Who's the under-achiever now? Outlook gives Obama the title

Blackwater

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

New Delhi: After some serious bashing by international media over the slow pace of reform, the Prime Minister found two white knights today. First, Ratan Tata tweeted that "Attacks on the architect of 1991 reforms which brought us prosperity is sad and unfortunate. It's wrong to single out the PM for inflation, low investment confidence and slow growth."

Then came the news that Outlook magazine's next edition, which hits the stands soon, has a cover story that brands President Obama "The Underachiever." That was the title bestowed on Dr Manmohan Singh two weeks ago by Time Magazine in its Asia edition. (Outlook India's website)

The Outlook cover says, "America needed a reboot. He promised hope and change... can his lofty rhetoric carry him home again?" Time's cover on Dr Singh had asked, "India needs a reboot. Is Prime Minister Manmohan Singh upto the job?"

Also Read
Time magazine is late to the party, say BJP and Nitish about PM critique
On Monday, the Independent, a UK newspaper, ran a piece on Dr Singh that started out with a headline that asked if he was "saviour or Sonia's poodle." After tweaking its headline on its website a few times, the piece finally settled on the considerably milder "India's Saviour Or Just the 'Under-Achiever'?"

:taunt::taunt:

Who's the under-achiever now? Outlook gives Obama the title | NDTV.com

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Outlook has consistently surprised me, they are ballsy. I had fallen prey to the online rhetoric against it but I am happy to stand corrected.

Predator

vinod mehta proved again why he is called congress ka chamcha

Instead of attacking obama he should have honestly assessed manmohan's performance or rather non-performance

Questioning obama's record wont solve india's economic woes, outlook and vinod mehta should have know that

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
vinod mehta proved again why he is called congress ka chamcha

Instead of attacking obama he should have honestly assessed manmohan's performance or rather non-performance

Questioning obama's record wont solve india's economic woes, outlook and vinod mehta should have know that
Mehta has retired as e-i-c of Outlook. And if they are C ka C explain Radia tapes expose ?

Lets take each story at its face value. Lets not turn into Pakistanis, who call each other names and see conspiracies everywhere.

And Outlook has written plenty about the current domestic situation. They obviously felt that they need to write about Obama, so they have. And I welcome it.

Predator

@Singh, vinod has officially retired but still he is the man to goto when major news stories are broken. sonia trusts only him to keep outlook editorial policy in line. after a short cooling off period congress intends to get him elected to rajya sabha.

regarding nira radia tapes it helped sonia immensely to cut down DMK to size, who were demanding more and more portfolios in the cabinet and were pressuring centre to change foreign policy regarding srilanka. see where they are today, as silent as a bheegi billi.

sob

Mod
Country flag
Lines criticizing PM Manmohan Singh found in Outlook’s “The Underachiever” cover story on Obama | The UnReal Times

Outlook seems to have shot itself in the foot, after a number of lines and phrases from the TIME story were found in its article in what seems like a cut-copy-paste job gone horribly wrong.

"It is high time the Indian Prime Minister Barack Obama pulls up his socks and puts an end to the growing woes of inflation, corruption and unemployment that threaten to derail the Indian economy" was the first of the gaffes. Another one read, "In stark contrast, US President Dr. Manmohan Singh has successfully pushed through ambitious legislation to increase the affordability and accessibility of health-care in the the United States of India." Yet another one read, "As an American citizen, one really wishes that Barack Obama stops being a puppet in the hands of Congress president Michelle Obama and pulls America back from the brink."

The discovery has left TIME magazine's managing editor Richard Stengel perplexed. "Dude, do I sue these guys for plagiarism or do I consider it as banter and let it go? I've no clue what I'm gonna do about this, except for laughing my ass off I guess!" he guffawed.

Back in India, CNN-IBN founder Rajdeep Sardesai tweeted "Ouch! How embarrassing! The authors must've either written this one while having Old Monk or while talking to Sagarika. I've been there!"

Outlook editor Krishna Prasad has played down the errors. "Look, the article was not meant to be taken seriously in the first place. More like a tongue in cheek piece. Not like Americans are gonna read it anyway. But yeah, in hindsight, should have hired college students or software engineers to do this copy-paste work," Mr Prasad disclosed to The Unreal Times.

ejazr

Ambassador
Country flag
India's Outlook dubs Obama 'underachiever' after Time cover

BBC News - India's Outlook dubs Obama 'underachiever' after Time cover

An Indian magazine has dubbed US President Barack Obama "the underachiever" on its latest cover, two weeks after US-based Time magazine did the same to India's prime minister.

Time magazine's cover labelling Manmohan Singh as "the underachiever" prompted heated debate in India.

Using Time's words on Mr Singh, Outlook reads: "America needed a reboot".

Outlook's editor denied the cover was a "tit-for-tat" response to Time or an expression of support for Mr Singh.

But the words on the cover of the magazine reads: "He promised hope and change. Four years on, President Barack Obama's sheen is gone. Can his lofty rhetoric carry him home again?"

Time on its cover had asked a similar question: "India needs a reboot. Is Prime Minister Manmohan Singh up to the job?"

India's government has recently come under heavy criticism for what many are calling "policy paralysis".

'Focus on Obama'
Outlook's editor told the BBC that they had been "planning an Obama cover for a long time" and that it was "not tit-for-tat" journalism.

"Our focus is not Time magazine. Our focus is Mr Obama.

"We are trying to do the American election in a slightly different way. We are trying to take a long, hard look at Obama and his performance in the last four years," Krishna Prasad says.

Mr Prasad said their story was about "Mr Obama's performance vis-a-vis India, the world and within America".

"Frankly, if you view him with an Indian eye, or a non-American eye, you will understand that just as Manmohan Singh comes across as an underachiever, Barack Obama, for all his hype and expectation, he too come across as an underachiever, whether you like it or not."

Mr Prasad rejected criticism that Outlook was trying to defend the government.

"We are not saying that Time was wrong in calling Manmohan Singh an underachiever. I do think he is an underachiever, but I think you can make the same charge about Obama.

"Some day later, we may say something about David Cameron. We look at the world in a very dispassionate way, like the BBC," Mr Prasad said.

KS

Bye bye DFI
Re: India's Outlook dubs Obama 'underachiever' after Time cover

hehehe Vinod Mehta just went a bit overboard in his enthusiasm...

ashdoc

Country flag

vinod mehta is nothing but a kadcha ( big spoon ) of congress---expected from him.....

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag

How big a sycophant following the Congress has. Granted Obama is to a large extent an underachiever. But portraying it in a way similar to Time is just tasteless and lacks originality, not to mention a definite boot lick to Congress party.

pmaitra

How big a sycophant following the Congress has. Granted Obama is to a large extent an underachiever. But portraying it in a way similar to Time is just tasteless and lacks originality, not to mention a definite boot lick to Congress party.
Whether it is tasteless or not is subjective. On the other hand, it was a quid pro quo edition, so of course, by nature it cannot be original.

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
On the other hand, it was a quid pro quo edition, so of course, by nature it cannot be original.
Perhaps. But, Outlook says otherwise. Here you go.
'Focus on Obama'
Outlook's editor told the BBC that they had been
"planning an Obama cover for a long time" and
that it was "not tit-for-tat" journalism.
"Our focus is not Time magazine. Our focus is
Mr Obama.
Ingenuous indeed.

pmaitra

Perhaps. But, Outlook says otherwise. Here you go.

Ingenuous indeed.

Ummm, I would have to (partially) disagree here. See, people have been discussing Obama's poor performance for quite a long time. This one is from May: Now Obama's Poor Economic Performance Makes Sense | The Strident Conservative

Perhaps this is a coincidence? Perhaps deliberate?

It is true though that Obama has not been able to do many of the things he promised when he was campaigning for Presidency against McCain.

Edit: Thanks for the correction though. Now I know Outlook has denied it was a quid pro quo.

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
Ummm, I would have to (partially) disagree here. See, people have been discussing Obama's poor performance for quite a long time. This one is from May: Now Obama's Poor Economic Performance Makes Sense | The Strident Conservative

Perhaps this is a coincidence? Perhaps deliberate?

It is true though that Obama has not been able to do many of the things he promised when he was campaigning for Presidency against McCain.

Edit: Thanks for the correction though. Now I know Outlook has denied it was a quid pro quo.
True. I concede my defeat. This guy promised too much and delivered too little.

mayfair

I have no love lost for either MMS or Obama..so am happy to sit back and enjoy the catfight.

I do wonder why no media organisation- foreign on domestic has done any report on Sonia's kingdom.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles