What is your best cold war era battle rifle?

Which battle rifle would ou rather prefer?

• Total voters

ITBP

What is your best cold war era battle rifle?

Heckler & Koch G3 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

G 3 is a German Battle rifle, Belgium still battered by WW2 memory refused Germany to give FN FAL technology, so Germany decided to build their own.

FN FAL - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A Belgian legendary battle rifle, semi-automatic, saw wide spread service, it's British variant SLR too saw much service.

M14 rifle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

M 14 is an American Battle rifle, it replaced M 1 Gerand gradually. Unlike other two rifle it did not see wide service.

Which is better and why?
@Damian, @methos, @Ray, @Kunal Biswas, @pmaitra, @abhi_the_gr8_maratha, @militarysta, @Akim.

Last edited by a moderator:

pmaitra

Why only these three?

If I had to choose between these three, FN-FAL (the one without the full auto option) is my choice.

ITBP

Why only these three?

If I had to choose between these three, FN-FAL (the one without the full auto option) is my choice.
Well, I chose three because these 3 saw most wide spread use.

pmaitra

The term "battle rifle" itself is rather confusing and ambiguous, but I get it - you are following Wikipedia.

Fair enough.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I have not used any of them and so it would not be fair to comment.

I have used .303, Ichapore, NATO L1A1, INSAS, AK 47.

I found .303 heavy (compared to the Ichapore) but very steady for aiming and effectiveness.

Ichapore and l1A1 were good But aiming through the round aperture a bit iffy.

INSAS was good and it was light. Effective.

AK 47 ws excellent and it required minimum maintenance.

'Battle', 'Assault' are terminology more for marketing the product. Sound impressive and that is about all. Of course, some spin will be given, but then it will be what it is, spin.

I wonder which military rifle is not used for Battle or for Assault.

Last edited:

Damian

The problem in terminology in the west, or in that particular example english terminology is, that they tried to describe function of weapon by it's intended use, while it seems that it would be more appropriate to describe it by caliber and how it functions.

In my country we had similiar problem, thus WAT (Military Technical Academy) created a new terminology.

And so weapon firing rifle rounds, like for example modern FN SCAR-H Mk17 is described as karabin automatyczny - automatic rifle, because it's fires rifle round and how it works.

While weapons for intermediate rounds like M16 or AK are described as karabinek automatyczny or automatic carbine, again because of the used ammunition and how it works.

It is actually very simple system and can be used for variety of weapons, for example heavy machine guns like M2 or NSV are described as wielkokalibrowy karabin maszynowy or large caliber machine gun, and so on.

As for AK, it is automatic carbine in fact, because it fires intermediate 7,62x39 mm cartidge and not full rifle 7,62x54R mm cartrigde.

So AK can't be classified as battle rifle or automatic rifle, but as assault rifle or automatic carbine.

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
AK-47(If it is a cold war rifle)

methos

Country flag
Battle rifle is an academic term not used by actual military.

The G3 was considered to be an assault rifle by the Germans, same with the FAL by the Belgians.

Also the descriptions are wrong. The Belgians did not refuse to give the Germans technology from the FAL.
The FAL was used for a very brief period of time by the (then newly founded) West-German army and by the West-German border police under the designation G1. Fabrique Nationale Herstal refused the possibility of licence-manufacturing the FAL in West-Germany, because the rifle would then be made by one of their major competitors, Heckler & Koch.

The G3 is influenced (or based on) the CETME rifle. Both the FAL and CETME rifle are based or influenced by earlier German WW2 rifles (one of the lead designers of the CETME rifle was one of the original designers of the StGw 45).

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
Why is the option for AK 47 not there in the poll? I will vote for AK-47.

mikhail

Country flag
I have not used any of them and so it would not be fair to comment.

I have used .303, Ichapore, NATO L1A1, INSAS, AK 47.

I found .303 heavy (compared to the Ichapore) but very steady for aiming and effectiveness.

Ichapore and l1A1 were good But aiming through the round aperture a bit iffy.

INSAS was good and it was light. Effective.

AK 47 ws excellent and it required minimum maintenance.

'Battle', 'Assault' are terminology more for marketing the product. Sound impressive and that is about all. Of course, some spin will be given, but then it will be what it is, spin.

I wonder which military rifle is not used for Battle or for Assault.
Sir,with due respect isn't the L1AI rifle a derivative of the FN-FAL:confused:?Plus the 7.62mm 1A1 rifle used by us was basically the reverse engineered version of the British one,so i guess that makes it a derivative too but i am not quite sure about that:notsure:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Sir,with due respect isn't the L1AI rifle a derivative of the FN-FAL:confused:?Plus the 7.62mm 1A1 rifle used by us was basically the reverse engineered version of the British one,so i guess that makes it a derivative too but i am not quite sure about that:notsure:
Yes it is.

Even so, I used the oirginal too.

mikhail

Country flag
Yes it is.

Even so, I used the oirginal too.
Sir,is there any substantial difference between the original one and the Indian version apart from the automatic part??

Srinivas_K

Country flag
AK 47

and also

Mosin Nagant .... The favorite rifle of Vasily Zaytsev!

Last edited:

methos

Country flag
The AK-47 and similar weapons are not in the poll, because the starter of this topic asked about battle rifles.

There are some people - who mostly are not from the military of a country, but often journalists - who distinguish between a "battle rifle" and an assault rifle. A battle rifle uses a full chambered, full size round like the 7.62 x 51 mm NATO and typically has smaller magazines (20 rounds in case of the FAL and G3). An assault rifle used (at the time the battle rifles were introduced) only half-sized bulltets like the 7.92 x 33 mm Kurzpatrone of the Sturmgewehr 44 and Sturmgewehr 45 or the 7.62 x 39 mm catridge of the AK-47.

Other people - like the militaries of countries who use(d) battle rifles - including the Austrian, Belgian and the West-German army - do and did not distinguish between a battle rifle and an assault rifle.

pmaitra

Sir,is there any substantial difference between the original one and the Indian version apart from the automatic part??
The original was available as both automatic and without. That is not really difference.

I have heard that the Indian clones had some uniquely made parts, but by and large, it was the same as the original one.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Not that I can remember there was any.

To be frank, when I used any weapon, it seems to be like an automatic reflex action without really paying much attention to the technical issues.

debasree

Country flag
ak is thwe beat still is beat largest useing assualt rifles in d world

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles