Why cant Bollywood make good action movies like Hollywood?

ITBP

All Bollywood movies have, are love stories, there are 1 girl and 1 boy, random dance etc BS.

India has rich history, we can make good war movies, why we cant make good war movies like War Of The arrows, Little Big Soldier, Red Cliff, Bang Rajan 2, Saving Private Ryan or like this? I am basically fed up with Bollywood's endless love stories.

angeldude13

Lestat De Lioncourt
Country flag
All Bollywood movies have, are love stories, there are 1 girl and 1 boy, random dance etc BS.

India has rich history, we can make good war movies, why we cant make good war movies like War Of The arrows, Little Big Soldier, Red Cliff, Bang Rajan 2, Saving Private Ryan or like this? I am basically fed up with Bollywood's endless love stories.
People in India like student of the year kinda fake movies which has got nothing to do with real life in India.

They say we live real life so why bother watching reality based movies??
To escape reality people watch these sh8tty student of the year type movies and dislike movies like dil toh baccha hai ji type movies which shows reality.

PredictablyMalicious

Punjabi
Banned
Well I think Justice Katju has already answered this question with his infamous statement : 90 percent of Indians are idiots.

abhi_the _gr8_maratha

Country flag
first problem is money. Action movies of hollywood costs huge and indian film industry doesn't have that vast market compared to hollywood.
the second problem is mentality..... Those who makes film doesn't do it to make a quality film but to earn money...... This has given birth to formulas, masala etc.
those who makes films have no knowledge of films and techniques of dramas, they make films to earn money.

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
first problem is money. Action movies of hollywood costs huge and indian film industry doesn't have that vast market compared to hollywood.
the second problem is mentality..... Those who makes film doesn't do it to make a quality film but to earn money...... This has given birth to formulas, masala etc.
those who makes films have no knowledge of films and techniques of dramas, they make films to earn money.
I agree on the money part but I have a mixed view on technique,quality etc
While generally this maybe the case but I can guarantee you that this is not always true. Satyajit Ray was an exception in Indian cinema. His films were of diiferent quality like Sonar Kella etc.
All Hollywood movies are not good. They might win oscars but there is a hidden lobby that actual controls the oscar winners. There was a report on this lobby system in the daily newspapers. One example of this lobby voting would be that of the oscar winner in the animation category. The low budget Japanese film "The Wind Rises" did not win the oscar despite being critically acclaimed. Instead that nonsensical and childish film Frozen which was produced by the multi billion dollar production house Disney took away the prize.
Also not all Hollywood films have great content. I recently saw the film "Maleficient" and found nothing magnificent in it.

abhi_the _gr8_maratha

Country flag
we are talking about action mother @Peter . Satyajit Ray is good but nothing compare to Christopher Nolan. Watch the dark knight trilogy, inception, prestige ,memento( this was copied by amir and known as gajani) etc. You will know what true movie means ( all directed by nolan) then watch pirates of caribbean -1,2,3,4 , and there are many like oceans 11,12,13, MIB, Spiderman, iron man and all super heroes, transformer,source code. Not single bollywood movie stand near this movies

Last edited by a moderator:

kseeker

Retired
Bollywood still makes good movies related to war, Indian Armed forces, counter terrorism etc... however, I must admit, the numbers are very few compared to same old love and drama themes.

I watched latest movie related to counter terrorism today, it was in fact good.

Holiday (2014) - IMDb
A military officer attempts to hunt down a terrorist, destroy a terrorist gang and deactivate the sleeper cells under its command.

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
we are talking about action mother @Peter . Satyajit Ray is good but nothing compare to Christopher Nolan. Watch the dark knight trilogy, inception, prestige ,memento( this was copied by amir and known as gajani) etc. You will know what true movie means ( all directed by nolan) then watch pirates of caribbean -1,2,3,4 , and there are many like oceans 11,12,13, MIB, Spiderman, iron man and all super heroes, transformer,source code. Not single bollywood movie stand near this movies

Look comparing Satyajit Ray and Christopher Nolan is not air. Both were/are masters in their fields and one can never compare greats.

However I would like to point out a few things about Christopher Nolan. There have been reports that he indulges in plagiarism and he apparently stole the idea of "Inception" from a Disney cartoon movie. In case of the Dark Knight you probably have heard that there were "remarkable" similarities between Stallone`s "Cliffhanger" and Nolan`s Dark Knight Rises(Do a google search on this). Of course the allegations might be untrue but we can never know for sure.
Also the budget difference between Ray`s films and Nolan`s films are just too much. If Nolan had to work with Ray`s budget I am quite confident that his Batman would simply have been a Neanderthal man.

As for Satyajit Ray, his films were simplistic and yet captivated our minds. He was a pioneer in many film making techniques too. His films like Apur Sansar etc are priceless.
As for action films you had mentioned those are nothing but costly CGI effects. That is not film making but using a computer animation to delight the gullible audience. You require money for that.

@jus Yup bollywood may copy now from Hollywood but things were different in the past.
Don`t forget that the famous E.T. film`s concept was copied from one of Ray`s film. Spielberg even mistakenly acknowledged this(he was reluctant to do so).
So, in the past Hollywood used to copy from our films.(The fact is Koi Mil Gaya was copied from E.T. which itself was copied from Ray`s film)

IMO Indian films are way under rated abroad. Films like Taare Zameen Par, Lagaan should have got more acclaim abroad. They were way better than many Hollywood films. Not only Indian films but all other non American/European films are given little recognition. One really under rated Japanese animation film I can think of is "Akira". It has a very deep meaning. Do check it out if you can.

Last edited by a moderator:

Free Karma

One really under rated Japanese animation film I can think of is "Akira". It has a very deep meaning. Do check it out if you can.
Akira Soundtrack - Kaneda's Theme - YouTube

<333

I dont usually watch Anime, but this one I really loved, I want to get the books, they are supposed to be even better and have a better explanation of the whole story (as with all book->movie conversions). And no, it is not underrated at all, it is regarded as one the best animation films of all time I think.

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
Buddy remove ur patriotism/nationalism glasses u mentions 1or 2 movies i give u 3-400 movies copied by bolly

its ok at least Bolly making Movies &gaining profits, by Holly onslaught so many movie industries DISAPPEARED or stop making movies
You did not get me and sadly I cannot edit my posts.

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
Akira Soundtrack - Kaneda's Theme - YouTube

<333

I dont usually watch Anime, but this one I really loved, I want to get the books, they are supposed to be even better and have a better explanation of the whole story (as with all book->movie conversions). And no, it is not underrated at all, it is regarded as one the best animation films of all time I think.
Well it did not win an oscar like Frozen. Frozen is like an atom compared to this film. Yet Frozen earns a billion dollars while this film only earned a few millions. Too much injustice.

ITBP

Bollywood still makes good movies related to war, Indian Armed forces, counter terrorism etc... however, I must admit, the numbers are very few compared to same old love and drama themes.

I watched latest movie related to counter terrorism today, it was in fact good.

Holiday (2014) - IMDb
A military officer attempts to hunt down a terrorist, destroy a terrorist gang and deactivate the sleeper cells under its command.
Thanks for sharing it, will watch it.

I say South Indian movies are better than Bollywood.

Kurukshetra (2008 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kandahar (2010 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Keerthi Chakra (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enthiran

But 1 must watch Magadheera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

LOC Kargil is slow, Border too much emotion, Lakshya's action's are good.

But IMO best Hindi action movie is 1971 (2007 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia it's truly awesome.

Last edited:

Free Karma

Well it did not win an oscar like Frozen. Frozen is like an atom compared to this film. Yet Frozen earns a billion dollars while this film only earned a few millions. Too much injustice.
Well, you know other prizes created by the west, like the nobel peace prize... That should tell you something.

jmj_overlord

of course bollywood is trying. It's recent ventures like ra.one, robot are examples, both the films in which foreign technicians have used. Still after all budgets are far less when compared to hollywood, to make an action movie as per hollywood standards

ninja85

absolutely right,when bollywood cheap made garbage movies earning profits why spend on quality.:rofl::laugh::lol:

ninja85

of course bollywood is trying. It's recent ventures like ra.one, robot are examples, both the films in which foreign technicians have used. Still after all budgets are far less when compared to hollywood, to make an action movie as per hollywood standards
problem is not technicians,these idiots don't know how to direct a movie.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles