Why did China withdraw from Arunachal in 1962 skirmish?

Officer of Engineers

Professional
Well if the PLAAF was that powerful, then it should have been used extensively in the war against indian positions. The fact that it wasn't says a lot about the confidence or the lack of it in the PLAAF by the then powers to be.
1. PLAAF was short of effective striking force in 1962.
In 1962, PLAAF had thousands of mig19/mig17 and most powerful defensive air force only behind USA and Soviet.
however,PLAAF was short of long-range striking force like long-range bombers. at that time ,PLAAF was mainly armed H5,a short-range lighter bombers ,which was not availabe in sino-india war.

2. China wanted to limit the scale of the war.
You're both wrong. The PLAAF's strength during this time period was not fighter jets, it was triple-As. Chinese triple-As shot down 5 times more aircrafts than their MiGs ever did and the tricks they learned during the Korean War was used well into the Vietnam War with PLAAF regiments still downing American planes heading towards Hanoi.

Triple-A batteries were deployed en-massed in 1962. Thus I am skeptical about the InAF claims that they could have won the war all by themselves.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
ok thanks all but pity no one answere the comparison with aksai chin ....how were they able to hold on to that despite the terrain .....anyway thanks

badguy2000

Respected Member
ok thanks all but pity no one answere the comparison with aksai chin ....how were they able to hold on to that despite the terrain .....anyway thanks
PLa had to cross great Hymalaya,if PLA wanted to occupy AP.

however, it was India that had to cross Karakorum ,if India wanted to occupy akasai chin.

akasai chin is much more closer to PLA's logitics line than india's .

Country flag
PLa had to cross great Hymalaya,if PLA wanted to occupy AP.

however, it was India that had to cross Karakorum ,if India wanted to occupy akasai chin.

akasai chin is much more closer to PLA's logitics line than india's .
karakorum (highway) isn't it in pak-occupied kashmir,not akasi- chin side??

Sabir

DFI TEAM
.........Aksai Chin in the west and Arunachal in the east. Aksai Chin then was more crucial to China than Arunachal because through Aksai Chin ran the road linking Sinkiang with Tibet. China believed the road vital to maintaining its grip on Tibet. As a result, it was willing to forgo its claims in Arunachal in return for Indian concessions in Aksai China. Nehru rebuffed the offer. After the war, China tightened its grip on Aksai China and withdrew to pre- war positions in Arunachal........

Link for the para I have quoted...

The Big Picture: Sparring with China over Arunachal Pradesh

badguy2000

Respected Member
Mountain karakorum lies between aksai china and Kashimir.

if India army want to occupy aksai china, they have to cross the mountain as high as Hymalaya

mig-29

I want to get a clarification over here is it true that Pakistan conceded aksai chin to china in 1959 in order to gain military aid and if its true can anyone point me towards more links apart from the Wikipedia one.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Yes it was ceded by Pakistan to China.

Chinese foreign policy spokesmen have been careful not to take sides in their statements on Kashmir -- the memory of a brief but brutal war in 1962 was precipitated by China's actions in this very sector.

It culminated in China seizing about 38,000 square kilometers (14,670 sq mile) of Indian territory in Aksai Chin, as well as another 5,180 sq km (2,000 sq miles) of northern Kashmir that Pakistan later ceded to Beijing under a 1963 pact.
CNN.com - Aksai Chin: China's disputed slice of Kashmir - May 24, 2002

it's part of the area thst Pakistan ceded. Rest was captured by China in the 62 war.

Pintu

Yes it was ceded by Pakistan to China.
it's part of the area thst Pakistan ceded. Rest was captured by China in the 62 war.
True, agreed with Yusuf, the part was ceded by Pakistan to China , but beg to differ here a little bit the area that we have seeing as Akshai Chin was occupied by PLA from 1959 onwards , please see the link I have given :

Increased Tension in Sino-Indian Relations

Regards

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Mountain karakorum lies between aksai china and Kashimir.

if India army want to occupy aksai china, they have to cross the mountain as high as Hymalaya
I am afraid you have to see the map once again!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The Chinese withdrew from Arunachal in 1962 since there were no roads and they could not sustain themselves.

The bog talk of teaching India a lesson would have backfired!

She did not withdraw in the West since it was logistically sustainable!

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Yes Sir. Gives the Chinese a nice little strip to use against india.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
That is why S8iachen is important to India and the wimp of a PM wants to hand it over to Pakistan (after action report of the NAM Havana meet) and that fool JJ Singh to please him nearly agreed!

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I think I might have missed that but when was Siachen offered to be given back? I don't think a place we worked hard to get and worked even harder to maintain by way of loss of lives of our soldiers just to keep an inhospitable region because of it's strategic importance, can be just handed over to them. Heck we cannot even think of demilitarizing let alone hand it over.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
In a rare instance of a senior army official commenting on an issue being handled at the diplomatic level, Western Air Command Chief A K Singh that India and Pakistan need to demarcate boundaries before making any decision on demilitarizing the Siachen Glacier. The Western Air Command provides logistical support to the army in maintaining more than 4,000 troops on the glacier, where altitudes range between 4,500 and 7,500 meters.

"I personally feel that we need to demarcate the area so that tomorrow no counter-claims are made," Singh said. Pakistan has repeatedly rejected such a request, saying that agreeing to it would be the same as accepting India's control over the area.

Singh's comments follow a top Indian army official's statement at Siachen in which he ruled out any compromise with Pakistan over troop withdrawal from the glacier. The officer said the glacier is of strategic and diplomatic significance to India and that the two sides would have to mark current troop positions formally before any withdrawal could be considered.
Not old JJ Singh but another Singh

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I think I might have missed that but when was Siachen offered to be given back? I don't think a place we worked hard to get and worked even harder to maintain by way of loss of lives of our soldiers just to keep an inhospitable region because of it's strategic importance, can be just handed over to them. Heck we cannot even think of demilitarizing let alone hand it over.
Manmohan who is a Bhapa Khalsa would never understand. All he can understand is money! JJ is also a Bhapa!

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Manmohan who is a Bhapa Khalsa would never understand. All he can understand is money! JJ is also a Bhapa!
Sir, Gen JJ Singh Marwah would not be a bhapa but Manmohan Singh Kohli would be. Bhapa is used only for khukrain khatri sikhs (Anand, Sabharwal, Chadha, Kohli, Sahni, Suri, etc.)

Gen JJ Singh, Lt Gen JS Aurora, Lt Gen Harbaksh Singh are all from the same caste, I believe.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles