Why are Indian Cities so poorly planned ?

Cliff@sea

C'est la vie
Country flag
So, I was indulging in a favourite pastime of mine, browsing cities around the world on Google Earth and Wikimapia .

I just could not help observing that Indian cities seem to be one of the most poorly planned cities in the world.
While most of major cities of the world seem to be built to a ground plan, an Indian city in contrast, say Delhi, Mumbai, Lucknow etc at best look like a petri dish culture, almost as if no thought ever went in to town planning at all

Look at Delhi or Mumbai, arguably the most modern of all Indian cities from above and you will find that they look far more haphazardly planned then their counterparts in other third world countries not to mention far more overcrowded, Hell even Karachi or Addis Ababa look like properly planned cities in comparsion to Delhi or Mumbai, never mind cities in the western world, (they look heartbreakingly pretty)
Saddest bit is , this is something that cant be changed in a decade or perhaps even in a century, no matter how much of political will there is( of which there is none, anyway) .

Finally, when i look at Lucknow from above i cannot help feeling sorry for myself that i put up here. :(

Has anybody here thought the same and wondered why ?

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
So, I was indulging in a favourite pastime of mine, browsing cities around the world on Google Earth and Wikimapia .

I just could not help observing that Indian cities seem to be one of the most poorly planned cities in the world.
While most of major cities of the world seem to be built to a ground plan, an Indian city in contrast, say Delhi, Mumbai, Lucknow etc at best look like a petri dish culture, almost as if no thought ever went in to town planning at all

Look at Delhi or Mumbai, arguably the most modern of all Indian cities from above and you will find that they look far more haphazardly planned then their counterparts in other third world countries not to mention far more overcrowded, Hell even Karachi or Addis Ababa look like properly planned cities in comparsion to Delhi or Mumbai, never mind cities in the western world, (they look heartbreakingly pretty)
Saddest bit is , this is something that cant be changed in a decade or perhaps even in a century, no matter how much of political will there is( of which there is none, anyway) .

Finally, when i look at Lucknow from above i cannot help feeling sorry for myself that i put up here. :(

Has anybody here thought the same and wondered why ?
It's because Indian work culture is fucked up....we lack the attention to detail quality. We love jugaad. :lol:

lcafanboy

Country flag
ACTUALLY THE CITY AREAS WHICH WERE MADE BY BRITISHERS STILL ARE BEAUTIFUL. LOOK AT CUFFE PARADE, MALABAR HILLS, TILL WORLI AND SAME IN DELHI THE NEW DELHI AREA ALL WERE DEVELOPED BY BRITISHERS ARE VERY BEAUTIFUL.

THE CURSE BEGAN AFTER INDEPENDENCE WHEN AMBEDKAR MADE THE CONSTITUTION SUPPORTING RESERVATION. TODAY YOU GO TO ANY GOVERNMENT DEPARTMENT YOU WILL FIND THESE IDIOTS QUOTA WORKERS AND ENGINEERS WHO ARE THERE BECAUSE OF THIS STUPID RULES MADE BY AMBEDKAR WHICH ALLOWS A FAILED ENGINEER WHO IS NOT EVEN QUALIFIED TO PREPARE A BLUE PRINT OF NORMAL SQUARE SHAPED BUILDING TO BECOME TOWN PLANNING ENGINEER AND OFFICER. WHO PREPARES FAULTY PLANS WHICH IS FURTHER DESTROYED BY QUOTA WORKERS AND CORRUPT LOCAL POLITICIANS FURTHERING THEIR AGENDA BY PROMOTING SLUMS INHABITED BY THESE QUOTA PEOPLE TO PREPARE VOTE BANKS. THE RESULT IS HAPHAZARDLY BUILT TOWNS FILLED WITH SLUMS AND PILES OF GARBAGE LYING ON ROADS.

WHY THESE VERY POLITICIAN WHEN THEY MAKE THEIR OWN PROJECTS LIKE LAVASA DON'T HIRE THESE IDIOTS AND GO FOR PROFESSIONALS LIKE HAFEEZ CONTRACTOR AND OTHER RENOWNED ARCHITECTS.

INDIA WILL REMAIN LIKE THIS TILL THERE IS QUOTA AND QUOTA ENGINEERS ARE THERE IN GOVERNMENT DEPARTMENTS.

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
ACTUALLY THE CITY AREAS WHICH WERE MADE BY BRITISHERS STILL ARE BEAUTIFUL. LOOK AT CUFFE PARADE, MALABAR HILLS, TILL WORLI AND SAME IN DELHI THE NEW DELHI AREA ALL WERE DEVELOPED BY BRITISHERS ARE VERY BEAUTIFUL.

THE CURSE BEGAN AFTER INDEPENDENCE WHEN AMBEDKAR MADE THE CONSTITUTION SUPPORTING RESERVATION. TODAY YOU GO TO ANY GOVERNMENT DEPARTMENT YOU WILL FIND THESE IDIOTS QUOTA WORKERS AND ENGINEERS WHO ARE THERE BECAUSE OF THIS STUPID RULES MADE BY AMBEDKAR WHICH ALLOWS A FAILED ENGINEER WHO IS NOT EVEN QUALIFIED TO PREPARE A BLUE PRINT OF NORMAL SQUARE SHAPED BUILDING TO BECOME TOWN PLANNING ENGINEER AND OFFICER. WHO PREPARES FAULTY PLANS WHICH IS FURTHER DESTROYED BY QUOTA WORKERS AND CORRUPT LOCAL POLITICIANS FURTHERING THEIR AGENDA BY PROMOTING SLUMS INHABITED BY THESE QUOTA PEOPLE TO PREPARE VOTE BANKS. THE RESULT IS HAPHAZARDLY BUILT TOWNS FILLED WITH SLUMS AND PILES OF GARBAGE LYING ON ROADS.

WHY THESE VERY POLITICIAN WHEN THEY MAKE THEIR OWN PROJECTS LIKE LAVASA DON'T HIRE THESE IDIOTS AND GO FOR PROFESSIONALS LIKE HAFEEZ CONTRACTOR AND OTHER RENOWNED ARCHITECTS.

INDIA WILL REMAIN LIKE THIS TILL THERE IS QUOTA AND QUOTA ENGINEERS ARE THERE IN GOVERNMENT DEPARTMENTS.
caps lock died a million deaths bro................
30 fracking characters :doh:

gslv

Country flag
caps lock died a million deaths bro................
30 fracking characters :doh:
BTW what he is saying is very much the truth. There was a ST guy in my medical college who never remembered more than 10 drugs , he got radiodiagnosis at a rank of 23 thousand which a general category student fails to get at a rank less than 300 . bye bye to the health of people who gets treated by him.

aliyah

indian cities have highest density of ppls/sq km in world........and which going to double in next 30yrs.....now try to calculate wat should we do n how much will it cost.
e.g u double population of Mumbai n imagine how much busses it will need how much metro's etc etc and now where is the place to build roads.....we r not china to throw thousands of ppls out of their coz we wana build road .
so blaming someone is the easiest job in world.and if u think u have some outa box solutions then give it to the government @mygov.in

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
BTW what he is saying is very much the truth. There was a ST guy in my medical college who never remembered more than 10 drugs , he got radiodiagnosis at a rank of 23 thousand which a general category student fails to get at a rank less than 300 . bye bye to the health of people who gets treated by him.
I agree ..... I have been educated at an IIT and can vouch for low caliber of reserve category students.

HeinzGud

Country flag

Actually there is a point in mentioning the so called low caste people. It's not that they are inferior to other people but the way they are brought up. The best thing is not giving them reservation but to change their way of life. I know it's easier said than done.

HeinzGud

Country flag
I dunno about India but in Sri Lanka oppressed get to be the oppressors.

acetophenol

Country flag
We never got the time to plan the cities bro,we are still a young country,and we are gradually learning,take Navi Mumbai for an example, a superb planned city that featured as a Megacity in Nat Geo.

angeldude13

Lestat De Lioncourt
Country flag
Actually there is a point in mentioning the so called low caste people. It's not that they are inferior to other people but the way they are brought up. The best thing is not giving them reservation but to change their way of life. I know it's easier said than done.
Giving away free jobs to st/sc or any other community is the worst thing ever happened to India.
Quota should be only given for studies and nothing else. Government institution should always be run by the high end competitive people.
There was this debate on st/sc selection of teachers in school in which a guy raised a very good point. He said by giving teaching jobs to incompetitive st/sc's government is robbing kids of their right of education.

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
In himalyan states they are building houses with flat roof. The common sense has been lost.

Just to rise one more floor they are destroying the beauty. There are many ways to construct one more floor, but why flat roof? Nonsense!

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Cities built by Brits should not be taken as benchmark as far as india us concerned. We have to remember that their top priority was revenue generation not public welfare. They developed cities which were of strategic, economic and political importance only. Rest of the country was mostly left to fend for itself and made to pay taxes for nothing in return.

The mandate for governments post independence is that the same money had to be spread out all over the country. When you have to work with meagre resources the result will never be about aesthetics.

All is not lost, we are still a very young country. As the economy develops, results will come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

warriorextreme

Country flag
Planned?? Indian cities are not planned at all except few like chandigarh, Navi Mumbai, gandhi nagar etc..

Indians(Modern & not indus valley indians) have been known for short term planning which does not take into account impact analysis, scalability, capacity management & other things, this applies to everything.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
Chandigarh the only planned city looks pretty bad. You are confusing planning with cleanliness.

Most European cities have narrow one way streets and would look super ugly if kept the India way. It is not the planning but filth and other social amenities that make the cities bad.

Blackwater

Chandigarh the only planned city looks pretty bad. You are confusing planning with cleanliness.

Most European cities have narrow one way streets and would look super ugly if kept the India way. It is not the planning but filth and other social amenities that make the cities bad.

Iam from Chandigarh let me tel u the history . Chandigarh was made for 5 lakh population (now 20 lakh) . In 60 ties and 70 ties no body wants to settle in chd despite it was clean and planned . Govt was giving soft loan to people to buy houses. Things changed after 84 riots when sikhs turned to Chandigarh from delhi and U.P to settle down. Then NRI invest hugely in chd and due to demand mohali and panchkula become satellite town.

In mid 90 ties it started crowded. Then being capital of both punjab and haryana all IAS, IPS and MLAs started investing in chd. Buying adjoining land turning them into farm houses and other development. its there it lost its planing.

After 2000 paindu farmers in punjab sold their land and settle down in chd and mohali

due to opportunities bhaiya from UP, bihar and orrisa also came and set up slums

hun da bera garh go gaya chd da.

Now kakes rule chandigarh

Last edited:

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
Iam from Chandigarh let me tel u the history . Chandigarh was made for 5 lakh population . In 60 ties and 70 ties no body wants to settle in chd despite it was clean and planned . Govt was giving soft loan to people to buy houses
All I wanted to say was that too much planned cities look ugly.

pmaitra

Chandigarh, Bhubaneswar, Gandhinagar, are all planned cities. There are many more extensions of cities that are planned. Many city districts built by the British are also planned.

India is a very old civilization, so some cities will remain the way they are.

If we want planned cities, we have build new ones. Expecting the existing ones to turn into planned cities is being too optimistic.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles