as the war was over! We are still paying the price of this blunder till date!
We had Haji Pir in 1948 as well, for some reason we withdrew before the LoC was demarcated and Pakis promptly occupied it.

AnantS

Country flag
Then how do you reconcile the fact that some of the most vitriol spewing, Narendra Modi bashing folks out there happen to be huge AAP supporters and members, including as someone here pointed out ex-para commandos.

Are they blind not see what Kejriwal represents?
Why ? The answer is very similar to the reason why once loyal Satwant SIngh & Beant Singh turned their guns on PM:- Influenced by civvie freinds/relatives. The talk in villages, gurdwaras, families influence decision.

mayfair

Why ? The answer is very similar to the reason why once loyal Satwant SIngh & Beant Singh turned their guns on PM:- Influenced by civvie freinds/relatives. The talk in villages, gurdwaras, families influence decision.
They also talk in officers gatherings, meetings, etc. Influence goes both ways. It needs to be noted that Armed forces like any other are a microcosm of Indian society- diverse cultures, food habits and of course ideologies.

Satwant SIngh & Beant Singh turned their guns on PM, yes, but how many Sikhs in the army revolted or mutinied? A small fraction you will find.

One has to accept that folks within the armed forces have varying motivations to be there and may have very differing opinions on what is their mandate as a soldier and of the armed forces in general. It's not surprising that serving and/or retired officers act as per their own interests and perceptions.

Col. Shooklaw is one fine example.

pmaitra

Please read the thread title. The question is why Nehru stopped at LoC in 1948.

We have separate threads for 1962, 1965, and 1971. Also, this is not the place to discuss AAP.

Last edited:

mayfair

Please read the thread title. The question is why Nehru stopped at LoC in 1984.
1948 Sir! :smile:

Unless you mean his grandson who pulled back from crossing the LoC in 1987. Gen. Hoon was ready to smash across Pak defences then..

pmaitra

1948 Sir! :smile:

Unless you mean his grandson who pulled back from crossing the LoC in 1987. Gen. Hoon was ready to smash across Pak defences then..
Typo corrected. Thanks.

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
Indian politicians are/were trapped by Pakis and in return politicians took money for elections or got honey trapped.

indiazain

Country flag
Dear Members ,

Why ?

@Krusty@lcafanboy

@Amr
nehru and gandhi family never really had to work hard for anything.To me personally they are the biggest internal threat to our country.Just hope better sence prevails on the clowns who vote for such criminal goons.
As a proud Indian I feel disgraced ever time I see Rahul pappu gandu and his family having nsg protection.
This clown is perhaps the most foolish person on earth i have ever seen.

Please watch this video below and ask ur self if someone like this should be allowed can make a single policy decision .Our enemy's will be prying in their graves for this clown to be pm.More on topic now , Rahul pappu is just the same as all gandhis before him after him only difference is he more italiian than russian or brithish.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles