Web designer builds nuclear reactor in warehouse

Country flag
http://www.news.com.au/world/new-yo...ooklyn-warehouse/story-e6frfkyi-1225883476418

Web designer Mark Suppes builds nuclear reactor in warehouse

* Amateur physicist builds $40,000 reactor
* Aiming to produce energy by fusion
* Shocks neighbours with his creation

A NEW York web designer for fashion house Gucci surprised his neighbours by revealing he built a nuclear reactor in a Brooklyn warehouse.

Mark Suppes, a 32-year-old amateur physicist with a passion for sustainable energy, constructed the $US40,000 ($45,000) homemade fusion reactor in his spare time, the BBC reported.

He is the 38th independent physicist in the word to achieve nuclear fusion from a self-built reactor and forms part of a growing community of "fusioneers".

These brainiacs are trying to discover how to produce energy by fusion, a process that currently consumes more energy to run than it creates.

"I was inspired because I believed I was looking at a technology that could actually work to solve our energy problems, and I believed it was something that I could at least begin to build," Mr Suppes told the BBC.

While it may concern those close to his makeshift lab, fusion reactors are perfectly legal in the US and pose no radioactive threat, as unlike nuclear fission reactions, they do not require uranium or plutonium fuel.

Patrick

Thanks for sharing the information. It will be very helpful for us.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles