Why are we phasing out the mig-23 before the mig-21 ?

thashepherd

For some reason, it looks like PMing is disabled for my account.

What I meant is that pessimism in the media can lead to a sense of futility. For example, in America, Fox News acts like the country is literally going to hell any time there's a Democrat in office. Whether they're convincing or not, this naturally leads to some of the people who watch Fox feeling that way too. Sometimes I get the general sense that in India, the media from all sides portrays the country that way. Add in the general distrust of government (anti-incumbent bias?) and perception of corruption in general. I don't know if it's common or not, but a lot of the Indians that I meet in America seem to have attitudes that are apathetic or pessimistic towards their home country.

(I don't like this attitude, I HATE it. You're not supposed to love your country because it works properly, you're supposed to love your country because it's yours.)

(Unrelated - my roommate and good friend was slowly becoming apathetic. AAP got him interested again.)

I mentioned the media because...well, back to the example. For any given American president, a few of the major news organizations are going to attack him and a few of the major news organizations are going to defend him. From the limited amount I've seen, not many of the Indian news channels seem to 'play defense', and it probably isn't helping Indian attitudes towards their own country.

Arnab, of course, attacks everyone. He's a hound doggy. ;)

mikael

Country flag
The mig 23 MF , the interceptor version of mig23 was phased out in 2007.

Mig 23 BN s are also being phased out.

The MRCA is supposed to replace the mig 23.

Why did we start to phase out the mig 23 before the mig 21 ,considering that it is a later generation aircraft.......and especially considering that the mig 21 crashes regularly.
why did the indians get the mig-23MF in the first place ? they got it before the pakistan had F-16s
so was it done to counter the PAF Mirage III/5 ? but the mig-21MF/bis were sufficent deterrent against them

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
mig27 is a great strike platform esp in the 80s , but buying Jaguar with it was kind of overkill IMHO
The issue with Russian plane was reliability. If your platform crashes more than 2 to 3 times than normal than certainly they are not economical to operate. You do not have the option but to phase them out.

mikael

Country flag
The issue with Russian plane was reliability. If your platform crashes more than 2 to 3 times than normal than certainly they are not economical to operate. You do not have the option but to phase them out.
true
plus mig23mf was just an urgent IAF stopgap measure from 83 to 87 to meet the paf of vipers on near equal terms and despite all the propoganda in the 80s the basic viper A versions were poor air to air performers and mig23mf had a "first look first shoot" advantage over them

Global Defence

New threads

Articles