Which Laptop to Buy?

kseeker

Retired
Windows 8.1 is amazingly fast and gives a smooth experience compared to Windows 7.
Boot time is like ~20 sec even on a very slow 5200rpm SATA and (i have heard) is about ~8sec for a SSD. I think the most important thing for a portable PC is the battery life and Windows 8 trumps Windows 7 by a huge margin in this category because of better management of resources. I get around 9-10h with a 6-cell battery.
I second this!

I have been using Windows 8.1 since day one (when GA version was released). It' pretty fast and has no glitches.

pmaitra

Thanks, @aerokan, @Singh, @Apollyon, and @kseeker.

Ok, so I think SSD is a highly desirable piece of hardware. I need to look into it.

I am debating whether to get a dual SATA (one will be the shadow of the other), or a single SSD. What do you guys suggest?

@Singh, is your 1TB HDD SATA or SSD?

Last edited by a moderator:

kseeker

Retired
Ok, so I think SSD is a highly desirable piece of hardware. I need to look into it.

I am debating whether to get a dual SATA (one will be the shadow of the other), or a single SSD. What do you guys suggest?
I would prefer SSD anytime in place of SATA disks. SSDs are much faster than the conventional disks.

I don't own a SSD for personal use however, I have installed OS on SSDs in my office network. Some of our High End Servers are running on SSDs and we have given SSD powered laptops to few VPs.

SSDs require bit of a tweaking initially on Windows 8.1, once you are through, it works like a charm.

Please have a look at following articles which talks about SSD tweaking

Windows 8.1 SSD Settings, Etc. » TweakHound

Why Windows 8 and 8.1 defragment your SSD and how you can avoid this – Вадим Стеркин

SSD Optimization for Windows 8 and 8.1 | Back2Gaming

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
Thanks, @aerokan, @Singh, @Apollyon, and @kseeker.

@Singh, is your 1TB HDD SATA or SSD?
Get a SSD plus a regular 7200rpm HDD. Install the OS on the SSD and keep your movies etc on the HDD

hitesh

Solid State Drives are damn costly but there R/W speed and shock resistant ,size ,weight make them best option if cost is not a concern .

I am using compaq Cq43 this was the best deal i could get 4 years ago for 22K ,still running good but some times its 2gb ram shows its limit .I 'll recommend it to any one who would not be using this laptop for ->not playing any decent game . some times it hangs up when i open Dreamweaver & Photoshop cs6 the same time.

pmaitra

Get a SSD plus a regular 7200rpm HDD. Install the OS on the SSD and keep your movies etc on the HDD
I am looking to get a laptop. Let me see if I can get one with one SATA and one SSD. I am looking at Sager.

pmaitra

Ok, so here is what I could come up with, and I need you all to critique it:

Sager New Custom Laptop:

Display17.3" Full HD LED-Backlit Display with Matte Finished Surface (1920 x 1080)
Video & Graphics CardDual AMD Radeon R9 M290X Graphics with 4GB GDDR5 Video Memory in CrossFire mode [$350.00]
CPU Processor4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ Processor ( 6MB L3 Cache, 2.40GHz)
Thermal CompoundIC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU [$35.00]
Operating SystemGenuine MS Windows® 8.1 64-Bit Edition
Memory8GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 1 X 8GB
mSATA SSD RAID Storage OptionsNon-RAID Storage
mSATA SSD Drive Slot 1250GB Samsung 840 EVO Series mSATA3 SSD - as an OS Drive (Primary Drive C) [$225.00]
Hard Drive & SSD Drive RAID Storage OptionsNon-RAID Storage
Hard Disk Drive 1750GB 7200rpm SATA2 Hard Drive
Optical Drive Bay — Optical Drive or Hard Disk Drive in Optical Drive Bay with Caddy case8X DVD±R/RW/4X +DL Super-Multi Drive & Software
Wireless Network CardInternal 802.11 B+G+N Wireless LAN + Bluetooth Combo Module
Primary BatterySmart Li-ION Battery Pack
Integrated Security DeviceFingerprint Reader
Microsoft OfficeMicrosoft Home & Student Office 2013 ( Includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote. ) [$145.00]
WarrantySager 1 Year Limited Parts and Labor Warranty

Thanks!
@Singh, @LurkerBaba, @Virendra, @Known_Unknown, @kseeker, @hitesh, @Apollyon, @bose, @aerokan, @Bhadra

bose

Country flag
Ok, so here is what I could come up with, and I need you all to critique it:

Sager New Custom Laptop:

Display17.3" Full HD LED-Backlit Display with Matte Finished Surface (1920 x 1080)
Video & Graphics CardDual AMD Radeon R9 M290X Graphics with 4GB GDDR5 Video Memory in CrossFire mode [$350.00]
CPU Processor4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ Processor ( 6MB L3 Cache, 2.40GHz)
Thermal CompoundIC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU [$35.00]
Memory8GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 1 X 8GB
mSATA SSD RAID Storage OptionsNon-RAID Storage
mSATA SSD Drive Slot 1250GB Samsung 840 EVO Series mSATA3 SSD - as an OS Drive (Primary Drive C) [$225.00]
Hard Drive & SSD Drive RAID Storage OptionsNon-RAID Storage
Hard Disk Drive 1750GB 7200rpm SATA2 Hard Drive
Optical Drive Bay — Optical Drive or Hard Disk Drive in Optical Drive Bay with Caddy case8X DVD±R/RW/4X +DL Super-Multi Drive & Software
Wireless Network CardInternal 802.11 B+G+N Wireless LAN + Bluetooth Combo Module
Microsoft OfficeMicrosoft Home & Student Office 2013 ( Includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote. ) [$145.00]

Thanks!
@Singh, @LurkerBaba, @Virendra, @Known_Unknown, @kseeker, @hitesh, @Apollyon, @bose, @aerokan, @Bhadra
Very good configuration... If you are using for high end graphics applications or gaming purpose... I would recommend a QHD+(3200x1800) display with 6-cell (91Wh) battery option...

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
@pmaitra What do you need it for? High end gaming at HD resolutions? Thin and light for long battery life? Or for generic multimedia use?

In either case, I'd recommend not going with Sager/Alienware etc. Go with Asus or Toshiba. Both are extremely reliable and use quality components plus have worldwide distribution and repair centres should you ever need them. Their warranty policies are also top notch. I personally own a Toshiba, which has been going strong even after 6 years! Give Acer/Gateway/Lenovo/HP/Dell a pass. They're mass market manufacturers with shit quality and a lot of QA issues. Sager/Alienware are too niche and don't have a wide global presence, in addition, they're too expensive as well.

EDIT: You haven't posted the cost of the Sager, but is it in this price range:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231631

http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/toshiba-qosmio-x75-a7298.aspx

pmaitra

@pmaitra What do you need it for? High end gaming at HD resolutions? Thin and light for long battery life? Or for generic multimedia use?

In either case, I'd recommend not going with Sager/Alienware etc. Go with Asus or Toshiba. Both are extremely reliable and use quality components plus have worldwide distribution and repair centres should you ever need them. Their warranty policies are also top notch. I personally own a Toshiba, which has been going strong even after 6 years! Give Acer/Gateway/Lenovo/HP/Dell a pass. They're mass market manufacturers with shit quality and a lot of QA issues. Sager/Alienware are too niche and don't have a wide global presence, in addition, they're too expensive as well.

EDIT: You haven't posted the cost of the Sager, but is it in this price range:

Newegg.com - ASUS G750 Series G750JS-DS71 Gaming Notebook Intel Core i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz) 16GB Memory 1TB HDD 256GB SSD NVIDIA GeForce GTX 870M 17.3" Windows 8.1 64-Bit

Toshiba Qosmio X75 Review | Laptop Reviews
My configuration costs around $2,600.

I am using a Sager since the last 5 years, and it is running great. I had an overheating problem. I only had to open it once and use compressed air to clean out the dust that had accumulated, and that overheating problem is gone. I agree though, I think I need to scale down the goodies i have included in my configuration. Let me think about it. I will not be buying it anytime in the next two months, for sure.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
Buy ASUS F550L, I bought it couple of moths ago, It has massive battery life and totally silent. The processor is i.7 4500, 1.8 to 2.4 GHz (which on lower side) with 4 GB RAM (can not increase) and dedicated Nividia Geforce GT 720 MB graphic card. Now it is selling for 1250 NZD / 64800 Rupees. Three years extended warranty included. OS is windows 8.1, which is not that bad though a bit a irritating learning curve.

SPIEZ

Country flag
I use W8.1, It's good probably better than W7.

But I still prefer the old W7 like interface.

pmaitra

This is the Laptop (Sager NP9377-S) I bought a few months back:
Zero Dead Pixel InsuranceGuaranteed no dead or partially-lit pixels for first 30 days of purchasing---Special Promotion Offer!
Video & Graphics CardDual Nvidia GeForce GTX 870M GPU with 6GB GDDR5 Video Memory in SLI Mode [$50.00]
CPU Processor4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4810MQ Processor ( 6MB L3 Cache, 2.80GHz)---Special Upgrade Promotion Offer!
Thermal CompoundIC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU---Special Promotion Offer!
Memory16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 2 X 8GB--Special Promotion Offer!
mSATA SSD RAID Storage Options-Non-RAID Storage
mSATA SSD Drive Slot 1120GB Crucial M5 Series mSATA3 SSD - as an OS Drive (Primary Drive C)---Special Promotion Offer!
Hard Drive & SSD Drive RAID Storage Options-Non-RAID Storage
Hard Disk Drive 11TB 7200rpm SATA2 Hard Drive
Optical Drive Bay — Optical Drive or Hard Disk Drive in Optical Drive Bay with Caddy case6X-Blu-ray-Reader/8X DVD±R/2.4X +DL Super-Multi Drive & Software---Special Promotion Offer!
Wireless Network CardIntel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 AC Wireless LAN + Bluetooth Module---Special Promotion Offer!
Microsoft OfficeMicrosoft Home & Student Office 2013-( Includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote. )-[$145.00]

@Singh, I wanted to tell you earlier, but I forgot.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles