Which Graduation helps in Civil Services (UPSC), SSC Exams ?

Lions Of Punjab

Country flag
My sister will clear her 12th this year . She wants to pursue her graduation in course which include History , Geography , Economics , Politics etc. as a subject . Or atleast most of those . I'm from engg. background and do not have much knowledge in this . So can anybody tell me which course would be better for her (Like BA with Political science or BA with Social science) ?

pmaitra

Nobody has answered this thread.

Ok, so here I will state a few things that must be verified from those that have recently taken Civil Services exams.

There are certain papers, such as Pali and Prakrit, that have few students in the area, and thus fewer competitors, and thus, easy to score marks in.

Other than that, knowledge of a foreign language, especially a language that India's foreign policy favours, would help.

Political science is good. Economics is also good. Social science, I guess is good, but you need to ask around.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Topper's tips to suffix 'IAS' to one's name

Dr.Shankar, working as an assistant professor in a private medical college in Chennai, suggested a few simple ways to crack the national-level competitive examination.

"The IAS exam is not like a course and everything depends on interest, determination and preparation. So, doing right things in a right way at the right time holds the key to success," he says. The 29-year-old topper chose geography and political science as his optional subjects.

An analysis of Civil Services success trends in the recent years indicate that humanities are popular subjects as close to 50 per cent of the toppers have chosen public administration, management, accountancy, economics, commerce, political science, international relations and geography.

"If you ask me when one has to start preparation, I will say today is the day. Twelfth standard pass-out stage is a very good age," he says.

Giving a "recipe for success", he said IAS aspirants must develop national consciousness, civic awareness, soft skills, read newspapers and magazines, besides being thorough with NCERT textbooks of Standard VI to XII.
Topper's tips to suffix 'IAS' to one's name - The Hindu
Maybe this may help.

warrior monk

Tell your sister graduation subjects don't matter in Civil services I have seen people with BA appearing as well as people with Phd from IITs also appearing only thing is she must be a graduate thats it. Tell her to join www.forumias.com a forum for civil services aspirants just like this forum for Indian defence and post her queries there. I hope that helps

warrior monk

My sister will clear her 12th this year . She wants to pursue her graduation in course which include History , Geography , Economics , Politics etc. as a subject . Or atleast most of those . I'm from engg. background and do not have much knowledge in this . So can anybody tell me which course would be better for her (Like BA with Political science or BA with Social science) ?
If you have any more queries about civil services you can ask me....

anupamsurey

Country flag
civil service examinations (CSE) conducted by upsc have two phases- 1. prelim (CSAT 1 and CSAT @)- it tests the aptitude of the candidate. along with the comprehension and general knowledge of the candidate. the basic requirement to clear it is to have understanding and knowledge of class 10 maths, 10+2 science, geography,history, polity, economics and science (usually NCERT approved). along with English comprehension and current affairs. the Mains have subjective type questions with exams labeled as General science (GS)1 to 4. along with an optional subject.

practically anyone from any field can write CSE, as the exams are of general nature and not dwell to much on specialization. but the people doing Arts, commerce and science field have more advantage than say BE or medicos.

Shadow

Country flag
One of my distant cousin who works in Indian Navy,aged 30 wants to now appear for civil service,but does law allow an armed forces personnel to join the civil service?

anoop_mig25

Country flag
One of my distant cousin who works in Indian Navy,aged 30 wants to now appear for civil service,but does law allow an armed forces personnel to join the civil service?
yes but i think only short service comission are allwoed that to after completing job duration.plz check rules and regulation on upsc website

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles