What is best calibre for an Assault Rifle?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
this is lack of understanding the basics...A man carrying 84 mm RK is supposed to concentrate on that..Similarily, a 2 " mortar crew...

They are supposed to defend theself " personaly" when an enemy is within 50 yards. That is why their personal weapon is invariably a pistol...

Same is the case for an officer who is supposed to direct the battle rather than fire. That is why he carries a pistol ..

but when the battle is within 50m.. then there is no choice..

50m concept is not practical any longer when the same can kill you from 150m..

Now days Officers carry Rifles with Pistols and No solider carry pistol or carbine but Rifle..

----------------------

Carbine are going back..

Secondary weapon generally is a pistol..or a carbine.....

weight of a soldier is one of the important consideration or he will throw away one of the weights...
I never saw secondary as pistol in solider hand ?

Now days AR are lighter and compact as older carbine, No need for carbine any longer..

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Compare the same with pistol..

consider one has to walk 20 km and then do a raid.
Would that man carrying RL still carry AK?
I have my resrvations !! As per strict military norms _ NO....

you all get carried over by the photos. AKs are not available every where in India and for every tom dick and harry.

Where are those weapons available which you named...

Mazboori is not the rule....

Last edited:

Akim

Professional
Country flag
Right, for a Carl-Gustav carrying soldier, that is his primary weapon. He will need a light weapon for secondary role.

I'd suggest AK-74SU, but then, that would mean introducing yet another calibre, and increasing logistic problems. Izhmash makes 5.56 mm AKMs; perhaps we could think of an AK-74SU in 5.56 mm?
AKS- 74U is an automat for the crews of armored vehicles. He is not equivalent to the pistol-gun. For him a small stopping action In Russia a police passes from him on P-G "Cedar". In Ukraine while in this plan blank. Tavor does not suit and the specimens did not pass a test while.

pmaitra

Compare the same with pistol..

consider one has to walk 20 km and then do a raid.
Would that man carrying RL still carry AK?

I have my resrvations !! As per strict military norms _ NO....
So you are saying no to carbines? In your earlier post you said you wanted carbines.

AKS-74U is a carbine.

Make up your mind.

pmaitra

AKS- 74U is an automat for the crews of armored vehicles. He is not equivalent to the pistol-gun. For him a small stopping action In Russia a police passes from him on P-G "Cedar". In Ukraine while in this plan blank. Tavor does not suit and the specimens did not pass a test while.
Or Bizon.

pmaitra

^^

Man, that's a snazzy Degtyarev. Excellent share. Thanks Akim!

pmaitra

^^

Too powerful round for such a small gun.

Will end up like the Argentinian FN-FALs. Even the Krinkov brake won't allow for complete combustion of the charge (I assume).

This one was never liked by the Soviet Army, and the few units that were issued with this, changed it for the AK-74SU. This one remained largely a prototype.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Look in crew served weapons the weapon man carries pistol.
The support or ammunition man with him carries a carbine or rifle..

Indian carbines are a reject lot due to many reasons and there is no alternatives available for those....

PARA SF basically wanted M-4 to fulfil that role....

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
PARA SF basically wanted M-4 to fulfil that role....
Can you give us some link where it is said that PARA SF demanded M4 ?

And Nor PARA SF were not using carbine before the purchase of M4..

Akim

Professional
Country flag
^^

Will end up like the Argentinian FN-FALs. Even the Krinkov brake won't allow for complete combustion of the charge (I assume).

This one was never liked by the Soviet Army, and the few units that were issued with this, changed it for the AK-74SU. This one remained largely a prototype.

You are right, but let us not compare technology of 60th and modern. It is possible to create a short weapon for such powerful cartridge.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Regarding 7.62X39mm ..

^^AR

^^Marksman Rife

^^LMG
All these use same round that is 7.62x39mm

And You can always pimp them up..

^^AR

^^Marksman Rifle

^^LMG

-------------------------------------------------------------

Though this is a good combination to arm a army but 7.62x39mm are not good as newer generation Bullets..

I am not disagree with Akim, But that what i feel as i have not seen same HV bullet of M43 as 5.56mm Nato..

Akim

Professional
Country flag
Though i just found out that manufacturer are..
Red Jacket Firearms - Sons of Guns

& Every Single Modification cost 2850$ :D

I simply showed that everything can be modernized. Naturally, not for such "furious" sum. Certainly if to spend superfluous money, then better caliber 6,5x39. But imagine are millions of cartridges, hundreds of thousands of assault rifles and machine guns. Why?. When in India, producing of weapon is debugged under М43. If she will be an only country, who will pass to the new caliber - it problem. The special advantages before 7.62 he will not give. I understand those who "sit" on 5,56 they will be noticed.
In our army all systems under 5,45. On the firing grounds of difference does not feel. That is why, our generals take it hurry to pass to other calibers. But if to look in a prospect, then it is better to develop a new weapon under 7,62, what new system a cartridge - a weapon.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Yeah thats right, though i got a good Vid on another RPD modification..

Last edited by a moderator:

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
^^

This may not be a Russian but a Bulgarian or yugoM92 .these are largely custom made by the gun Smiths in USA after importing the kits from arsenal or. Yugoslovia or Tula.The gun Smiths are so bright that they had even altered a Romanian draco (akmsu version) into a bullpup. But as you said these krinkovs are much useful in fire works than actually fire works and are unable to control too. For the RL operators the most suited ones will the Ak102 or 104 or bulagarian variants of it which are not krinkovs noor full lenght ARs but could do the job with out much recoil and shoot straightly over 100mts with a damn punching power.Considered to X95 and M4s these come with a less price tag and equal accuracy plus a greater reliabilty and equal or less weight.

Akim

Professional
Country flag
This may not be a Russian but a Bulgarian or yugoM92 .these are largely custom made by the gun Smiths in USA after importing the kits from arsenal or. Yugoslovia or Tula.The gun Smiths are so bright that they had even altered a Romanian draco (akmsu version) into a bullpup. But as you said these krinkovs are much useful in fire works than actually fire works and are unable to control too. For the RL operators the most suited ones will the Ak102 or 104 or bulagarian variants of it which are not krinkovs noor full lenght ARs but could do the job with out much recoil and shoot straightly over 100mts with a damn punching power.Considered to X95 and M4s these come with a less price tag and equal accuracy plus a greater reliabilty and equal or less weight.

1195$!!!
YugoM92 ( Krinkov), Underfold AK47

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles