Why are Jews Hated and Attacked????

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
Conn. suspect's family hopes no one 'gets hurt'

Police Suspect Wesleyan Shooting Suspect targeting Jews!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090507/ap_on_re_us/us_wesleyan_shooting

MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – The brother of a man wanted in the bookstore shooting death of a Wesleyan student says he hopes authorities find him before anyone else gets hurt.

Greg Morgan tells The Associated Press that his family is "absolutely distraught" and hopes police find his brother, Stephen Morgan. He says the family wants to be sure "no one else gets hurt."

He says family members unsuccessfully tried to contact Stephen. He said he has no idea where his brother is.

Police said Morgan may now be targeting the school and Jews. Asked about that, Greg Morgan said "I don't think he was capable of anything."

Investigators believe that Stephen Morgan disguised himself with a wig and shot 21-year-old Johanna Justin-Jinich, a junior from Timnath, Colo., at a cafe inside a bookstore.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

MIDDLETOWN, Conn. (AP) — Police urged students at Wesleyan University to stay locked in their dorms, and city's only synagogue was shut down, as authorities said a man wanted in the bookstore shooting death of a Wesleyan student had threatened the woman years before, and may now be targeting the school and Jews.

Police urged university students and local Jewish leaders to be "extra vigilant" while they sought 29-year-old Stephen Morgan. Investigators believe that Morgan disguised himself with a wig and shot 21-year-old Johanna Justin-Jinich, a junior from Timnath, Colo., at her job at a cafe inside Broad Street Books, a popular bookstore.

Justin-Jinich was Jewish. Evidence "suggests that Mr. Morgan may be focused on the Wesleyan University campus as well as the Jewish community," Middletown Police Chief Lynn Baldoni Baldoni said at a news conference Thursday. "Investigators have been in contact with Wesleyan University and leaders of the Jewish community, urging both to be extra vigilant."

Local police would only say that the shooting was not a random act, but a New York City police report shows that Morgan allegedly threatened Justin-Jinich in 2007, when they were attending New York University.

Justin-Jinich filed a harassment complaint on July 10, 2007, claiming that he was calling her repeatedly and sent her insulting e-mails for at least a week.

"You're going to have a lot more problems down the road if you can't take any (expletive) criticism, Johanna," one of the e-mails said, according to the police report.

Morgan had apparently already left New York for Boston at the time the complaint was filed and was not arrested.

Police would not say why they believe Morgan may target the university or Jews.

Justin-Jinich's former stepmother, Karin Radcliffe, said the girl came from a Jewish family. "She was just a wonderful kid, very smart, very loving," Radcliffe said

Middletown's only synagogue, Congregation Adath Israel, is across the street from the bookstore. It was closed Thursday and congregants were considering canceling Sabbath services Friday night and Saturday.

Synagogue president Eliot Meadow said police didn't offer details about the threats.

"It was a no-brainer to close the building until we knew more information," he said. "We didn't know if he was planning something. We're hoping that they catch him before tomorrow night."

Wesleyan officials locked campus immediately after Wednesday's shooting.

A panel that investigated the April 16, 2007, massacre at Virginia Tech concluded that university officials erred by not acting more quickly to warn students because police prematurely concluded that the first two victims were shot as a result of a domestic dispute.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
I was reading through some news Items and these caught my attention. I have always thought about thi and I would like to start this thread to Discuss as to why Jews have always been at the Receiving end for most of History. Why were they Depicted as Oily, Dirty, Corrupt people in Novels, stories etc? Why were they stereotyped as to being Ruthless Moneylenders? Why are they still being attacked today?

ahmedsid

Top Gun
Belarus destroys synagogue of renowned rabbi

LUBAN, Belarus – The roof has been removed and the windows stripped of their frames and glass. Piece by piece, workers are tearing down the former synagogue where a renowned rabbi served before fleeing the Soviet Union for New York in 1936.

Moshe Feinstein, considered one of the most influential Orthodox rabbis in the United States until his death in 1986, was the last rabbi to serve at the synagogue in this once predominantly Jewish town.

After his departure, the synagogue in Luban was taken over by Young Pioneers for the training of future communists. Within five years, most of the Jews were gone too, as almost the entire Jewish population was rounded up and shot by the invading Nazis in World War II.

The synagogue's role in town history was only publicly recognized again in 1996, when a memorial plaque in English, Belarusian and Hebrew was put up on the building, which by then housed a medical clinic.

The local government now plans to build a supermarket at the site, which is on the main square of the town, located 85 miles (140 kilometers) south of Minsk, the capital.

The regional government says it has no obligation to save the synagogue, which is not included on a list of buildings considered to have historical or cultural value.

"The exterior of the building is not in line with that of a Jewish temple, so there is no point in restoring it," said the director of the town's museum, Natalya Sinyak.

Belarusian Jewish organizations have protested the destruction of synagogue, but the objections have been ignored.

"Instead of expressing pride in the prominent figures who were born on this land, their memory is being destroyed," said Yakov Basin, vice president of a national Jewish organization.

As the demolition began, the memorial plaque was moved to a nearby building, where it was attached with two crooked, rusty nails.

"The synagogue was the only reminder left of the Jews," said Arkady Gelfand, a 70-year-old teacher who is one of five Jews remaining in the town of 11,000.

No mention is made of Jews even at the Soviet-era memorial where 785 Jews were shot in November 1941 when the Luban Ghetto was liquidated. The victims are referred to only as "peaceful citizens."

Gelfand, whose parents and grandparents worshipped under Feinstein, remembers how he wept with happiness when the plaque was put up on the former synagogue in a ceremony attended by representatives of the Israeli Embassy.

"Even so we remain a persecuted people," said Gelfand.

The Belarusian government denies the existence of anti-Semitism, even as it allows the destruction of Jewish cemeteries and refuses to preserve monuments to the country's rich Jewish history.

Only about 25,000 Jews now live in Belarus, a country of 10 million people squeezed between Poland and Russia. Before the war, more than half of the urban population was Jewish, and Yiddish was a state language.

As many as three presidents and four prime ministers of Israel — including Menachem Begin, Yitzak Shamir, Golda Meir and Ariel Sharon — were born in Belarus.

The two-story wooden synagogue in Luban was built at the end of the 19th century and became the center of spiritual life for the town's Jews, who at the time comprised 95 percent of the population. Even in 1939, the population was still 60 percent Jewish.

Feinstein began his tenure as rabbi in 1920 when he was only 25. For years he resisted pressure from the Soviet government as he continued to promote and preserve Jewish customs in the newly atheistic state.

But in 1936, as dictator Josef Stalin tightened his grip, Feinstein was told to leave the country or face arrest. His brother, who stayed, was arrested and died the following year in a Siberian labor camp.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090424/ap_on_re_eu/eu_belarus_synagogue

ahmedsid

Top Gun
All these attacks stem out of the basic fact that Some people see others as inferior and Not worthy of living in this world. These are the people to be rooted out, be whichever Religion they belong to.They dont deserve to be a Part of Humanity!

Auberon

Is this a case of attack against Jews only? Are people belonging to other religions not attacked because of their religious identity? Are Jews exclusively targetted?

Which modern novels are Jews depicted as oily,dirty and corrupt in?

Was the synagouge destroyed because of bearocratic procedeure being unable to save it? Would there have been a similar outrage if a church had been destroyed instead of a synagouge? Is it a case of govt. apathy or Anti-Semitism?

What do you guys think?

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador
Well, I guess their own view is that they are the "chosen people" of God.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
Jews have been crucified many times over throughout history. Their Portrayal is not in todays novels, because today they are a Powerful Force, but I am talking about many classics which portrayed their villians as "Oily" Money lending jews! You all can search and find out the novels.

Auberon

Jews have been crucified many times over throughout history. Their Portrayal is not in todays novels, because today they are a Powerful Force, but I am talking about many classics which portrayed their villians as "Oily" Money lending jews! You all can search and find out the novels.
Any student of litt. is aware of classics such as The Merchant of Venice and Oliver Twist being anti-semitic in their description of Jews.

Throughout history, Jews have been discriminated against by radical Christians, which considered them to be a threat , and now they are being targetted by Moslems who still consider them one.

Jews have never been persecuted where they haven't been viewed as a threat or in inherently heterogenous societies, ex. in case being India, Lt. Gen. JFR Jacob, a senior commander of the Indian army, multiple time Governer and a vital link between Indian-Israeli intel & defence community is great example of what the tiny society of Jews have been able to achieve here!

Flint

Jews were denied social status or land, and they weren't allowed to be merchants, so they became bankers and accountants.
Obviously, everybody hates the moneylender because everyone owes him money, so when the economy went bad during the middle ages, people found it convenient to blame the "dirty jew" for their crisis. This solved two problems - it got rid of their debts, and it found them a scapegoat (obviously, the christ-killing jew who drank the blood of Christian babies was responsible for all the evil in the world)

Even today, when the banks collapsed a lot of people began to blame "the jews", due to their disproportionate representation in the banking industry.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
Any student of litt. is aware of classics such as The Merchant of Venice and Oliver Twist being anti-semitic in their description of Jews.

Throughout history, Jews have been discriminated against by radical Christians, which considered them to be a threat , and now they are being targetted by Moslems who still consider them one.

Jews have never been persecuted where they haven't been viewed as a threat or in inherently heterogenous societies, ex. in case being India, Lt. Gen. JFR Jacob, a senior commander of the Indian army, multiple time Governer and a vital link between Indian-Israeli intel & defence community is great example of what the tiny society of Jews have been able to achieve here!
Slight Correction, actually I wouldnt call Merchant of Venice Anti Semitic, I state it so as to bring out the views of the readers, but I feel that Shylock was being grumpy and hating others because of the mistreatment meted out to him and his community by the Christian Majority. Shakespeare was somehwhat sympathetice to the jews cause I feel, and not Anti Semitic as some believe.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
Jews were denied social status or land, and they weren't allowed to be merchants, so they became bankers and accountants.
Obviously, everybody hates the moneylender because everyone owes him money, so when the economy went bad during the middle ages, people found it convenient to blame the "dirty jew" for their crisis. This solved two problems - it got rid of their debts, and it found them a scapegoat (obviously, the christ-killing jew who drank the blood of Christian babies was responsible for all the evil in the world)

Even today, when the banks collapsed a lot of people began to blame "the jews", due to their disproportionate representation in the banking industry.
Yeah! The jews were accused of Drinking the bllood of babies on Certain days of the Weeks in Paris during the 1960 and 70s!!!!! LoL

Auberon

Slight Correction, actually I wouldnt call Merchant of Venice Anti Semitic, I state it so as to bring out the views of the readers, but I feel that Shylock was being grumpy and hating others because of the mistreatment meted out to him and his community by the Christian Majority. Shakespeare was somehwhat sympathetice to the jews cause I feel, and not Anti Semitic as some believe.
Ahmed, you are seeing things from a modern perspective.

In Shakespeare's times, the role of Shylock was played by a comedian, he wasn't the anti-hero but the evil clown so as to say. The view that Shylock was being mistreated by the Christian majority has only evolved by the late 18th century, in medieval era Shakespeare was creating a character that the audience could both hate and laugh at, and the Shylock being deprived of his wealth and being made Christian made the audience feel vindicated in those times, not sympathetic.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
Ahmed, you are seeing things from a modern perspective.

In Shakespeare's times, the role of Shylock was played by a comedian, he wasn't the anti-hero but the evil clown so as to say. The view that Shylock was being mistreated by the Christian majority has only evolved by the late 18th century, in medieval era Shakespeare was creating a character that the audience could both hate and laugh at, and the Shylock being deprived of his wealth and being made Christian made the audience feel vindicated in those times, not sympathetic.
I feel Shakespeare is timeless hence my modern Interpretation, but you are right, maybe they wanted to bring the jew down to size and curse them for all their own miseries and feel better!

A lot of recent happenings in Gaza etc had made the Jews seem like villians again. But Luckily this time, its not the jewish people being blamed but their Government.

Auberon

I feel Shakespeare is timeless hence my modern Interpretation, but you are right, maybe they wanted to bring the jew down to size and curse them for all their own miseries and feel better!
Shylock's being a usurer and his reference to Jacob, and the consequent reply by Antonio certainly hint towards Shylock being regarded as sinful. His asking for a pound of flesh and obsession for money is also an attempt to potray Jews as greedy and evil, which was the prevailing stereotype at that time, and Shakespeare capitalised on it. Besides it is hinted that Antonio was a friendly, respectable and virtuous man contrasting with Shylock who was a stereotypical Jew. Then in the court scene Portia says, Not so quick Jew, that surely seems like anti-semitic Portia is otherwise depicted as the paragon all things lovely in the play. The Duke also "forgives" Shylock's life to show him "Christian" mercy..all that makes me feel the play was just catering to just the popular sentiment and what the people were asking for. Then it also added an element of "Exotic villainy" as the people of Britain couldn't have met Jews around that time, Jews being banned in Britain.

Otherwise too the play does cater to popular sentiments, remember the famous Casket scene? The French and Scots are depicted as cowards and allies, the English as not speaking anything except English and being Uneuropeon, the Saxons as drunkards, Neapolitan is made fun of, Morocco dark and boastful, Arragon egoistic, all popular sentiments and somewhat stereotyped!

A lot of recent happenings in Gaza etc had made the Jews seem like villians again. But Luckily this time, its not the jewish people being blamed but their Government
To each his own, I see the other hypocritical countries of ME and HAMAS as much bigger villains.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
Again we Disagree, I also hate the Hamas, and I hate the killing of civilians in Rocket attacks, but I equally hate killing of Children and Women indiscriminately through incessant bombing and the enforcement of a blocade, which makes Gaza equal to a WW2 Concentration camp. Is the life of one Israeli More than all of the Gazans? No, Life is precious, regardless or age, gender or ethnicity.

I hate it when the poor people got to bear the brunt of the wrongdoings of some.

Let me state here openly, I am Prejudiced against Palestenians. I mean all the Palestenians I have come across are arrogant, and think they are the world. But Still I hate it when Women and Children bear the brunt of their arrogance!

Auberon

Again we Disagree, I also hate the Hamas, and I hate the killing of civilians in Rocket attacks, but I equally hate killing of Children and Women indiscriminately through incessant bombing and the enforcement of a blocade, which makes Gaza equal to a WW2 Concentration camp.
Are the people warned prior to bombing runs? Do the Gazans do the same? Barricade yes, but comparing Gaza to WW2 Conc. camp, seriously you are moving the goalposts here !!:O

Is the life of one Israeli More than all of the Gazans
One Israeli ?? All those years of all possible methods of killing as many innocent Israeli citizens as possible and you say ask is the life of one Israeli more important than all Gazans, man IDK what to say to this :|

dave lukins

Professional
Shakespeare in all probability had never actually met a Jew in his lifetime . The Jews of England were expelled on July 18, 1290, at the decree of Edward I and were only officially re-admitted by Oliver Cromwell in the year 1656, forty years after Shakespeare's death.

Auberon

Shakespeare in all probability had never actually met a Jew in his lifetime . The Jews of England were expelled on July 18, 1290, at the decree of Edward I and were only officially re-admitted by Oliver Cromwell in the year 1656, forty years after Shakespeare's death.
Thats what I said :D -
Then it also added an element of "Exotic villainy" as the people of Britain couldn't have met Jews around that time, Jews being banned in Britain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles