Buddhism in India

gajapati.

Country flag
That's because he didn't know. He was very good at keeping the unknown a mystery among his followers. But there were some slip ups. One time when asked about how sudden rain occurs he is reported saying that sudden rain occurs due to rain making gods are having sex in the clouds.

He was just another man trying to live a comfy life without responsibilities. He's no different from any other Sadhu of his time. All were bullshitters.
He openly admitted his ignorance . I have mentioned the incident of leaf and forest read the whole comment . Focus on philosphy rather than the scientific understanding . Its 600 BC we are talking about . Today dark matter,dark energy , string theory etc are trending . May be after 2600 years in future people ll laugh at us looking at the youtube archive videos of scientists .

Science is good for accumulation of knowledge which is infinite but does it teaches art of living . Its job of culture and philosophy . There many examples of scientists doing suicide in young age . And Buddha never claimed to be God . Followers made him God after his death . I see Buddhism as another branch of philosophy which originated in indian subcontinent .

Last edited:

HeinzGud

Country flag
He openly admitted his ignorance . I have mentioned the incident of leaf and forest read the whole comment . Focus on philosphy rather than the scientific understanding . Its 600 BC we are talking about . Today dark matter,dark energy , string theory etc are trending . May be after 2600 years in future people ll laugh at us looking at the youtube archive videos of scientists .

Science is good for accumulation of knowledge which is infinite but does it teaches art of living . Its job of culture and philosophy . There many examples of scientists doing suicide in young age . And Buddha never claimed to be God . Followers made him God after his death . I see Buddhism as another branch of philosophy which originated in indian subcontinent .
He never did. If he did so no one would've believed him and none would have worshipped and sustained him. The magic always lies with the illusion.

What philosophy? He was paraphrasing tweaked version of Hindu philosophy. That was nothing new.

He didn't even know how and why the rain falls. Do you think he knew about the unknown?

Indian philosophy is flawed. I regard the greeks to be much better philosophers than the Hindus

DEV1729

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
He never did. If he did so no one would've believed him and none would have worshipped and sustained him. The magic always lies with the illusion.

What philosophy? He was paraphrasing tweaked version of Hindu philosophy. That was nothing new.

He didn't even know how and why the rain falls. Do you think he knew about the unknown?

Indian philosophy is flawed. I regard the greeks to be much better philosophers than the Hindus
Buddhism is a heretic cult by a wannabe shakya prince who feared death and abandonned his wife and small kid.Most of buddha's middle path are copied from upanishads ,vedas and some indian tribal ethos when he was roaming in the jungles of gaya ,he plagiarised hindu teachings he learned from his hindu guru who he reffered as happy saint in his dream.

gajapati.

Country flag

Have you studied hindu philosphy and Buddhist philosphy ? There are many originality . In fact both system critically debated with each other for a long time .

Philosphy is not about unknown . Its about the way you look at the life . He neither clamed to be messenger of God nor he claimed to be google search engine . He just said i have found a way to live a life beyond suffering and i can teach you .

Greeks had great philosophers . I like western philosophy as well . There are many similarities . But buddhism and advaita vedanta is what i connect with . It depends from person to person .

HeinzGud

Country flag
Have you studied hindu philosphy and Buddhist philosphy ? There are many originality . In fact both system critically debated with each other for a long time .
Yes I have. I agree that there are originalities but my point is Buddha didn't invent anything new.

Philosphy is not about unknown . Its about the way you look at the life . He neither clamed to be messenger of God nor he claimed to be google search engine . He just said i have found a way to live a life beyond suffering and i can teach you .
So what was the way he taught? Serve him and gain merits for future lives. Buddha contradicted himself on several occasions. He had no knowledge of the natural world nor anything more complex.

asaffronladoftherisingsun

Dharma Dispatcher
Country flag
I don't know about Plato's chit chats. But Greeks world view and rationality is something that I do not see from Indians.
That is because you are being dyslexic. Nagarjuna alone was one of the top 5 philosophers who ever walked the earth.

Now stop being one and closely look at the Dharmik Upanishads and platos.

Upanishads : Jagan Mithya that the world is illusory. Eternal real truth is Brahman that is Brahma Satya.

Plato - The world is ever changing unreal. The good is real the realm of ideas that is eidos is eternal.

There is not much difference. I am not saying all is same to same but Orphic Pythagoreanism Heraclitus Parmenides have direct influences from BHARTIYA Indian thoughts.

Greek have a monistic (Advaita) doctrine very similar to Vedanta of BHARAT.

AUSTERLITZ

Country flag
Visited nalanda,bodhgaya recently.Such a wonderful place,parts of it felt like a lost world.The buddhist circuit is a great initiative.We also need to revive buddhist aesthetics in painting ,sculpture and architecture.
I would like a revival of neo gandhara style in sculpture.
Pala empire style paintings and sculptures.
And some buddhist monumental styles(not mayawati making rows of elephants).

The mahabodhi temple for example is unique.Its architectural style is a throwback to the gupta period.Its the longest surviving brick structure in india today.Was orginally built by asoka,then rebuilt by the guptas,finally repaired in the 19th century.Elements of this design survive in hindu temples,but really i would like some of this aesthetic to be revived.

Look at some of these pala sculptures.The palas were the last great buddhist emperors.The co-existence and co-patronage of hindu and buddhist art is also notable.

Sompura mahavihara by devapala.Conjectural reconstruction makes it look similar to angkor wat in many ways.Now in bangladesh.

Some surviving pala era paintings on manuscripts.This was the inehritance from the classical periods,and we lost it.

https://twitter.com/DalrympleWill/status/1231055629856452608
https://twitter.com/mahaaabharatha/status/1495308719705362438

Gandhara sculpture(indo-greek blend).Why dont we revive it?Pakis dont care,they are smashing buddha statues that they dig up.Punjabi hindus and kashmiri hindus, buddhists should revive it as an art form.

Instead you see some of the statues and sculptures being made today ,even in govt sponsored renovation projects.The quality is very poor.They lack proportion and intricacy.

We have zero urban planning.Even the new railway station in ayodhya is very ugly with 2 sikharas randomly put up.And we always just put up chattris everywhere .I feel very sad sometimes.

Dharma Dispatcher
Country flag
Umm.... yeah.... most of us don't believe in that. I am not very deep in my customs, but pretty sure we don't eat Hindu Brahmins.
Visited nalanda,bodhgaya recently.Such a wonderful place,parts of it felt like a lost world.The buddhist circuit is a great initiative.We also need to revive buddhist aesthetics in painting ,sculpture and architecture.
The alleged Buddha's followers have long astrayed from the original path of Kshatriya Buddha.

Dharma Dispatcher
Country flag
The Buddhists of Gandhara were following the gotra (lineage) system of Hindus An inscription from Huvishka's reign mentions two monks from Taxila who belonged to the Apamanyava gotra

1673674776220.png

1673674782678.png

The Gotra system was also very prevalent among the Buddhists of Magadha An inscription found in Sanchi mentions a Kashyapa Gotri Arhata who was the master of all Vinayas

1673674810029.png

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles