- May 25, 2013
1.This is actually your assumption.If indeed during peacetime navies don't pack their ships with weapons then why is every other navy in the world in peacetime better armed pound for pound,32 sam vls in not good enough for a 7000 tonne ship.Why do chinese 52D have 64 universal vls plus 24 short range sam. Don't even go to type 55.Japanese, korean and american ships have 64- 96 vls.Even british have 48 asters.Do you think all these navies are fools and only IN is professional?We need minimum 48 barak-8s on these ships and preferably 64.
- India having undergunned ship is your assumption. During peace time, when you don't see enemy build up, there is no need for overpacking with guns. Indian ships are capable of packing heavy heat when needed by quick upgrades. It was seen in 1971 war whereby India packed heavy heat on its ships. So, there is no problem of undergunning
- Minesweeper is a long term requirement and India wants to build technology base for its manufacture rather than import blindly. If push comes to the shove, India can make older generation minesweepers on its own. So, I don't see any reason to import minesweeper. This is a hole in the short duration but is of more strategic than actual problem
- Helicopter project - IMRH was abandoned by UPA in 2008. The project is back on course and will be ready by 2025. Unless there is an urgent need, importing is meaningless. It is better to rotate existing choppers than being hasty and importing. This problem will be solved by 2025.
- India has modern torpedoes. Indiahas made Varunastra and Shyena, both of which are in service with surface ships. The submarine version is being made by altering Varunastra and is either completed or will be complete soon. Both of these torpedoes are quite modern
- The RBU6000 is a very cheap rocket and is meant for saturation attack in the last moment. It is a final backup rather than the main weapon.
- Talwar class frigate is an old one. It has not yet been upgraded yet.But the modern frigates don't have a problem like this. So, it is unjustified to generalise problems of one set of ships to the entire navy
- The Barak-8 has 100km range but is not good enough for planes. It does not have the maneuverability needed. But, the alternative is to use a heavy SAM like sm6 of which each missile weighs 1.5ton. Though, the problem with this approach is that despite the long range SAM, the aircrafts will still retain edge of superiority over the Naval SAMs. The aircrafts can launch weapons like exocet, Harpoon which has range of 150km+. Even if the SAM has a range of 200km, the planes will have ample opportunity to make a run after firing the ASh missile. Su30 can, for example, launch Brahmos from 300-400km and the enemy will not be able to do anything to the plane. So, at the end of the day, the ship will never be able to destroy enemy planes even with longer range SAM but only end up wasting more space and adding unnecessary weight. The best bet for ships to stay safe from enemy aircrafts is to stay away from land until enemy air assets are destroyed by bombardment by aircrats of aircraft carrier or airforce and by missile strikes.
The fact that IN persisted with just 32 baraks on future ships like p17a and p15b shows its lack of vision. Kamorta class too is oversized for its armament.That armament could be carried by 2000 tonne corvette.Just look at new russian admiral gorshkov class frigate .They put 16 oniks/brahmos in 5000 tonne frigate and we will have 8 brahmos in 7000 tonne p17a. Total Disappointment.
2.Lets hope its short term problem.Because a few mines quietly laid by submarines on chokepoints or harbour entry regions can bottle down whole fleet.Remember even the mighty royal navy and its battleships were sunk at gallipoli by mines.
3.I hope so.
4.For surface ships its ok.But for submarines i'm not sure how good varunastra will be after its deployed. Perhaps better than old russian torpedos ,but with chinese subs entering IOR we should need seahake or black shark for the kalvaris.Just 100 such torpedos will be not very costly yet a big boost.But stupid MOD and its red tape.The german Seahake has more range and better target acquisition than varunastra. Shyena torpedo with pathetic 7km range i don't have much confidence in.
5.I know RBU is a backup weapon.But its an increasingly obsolete one,so why are we putting it on our newest ships that will serve for 3-4 decades?Why not use something like paket anti torpedo /anti sub system ?RBU also takes up large spaces..if we used something like ASROC which can be launched from VLS with much larger range it would open up spaces for much more vls and increase sub hunting capability.Navy again lacking vision.Russia has moved on to paket and asroc style klub variant in vls combo.
6.Talwar is not old one.It numerically the most important class.Delhi class has just basic shtil missile in arm launcher,always hearing of upgrades -still nothing.The ship itself has become obsolete.Also new shivalik class frigates also have this shit launcher which shows dumbness of IN.Shtil-1 arm launcher is shit,it will be overwhelmed by any saturation attack with 2-3 missiles.Unlike shivalik i,talwar doesn't even have barak-1 as backup.Its range also makes it useless against aircraft,and arm launcher has restricted angel of attack so even against that 1 missile or PGM its vulnerable if its not in its arc.No one knows if its effective against sea skimmers like barak. This shitty arm launcher is main reason why standard chinese type 054a frigate is better than ours.We cant match PLAN in numbers,so ship for ship we must be qualitatively better.Barak-8,elta AESA radar,ACTAS,brahmos are all better than anything PLAN has but we need to increase payload and also remove these obsolete missiles.We also need to make the most of existing platforms.The saryu and sukanya class OPVs with 2000 tonnes can easily carry 4-8 brahmos to act as missile attcak platforms if necessary.If brahmos is too costly use the klubs that are being replaced by brahmos on the older ships.
If the godavaris are being decomissioned we should put their barak-1s on either the talwars or the kamortas.
7.Planes can't always use full range of missile due to target acquisition problems.OTH shots are problematic due to earth's curvature interfering,as well as other issues.So having a long range SAM would be useful in the future.I agree its not an immediate priority ,but as china builds more and more carriers we will need to develop such a weapon.We can't match chinese carriers in number so we will have to compensate by land based aerial support from south india and andaman ,plus our carriers and long range missiles while brahmos from ships and sukhois and our subs attack from below.
Above all we need to put more weapons on our ships.At least IN got ACTAS sonar.