What Indian Railways must learn from China

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
an australian that does not watch cricket anymore.

I am getting the impression that I would hurt you guys alot if it was true that a westerner could be so critical of india so you choose to believe that it must be a hidden chinese. I wonder why that is? Do our opinion mean so much to you?

Do the chinese opinion mean so little? There is quite a bit of animosity between chinese and indians but I don't see why that should be other than 1962 which was a long time ago. and fought by a different generation.
You're really rather thick, aren't you?

It is not about "Western opinion meaning something to us", fool. I have seen enough asshole Westerners too, whether anti-outsourcing pussies from the US, or patronizing asinine Brits from the UK, or racist Aussie assholes. I know very well that there are people critical of every nation everywhere in the world.

But when we see on an Indian defence-geopolitical forum, a person who is quite obviously a Chinese asslicker, trying his best to be an asshole, it pisses us off.

And you may not realize it, but when you start typing too much, you begin making basic grammatical mistakes that a native-English speaker would never make. You just prove yourself to be a bigger asshole with every post.

winton

You're really rather thick, aren't you?

It is not about "Western opinion meaning something to us", fool. I have seen enough asshole Westerners too, whether anti-outsourcing pussies from the US, or patronizing asinine Brits from the UK, or racist Aussie assholes. I know very well that there are people critical of every nation everywhere in the world.

But when we see on an Indian defence-geopolitical forum, a person who is quite obviously a Chinese asslicker, trying his best to be an asshole, it pisses us off.

And you may not realize it, but when you start typing too much, you begin making basic grammatical mistakes that a native-English speaker would never make. You just prove yourself to be a bigger asshole with every post.
I'll admit there are some racist australians but I am not one of those. I've been very respectful to all that I have corresponded with, not getting angry or resorting to name calling.

I really can't do much about my nationality. if you want to continue to believe that then that is your choice. You also contradict yourself by calling us convicts and dumb criminals and yet expect these convicts and dumb criminals to have perfect grammar on an online forum where its ettiquette to be slack in grammar and spelling. You only need to go to any forum in Australia to know that unless we are at court on TV or under english examination during high school, grammar is an after though. I'm pretty surprise that indians find it so important when aussies take it for granted.

anyway where were we, yes, Chinese Rail as an example for the Indians. Well, lets face it, high speed rail is a generational step up. A milestone where a nation can say I have achieved a ddistinguishable goal. Its obvious that india needs it because its a big country and people have to get around it quick. My question is why hasn't it happened yet?

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Shoot the message, not the messenger :)

Tolaha

Good, that helps. Idiotic 50-centers, this is the umpteenth time some asshole has pretended to be a Westerner here.
There are just people from 2 countries who are embarrassed of their heritage. Everyone knows who they are!

p2prada

High speed rail is very expensive. It is not conducive to start such a major project so quickly, especially during times of economic depression and tight monetary policy by RBI.

Once industrial growth goes back to a healthy 10%+ growth, we can start initiating bullet train projects with Private industry.

Currently the plan is to upgrade most of our lines to handle 160-200Kmph speeds along with upgrading engines to handle up to 12000HP of power in order to haul 25 coaches for each train.

Beyond 200 and up to 350Kmph, the lines are being proposed now and will be implemented over many years. As of today, there should be at least 6 projects being planned or awaiting approvals with distances between 100 and 1000Km on elevated corridors. Right now only pre-feasibility and feasibility studies are going on for various routes. Current plans are for around 4000Km of high speed rails between 200-350Kmph.

Railway ministry plans to set up National High Speed Rail Authority - Times Of India

Once NHSRA is setup, the project should see a major boost.

nimo_cn

Country flag
High speed rail is very expensive. It is not conducive to start such a major project so quickly, especially during times of economic depression and tight monetary policy by RBI.

Once industrial growth goes back to a healthy 10%+ growth, we can start initiating bullet train projects with Private industry.

Currently the plan is to upgrade most of our lines to handle 160-200Kmph speeds along with upgrading engines to handle up to 12000HP of power in order to haul 25 coaches for each train.

Beyond 200 and up to 350Kmph, the lines are being proposed now and will be implemented over many years. As of today, there should be at least 6 projects being planned or awaiting approvals with distances between 100 and 1000Km on elevated corridors. Right now only pre-feasibility and feasibility studies are going on for various routes. Current plans are for around 4000Km of high speed rails between 200-350Kmph.

Railway ministry plans to set up National High Speed Rail Authority - Times Of India

Once NHSRA is setup, the project should see a major boost.
Many people may be under the impression that China is building HSR in a haste, but whole decision making process is much longer than most people thought.

Massive HSR development happened after 2008, but China has been contemplating upgrading Chinese railway network since 1990s. The feasibility study of HSR began in 1990s, since then Chinese HSR supporters fall into two groups, one goes for magnetic, arguing that is the future, the other goes for traditional wheeltrack, arguing that is more mature and feasible.

I believe Chinese authority has been quite deliberate on this, fearing the a wrong choice may put Chinese future in a wrong direction. That is why a commercial maglev line was built in Shanghai, 2001. Beside showing off the deveopment of Shanghai, another major purpose of the project is to experiment it to make sure if it is worth a try. Somehow, magleve wasn't chosen as we see it for now.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
The cost/benefit ratio of high speed rail may not necessarily be the same for both China and India. China being three times larger than India geographically, may need to build faster train infrastructure to save people time and money in travelling around the country. Also, vast parts of China are unpopulated or underpopulated unlike India, where there is no "empty" land. Indians can use taxis, cars, aircraft, motorcycles, pretty much every form of transport to travel across the country while resting in the hundreds of towns along the way. On the other hand, a journey from Beijing to Lhasa or Xinjiang is comparatively lonely, long, and probably has fewer options in terms of modes of transportation.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
'm not much of a cricket fan because I got better things to do with my time than spend 5 days watching sport.
You must be playing and watching PING PONG!

That is a real Australian game!

You are as Australian as Swiss cheese is Australian because you know sausage about cricket.

Australians are so passionate about cricket that Australian Prime Minister John Howard's did a political faux pas by getting involved so passionately that he said Muralitharan was a "chucker".

It was a diplomatic bomb and a very parochial statement without scientific proof!

Man, if you are Australian, then so is the Man on the Moon!

Gubba and Skippy Poofter?

Last edited:

cir

Please leave the Indians alone。they like living in caves、self-delusion and denial。

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Please leave the Indians alone。they like living in caves、self-delusion and denial。
Really?

That is news.

You are right.

China has emerged out of their caves because as that Chinese poster went gleefully ballistic that China has 'arrived' having aped the West and finding KFC and hiding their penchant for dog meat and wearing jeans as the Zam Zam of life!

Of course, they do also possess their ancient Chinese custom and what to hide it under covers of hawking their phlegm and spitting, or having children peeing all over public area since children's pee is 'clean' or running around in pyjamas or barebodied and so on!

Or being proud to false flag with total pride to hide one's origin and inclinations.
Good for you!

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
Indians are living in denial? Here's a picture of China's rail network (note some HS lines will only be complete in 2020):

Here's a picture of India's rail network:

Barely 40% of China is connected to the rail network, and even where it's connected, the network is not very dense. On the other hand, more than 90% of India is covered by the Indian Railways, Indians from any corner of the country can travel to any other part using the railway. They may not be high speed rails, but at least they have access to some form of transportation!

So who's deluding themselves? Chinese teasing Indians over high speed rail is like Pakis who claim that their "1 Muslim soldier" is equal to "100 Hindu soldiers"! :lol:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Barely 40% of China is connected to the rail network, and even where it's connected, the network is not very dense. On the other hand, more than 90% of India is covered by the Indian Railways, Indians from any corner of the country can travel to any other part using the railway. They may not be high speed rails, but at least they have access to some form of transportation!
Can't blame the Chinese for such low coverage of their Railways.

Facilities and accessibility is only for the Han people and not the minorities like the Uighurs, Tibetan and the Mongols.

Let them these minorities first call themselves Han and be fully assimilated, and then and then only will China spread the network.

Right now, it is merely to cater for military and tourist traffic and that is not that demanding. What is there is adequate for both!

RedDragon

I don't think China's experience is useful for Indian. let's just be ourselves. And even the Chinese railway network can't say to be perfect. Wish India can develop their own way to improve their railway system.

I remember I have see a Discovery Channel Program "the grand India railway". In it a Indian engineer said they no longer use a kind of backward train which is still used in some backward country like CHINA!.

mikhail

Country flag
and the chinis are the most wisest of people living in grand palaces in heaven:rofl:

RedDragon

From my hometown to BeiJing is about 1500 kilometers. it used to take more than 24 hours to take a train about 20 years before, and now it take about 6 hours by HSR and about a little than 10 hours by ordinary train.

My Indian friends, how about the hours to travel from your hometown to your capital? How much it has been changed in these 20 years.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
16hrs by ordinary train to cover 1500kms while covering most of North eastern India..

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
From my hometown to BeiJing is about 1500 kilometers. it used to take more than 24 hours to take a train about 20 years before, and now it take about 6 hours by HSR and about a little than 10 hours by ordinary train.

My Indian friends, how about the hours to travel from your hometown to your capital? How much it has been changed in these 20 years.
In our philosophy time is not material.

Time, motion, and change are such basic philosophical concepts. All of these concepts are abstract ideas that are constructed of multiple metaphors resulting from literal ever-day experiences.

We have a rich and diverse notion of what time is. Time is not a thing-in-itself that we conceptualize as being independent. "All of our understandings of time are relative to other concepts such as motion, space, and events "¦We define time by metonymy: successive iterations of a type of event stand for intervals of "time"." Consequentially, the basic literal properties of our concept of time are consequences of properties of events: Time is directional, irreversible, segmentable, continuous, and measurable.

Patience is the credo!

Conquer the metaphors.

Embrace the sublime!

Last edited:

pmaitra

I remember I have see a Discovery Channel Program "the grand India railway". In it a Indian engineer said they no longer use a kind of backward train which is still used in some backward country like CHINA!.
It's called "The Great Indian Railways," and it was not from Discovery Channel, but from National Geographic. The exact thing that person said was that while many countries, such as China, still continue to use Steam Locomotives, India has to move forward and discard its Steam Locomotives for Diesel and Electric traction. He wasn't making fun of PRC, but it is true that PRC still used Steam traction extensively long after Steam traction was almost stopped in India, when that comment was made.

RedDragon

In our philosophy time is not material.

Time, motion, and change are such basic philosophical concepts. All of these concepts are abstract ideas that are constructed of multiple metaphors resulting from literal ever-day experiences.

We have a rich and diverse notion of what time is. Time is not a thing-in-itself that we conceptualize as being independent. "All of our understandings of time are relative to other concepts such as motion, space, and events "¦We define time by metonymy: successive iterations of a type of event stand for intervals of "time"." Consequentially, the basic literal properties of our concept of time are consequences of properties of events: Time is directional, irreversible, segmentable, continuous, and measurable.

Patience is the credo!

Conquer the metaphors.

Embrace the sublime!
After all, faster train save people's time and good carriage let people feel comfort. Both Chinese and Indian people deserver them.

Now when I visit customer, HSR have saved my time and energy greatly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles