WeChat a threat to national security?

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Over the past few weeks, we've been seeing TV advertisements of a smartphone app named "WeChat." I first saw it during a live cricket broadcast, but it went on to appear on several TV channels, and at prime-time spots. It made me wonder how a free app developer could afford such expensive TV ad spots, given how there are countless alternatives to WeChat, and as someone who knows an app developer, I have a good idea how little money there is, in even having a hundred million people running your app; heck, it would still not be enough to afford prime-time TV ad spots across Indian television.

I then did some digging around, and found out that WeChat has a global presence, and like in India, its developers are spending enormous amounts of money advertising the app elsewhere. In Latin America, for example, they roped in Lionel Messi as brand ambassador. There's no way that a company with just $25 million in market cap can afford a global marketing campaign of this scale, unless it's being funded by someone else. That made me dig a little deeper.

Apparently, WeChat is backed by a Chinese internet company called Tencent, which also runs huge Chinese portals such as QQ. Since western social networks such as Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube are banned in China, because their openness could make them fertile rally-points for political dissidence, most of Tencent's sites have taken over similar functions: a full-scale social network (QQ), a micro-blogging site (Weibo), and an P2P sales and collaboration site (PaiPai). All three of these sites are considered "politically kosher," because the Chinese government is known to employ countless Internet users infinitesimal amounts of money to comb these sites for anti-government or anti-China content, and report to the authorities. QQ, like most PRC-based successful companies, such as Huawei and ZTE, are deeply rooted with the Chinese Communist Party.

I hence feel that patronage of WeChat, even if it's free, is a threat to national security, as it effectively gives the Chinese government not just access to our chats, but rest of our smartphones. When installing the app on Android, you consent to giving the app access to other areas of your smartphone such as SMS inbox, contacts, etc; and that is a huge privacy hole!

Discuss.

Last edited:

amoy

Wechat is free ?

WeChat To Charge? (Bootycalls Will Never Be The Same!) | Agenda - Beijing's Premier Business Magazine

A Debate on the WeChat Fee -- Beijing Review

Tencent will naturally be looking to monetize ("make a profit from") WeChat. They're not a charity and Pony Ma is a very smart guy. You get 300 million users and you make just RMB10 from them a year – that's, oooh, loadsamoney. Tencent posted total revenues of RMB 43.9 billion in their 2012 financial results, but another RMB 3 billion a year would never go amiss. Leveraging that enormous user base is the obvious step – TechInAsia posted about WeChat's anticipated move into social gaming, where we've already seen Asian companies leading the way in turning a profit. There are also considerable possibilities in online-to-offline e-commerce, and added-value services (for power users or marketers - you've probably already noticed (or do so yourself) WeChat marketing).

amoy

And more from http://agendabeijing.com/wechat-to-charge-bootycalls-will-never-be-the-same/
Second, with WeChat's popularity (an estimated 300 million users), it's been denting the profits of China Mobile and China Unicom, the telecoms providers. "Well, so what?" you might think,"that's business, innit". Well, not in China. WeChat uses the bandwidth of provided by the telecoms companies: users pay for the bandwidth use, of course, in their data package, but WeChat's success means it must be dominating the use of the bandwidth, without the cost recouping the money lost on SMS and phone connection. The price could rise, but this would be effectively a subsidy from Tencent to China Mobile and China Unicom. This is hardly the way to encourage innovation.

The telecoms companies also have considerable economic and political clout. It's not just that they are cash cows: the SOEs are pillar companies, handpicked as flagbearers in the national and economic development of China. (G.E. Anderson points out in Designated Drivers that this is why there are no mid-sized auto companies in China: there are only handpicked government backed-companies like Geely, who haven't exactly been making waves internationally, or province-level micro-competitors: national, private, competitors have been blocked). If they are using their clout to demand protection from an innovator, when the technology has moved from SMS to net-delivered messaging, when WeChat is about the only world-class tech product to come out of China so far (Sina Weibo notwithstanding), it will be a sad day.

Last edited:

VIP

Ultra Nationalist
Country flag
Parineeti :drool:

Whatsapp :hail:

SLASH

I prefer whatsapp. Wechat is still very buggy. I find the voice chat function to be tiresome. But I am sure it works well as a long distance walky-talky.

aragorn

I also use Whatsapp. But on windows mobile it sucks. Message updates take forever.. sometimes it just dont update, notifications are mess :(

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles