'We will execute your daughter and there's nothing you can do'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sailor

'We will execute your daughter and there's nothing you can do'
11:29AM Monday May 04, 2009

Despite a stay of execution and a pending appeal, Delara Darabi was executed by Iranian authorities on Friday.

It was 7am when Delara Darabi phoned home. "Oh mother, I see the hangman's noose in front of me," she garbled. "They are going to execute me. Please save me." Moments later a prison official snatched the handset away. "We will easily execute your daughter and there's nothing you can do about it," he barked at the parents. Then, with a chilling click, the line went dead.

The desperate couple rushed to Rasht Central Prison, wailing at the guards to let them see their 22-year-old. As they prostrated themselves, an ambulance emerged from the prison yard, most probably with Delara's corpse inside.

"They took Delara to the gallows with nobody around her," Mohammad Mostafaei, one of her lawyers, said in a letter distributed to human rights groups. "They put the rope on her delicate neck. I do not know who the cruel person was to pull the chair from under her feet."

Ms Darabi - dubbed The Prisoner of Colours for the love of painting she developed whilst on death row - was convicted for murdering her father's wealthy cousin in September 2003, when she was just 17.

Although she initially confessed to the crime, she later said she had been persuaded to take the blame by her older boyfriend Amir Hossein. It was in fact Mr Hossein who had killed the rich relation, she said, to get the money.

The 19-year-old allegedly told Ms Darabi that she could save him from the gallows by confessing and that there would be no risk to her own life because she was still a minor. The young woman complied. Her boyfriend was sentenced to 10 years in prison for complicity to murder; she was sentenced to death.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Iranians are the most peaceable of Muslims. They are also very intellectually inclined.

It is the misrule of the Shah that has driven them to embrace radicalism and who knows if the ballots are not rigged?

I have seen Shias are the coolest of them! Apart from the Sufis, who are even more cool.

I am surprised with Ahmediniajad's rhetoric!

He acts a goat!

Sailor

All I know is what happened there on Friday to that poor young woman.
I am certainly not interested in theories. It happened and was condoned by the government of the day. The government of the day of any country is ultimately responsible.
To allow the poor girl a phone to call her mother and have the phone snatched away by some 'scum of the Earth' to say that to her mother, defies belief.
Then to kick a chair out from under her and let her slowly strangle to death has connotations of the Nazis at their worst.

Shiny Capstar

Professional
Iranians are the most peaceable of Muslims. They are also very intellectually inclined.

It is the misrule of the Shah that has driven them to embrace radicalism and who knows if the ballots are not rigged?

I have seen Shias are the coolest of them! Apart from the Sufis, who are even more cool.

He acts a goat!
It really is a shame that the revolutionary fervour after the fall of the Shah led to the current rulers, who destroyed a lot of what revolution brought about initially.

Oh, an interesting note. Apparently, (according to what is left of the opposition there), for Ahmediniajad's rallies they draft in a lot of soldiers and students to act the loving populace. So for the cameras it looks like so many people love him so, same for a lot of anti-west protests. I wouldn't be at all surprised if that was the case.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
I beg to Disagree, maybe the Govt is to be blamed, but the General Populance there is peace loving, and have suffered immensely both under the Shah and then the Ayotallahs. But they are better off under the Mullahs they feel, and there is nothing we can do about it.

Shias, are cool muslims, like Sufis, if you call Iran violent, then I dont know what you will call Iraq et al!

What happened is a disgrace, and I hate it when stuff like this happens, but lets not brand a People like this. It will not help in changing them, it will Only Alienate them.

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
the judiciary gave a stay order for two months on her execution, which the prison authority disregarded. I had an impression that Iran is relatively better governed country than others in mid-east.

Delara Darabi executed in Iran | Amnesty International

Iran also has a young age of eligibility for the death penalty - 15 years for males, and 9 for females.
In which civilized god-fearing country is this acceptable! It's horrible! Killing a kid of 9 year is murder of worst type, whether or not sentenced by law.

Flint

I'd recommend a reading of SATA's excellent post in the nuclear Iran thread.

Rage

DFI TEAM
The discourse of reform in the years preceding the overthrow of the Shah sought to create an identity that identified with the culture of magnanimity and preeminence and the standards of honour of the days of old- primarily as an instrument of 'dialectic opposition' to the perceived overwhelming of Iranian culture and the appurtenances of its nation state by the West. What you see today therefore is simply the embracing of Islam as the basis for that reactionary cultural movement- taken to an extreme by a leadership that remains antagonistic to the West, and particularly to foreign influence. Iran does not nearly approximate Wahabbi Saudi Arabia for instance in its treatment of 'criminal' or 'civil offenders'. Ofcourse the fact that the latter does not receive remotely as much bad press is testament to the hypocrisy and duality of the West when it comes to human rights: it would seem that there exists one standard of censure and animadversion for all those who are 'on the wrong side of the fence', and quite another for those who 'toe the line'. Let's not fool ourselves here: state executions in contravention of rhadamanthine, due judicial process are by no means unique to Iran, but it would seem increasingly that bad press is! The Iranian youth, even today, are generally well educated, secular-liberal and have higher aspirations than their predecessors for themselves and their country. There have also been several intellectual reform movements both before and after the Revolution. "Most barbarous place on earth" therefore would seem an epithet that is in stark dissonance with factual realities. No ill, just pointing out the facts.

Let us not forget also an equation that has held true for the most since the Islamic revolution: that Shia Iran = Friends of India.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
^^Ironically , It is the Iranian emperor, Cyrus the great, who gave the world its first charter of human rights.
History of Iran: The Cyrus the Great Cylinder
But Singh, Cyrus was Zoroastrian. Iran lost its civilizational essence when it was overrun by the Islamic hordes from Arabia. Sad, really. Same as with the Egyptians.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
But Singh, Cyrus was Zoroastrian. Iran lost its civilizational essence when it was overrun by the Islamic hordes from Arabia. Sad, really. Same as with the Egyptians.
Humanity and Human Rights got nothing to do with what Religion one professes. Either you are a Kind person or you are a cruel person. There is no Kind Christian or Cruel Muslim.

Do you think that the rulers before and After Cyrus were benovelent? Or do you think the Ancient Egyptians were Kind? Were they kind by enslaving millions and building pyramids? Or was Slavery not cruel?

Please dont equate, Humanity with Religions, it wont get the discussion anywhere. It will only results in a mud slinging contest.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
Humanity and Human Rights got nothing to do with what Religion one professes. Either you are a Kind person or you are a cruel person. There is no Kind Christian or Cruel Muslim.
One's culture and values, which flow from religion, had very much to do with human rights in the ancient world. Ashoka never invaded foreign lands to please Buddha. and didn't raze entire cities and exterminate their populations when they refused to convert. In fact, I can't think of a single Hindu or Buddhist ruler in India that did. Not even Shivaji or the Marathas, when they sacked Delhi.

Do you think that the rulers before and After Cyrus were benovelent? Or do you think the Ancient Egyptians were Kind? Were they kind by enslaving millions and building pyramids? Or was Slavery not cruel?
Slavery definitely was cruel. However, did you know that as late as 19th century, people in America used to justify Slavery on religious grounds? Arabs also played a vital role in Slavery in the middle ages. Sure, there was an economic dimension to it, but it was justified on religious grounds.

By and large, Islamic kings and princes have used religion to justify their barbaric invasions of foreign territories, and hence they get judged by it. There have been exceptions like Akbar and Saladin, but they have been few and far in between.

Please dont equate, Humanity with Religions, it wont get the discussion anywhere. It will only results in a mud slinging contest.
I'm just stating the cultural context for events in the ancient world. If Cyrus was Muslim, then there was no way he could have drafted a Charter on Human Rights-his beliefs on Slavery, on the status of women, non-Muslims etc would have conflicted with his aims. Zoroastrianism does not ask its followers to smite the unbelievers or to treat them as sub-human. The Abrahamic faiths do.

I'm not saying anything that the above is necessarily true for Muslims in the modern world. However, when we talk about events that happened in an era when the spread of education was limited if not non-existent, scientific renaissance hadn't happened, and people relied on their religious texts and cultural traditions to differentiate between right and wrong, it becomes necessary to put events in their proper historical context to evaluate their significance.

shiv

iran the most barbaric?? not even close,china executed close to 60,000 people last year,and it takes the cost of the bullet from the family as execution charges.

Sailor

Still haven't changed my mind.
[See my second post on the launching of the new hunter killer submarine, USS New Mexico.]

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador

He acts a goat!
Sir, I am not so sure about the highlighted part. I agree that Iranians are intellectually inclined and have historically loathed Arabs whom they consider barbarians. It is also true that they inherit most of the cultural achievements of early Islam.

However, the Shia can be as fundamentalist as anyone else, even a Wahabi or for that matter any other religion. You can have cool Shias, Sunnis or even Wahabis and you can have extremist versions of them.

The more extremists of the Shia consider the non-Shia as heretic and won't bat an eyelid in causing the end of the world if he thinks that will help hasten the coming of the 12th Imam. A'jad is one of them. The blood gishing out of kid's heads on the occasion of the Imam Hussein's anniverasry (I think it happens more in Lebanon and Iraq but also to a less extent in the subcontinent) is another stark reminder of the same.

Also you should remember Hizbollah. It's no different than the Hamas in targeting the civilians.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
One's culture and values, which flow from religion, had very much to do with human rights in the ancient world. Ashoka never invaded foreign lands to please Buddha. and didn't raze entire cities and exterminate their populations when they refused to convert. In fact, I can't think of a single Hindu or Buddhist ruler in India that did. Not even Shivaji or the Marathas, when they sacked Delhi.

Slavery definitely was cruel. However, did you know that as late as 19th century, people in America used to justify Slavery on religious grounds? Arabs also played a vital role in Slavery in the middle ages. Sure, there was an economic dimension to it, but it was justified on religious grounds.

By and large, Islamic kings and princes have used religion to justify their barbaric invasions of foreign territories, and hence they get judged by it. There have been exceptions like Akbar and Saladin, but they have been few and far in between.

I'm just stating the cultural context for events in the ancient world. If Cyrus was Muslim, then there was no way he could have drafted a Charter on Human Rights-his beliefs on Slavery, on the status of women, non-Muslims etc would have conflicted with his aims. Zoroastrianism does not ask its followers to smite the unbelievers or to treat them as sub-human. The Abrahamic faiths do.

I'm not saying anything that the above is necessarily true for Muslims in the modern world. However, when we talk about events that happened in an era when the spread of education was limited if not non-existent, scientific renaissance hadn't happened, and people relied on their religious texts and cultural traditions to differentiate between right and wrong, it becomes necessary to put events in their proper historical context to evaluate their significance.
You got valid points My friend, Abrhamic Religions are in a way like what you said But, I got counter arguments like why did Ashoka choose Buddhism and then become a peace advocate? or Was it Hinduism that led him to take on all the battles and killing? No my Friend, Wars are not fought for Religion, but for POWER., I wont post all of my arguments here , as it will be Off Topic Completely. But may I put forth another Idea?

I strongly feel that the Execution of this girl, has got nothing to do with religion or Human rights, Its Just plain "Discrimination against The Female Species". Its an act by the Cowardly Instititutions, that Women have Limits, and even if they dont cross the Limits, still they can be mowed down! Yes, I feel this is Gender Bias, they are trying to shut down any urge for freedom or reform among the womenfolk.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
Ahmed,

You got valid points My friend, Abrhamic Religions are in a way like what you said
Thanks for acknowledging that. Most followers of the Abrahamic faith refuse to even accept this simple truth, so it's hard to continue the discussion. This needs to be seen as an academic discussion on comparative religion, and not as a mud-slinging contest when the deficiencies of religions are pointed out.

But, I got counter arguments like why did Ashoka choose Buddhism and then become a peace advocate? or Was it Hinduism that led him to take on all the battles and killing?
Buddhism is definitely more pacifist than Hinduism. Krishna in the Bhagvad Gita permits the fighting of a dharmayuddha and thus convinces the Pandavas to fight their own cousins. From what little I know of Buddhism, the Buddha never permitted war. His advice to everyone was to shed desire and become an ascetic. His philosophy placed more emphasis on vegetarianism, than even Hinduism did. Jainism went even further, and hence Jain monks have a piece of cloth tied to their mouth so that they don't involuntarily swallow micro-organisms. When walking, they sweep the temple floor in front of them so that any insects may not unintentionally be crushed by them.

The point to be noted here, is that Ashoka never used Hindu scriptures to justify his invasions of other lands, and neither did any Hindu/Buddhist king that ever lived. They couldn't, because nowhere in the Hindu scriptures does it say that Hinduism needs to be spread or that non-believers need to be converted or killed. In fact, it is quite the opposite, "Ekam sat, vipraha bahudha vadanti", which means "Truth is one, but sages call it by many names". This philosophy is the antithesis of the philosophy behind the Abrahamic religions, and hence, there was no way Ashoka or any other Hindu/Buddhist king could use their religion to justify their invasions.

Hence, it cannot be said that Hinduism led him to do all the battles that he did. Ashoka engaged in those wars not to spread Hinduism as Islamic or Christian kings did later, but as a normal part of his kingship.

No my Friend, Wars are not fought for Religion, but for POWER., I wont post all of my arguments here , as it will be Off Topic Completely.
Yes, I do think we're going off-topic, maybe you can move this to a new thread? I agree that wars are fought for power, but the beliefs of the individual waging war motivate him to get that power. For example, most Islamic invaders into India thought that they had some kind of divine mandate from Allah to crush the unbelievers. Hence they indulged in repeated invasions, indulged in more barbarism than they did in their invasions of Muslim lands, and went to the extent of razing Hindu and Buddhist temples to the ground and building mosques on top of them as a sort of symbol of their religious superiority.

We saw this as recently as 2001 or so when the Taliban demolished the Bamiyan buddhas. I was extremely pained when that incident took place, even though I'm not a Buddhist. Then just wonder how barbaric these Afghan invaders must have been 500 years ago.

I strongly feel that the Execution of this girl, has got nothing to do with religion or Human rights, Its Just plain "Discrimination against The Female Species". Its an act by the Cowardly Instititutions, that Women have Limits, and even if they dont cross the Limits, still they can be mowed down! Yes, I feel this is Gender Bias, they are trying to shut down any urge for freedom or reform among the womenfolk.
In the Islamic Republic of Iran. It's only in the muslim world that there are such discriminatory laws against women. Again, this has basis in the Sharia and the Hudoods. And remember, this same Iran was once the proud birthplace of an ancient civilization which, 2000 years ago, was more progressive socially than the Islamic Republic of Iran is now.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
Ahmed,

Thanks for acknowledging that. Most followers of the Abrahamic faith refuse to even accept this simple truth, so it's hard to continue the discussion. This needs to be seen as an academic discussion on comparative religion, and not as a mud-slinging contest when the deficiencies of religions are pointed out.

Buddhism is definitely more pacifist than Hinduism. Krishna in the Bhagvad Gita permits the fighting of a dharmayuddha and thus convinces the Pandavas to fight their own cousins. From what little I know of Buddhism, the Buddha never permitted war. His advice to everyone was to shed desire and become an ascetic. His philosophy placed more emphasis on vegetarianism, than even Hinduism did. Jainism went even further, and hence Jain monks have a piece of cloth tied to their mouth so that they don't involuntarily swallow micro-organisms. When walking, they sweep the temple floor in front of them so that any insects may not unintentionally be crushed by them.

The point to be noted here, is that Ashoka never used Hindu scriptures to justify his invasions of other lands, and neither did any Hindu/Buddhist king that ever lived. They couldn't, because nowhere in the Hindu scriptures does it say that Hinduism needs to be spread or that non-believers need to be converted or killed. In fact, it is quite the opposite, "Ekam sat, vipraha bahudha vadanti", which means "Truth is one, but sages call it by many names". This philosophy is the antithesis of the philosophy behind the Abrahamic religions, and hence, there was no way Ashoka or any other Hindu/Buddhist king could use their religion to justify their invasions.

Hence, it cannot be said that Hinduism led him to do all the battles that he did. Ashoka engaged in those wars not to spread Hinduism as Islamic or Christian kings did later, but as a normal part of his kingship.

Yes, I do think we're going off-topic, maybe you can move this to a new thread? I agree that wars are fought for power, but the beliefs of the individual waging war motivate him to get that power. For example, most Islamic invaders into India thought that they had some kind of divine mandate from Allah to crush the unbelievers. Hence they indulged in repeated invasions, indulged in more barbarism than they did in their invasions of Muslim lands, and went to the extent of razing Hindu and Buddhist temples to the ground and building mosques on top of them as a sort of symbol of their religious superiority.

We saw this as recently as 2001 or so when the Taliban demolished the Bamiyan buddhas. I was extremely pained when that incident took place, even though I'm not a Buddhist. Then just wonder how barbaric these Afghan invaders must have been 500 years ago.

In the Islamic Republic of Iran. It's only in the muslim world that there are such discriminatory laws against women. Again, this has basis in the Sharia and the Hudoods. And remember, this same Iran was once the proud birthplace of an ancient civilization which, 2000 years ago, was more progressive socially than the Islamic Republic of Iran is now.
Seriously, I dont wish to continue this Discussion here, or on other threads, simply because I might have the intelligence and skill to recognise and debate with you in a desired manner, but many wont be able to do so, and it will degenerate.

The Islam of Razing temples and looting is not the Islam which was practiced by the Prophet and His companions, here is an excerpt I had saved long ago on as I found it very different from the current Islam.

"Back to Omar (peace be upon him), would anyone know that Islam state at the time of Omer gained the governance of Jerusalem by invitation from the city? Yes, indeed the city was in chaos due to the conflicts and rivalry among Christian leaders. When they heard about the justice that Islam state bring to its land and the high reputition of Omar as the caliph, they sent an agreement to Omar saying that they will give the keys to the city only if Omar comes in person. At that time, also Islam armies were approaching to Jerusalem. Omar, humble to God and not having any property or benefit to himself, did not even have the money to buy two animals to ride for himself and for his servant so he rode his animal takings turns with his servant. When they reached Jerusalem, it was his servant's turn and Omar was pulling the leash of the animal (it was Islam's understanding of equity and justice for all). When the Patriarch Sophronius and city people awaiting for him saw this, they were shocked and in the beginning , some of them thought the servant was actually Omar.

When Patriarch gave Omar the keys to the city, Omar already had signed a document saying:
"This is the emandment that Omar, the servant of God and the leader of believers gives to the people of Ilya (Jerusalem). The leader of believers (Omar)guarantees that in good or bad health, the lives and the properties of all people in the city will be protected. At the same time, the temples or churches, religions and religious symbols will be kept and respected as holy. No one will destroy any temple or church or alter them for building houses. People's rights will be protected as they were in the past. There will be never a force by Islam or different sections of Christianity to change people's faith or to take people's belongings. Absolutely no one will be harmed or hurt by any means. Allah, His Messenger, Messenger's companions and believers witness this agreement. "

This document was applied fully from the beginning. Not even one people was hurt or disturbed by taking over. Omar, when the Patriarch showed him around the most famous church, Kamame church in the city, wanted to do his prayer and asked for a space. When the Patriarch told him right in the church he can pray, Omar said: If I do that, my people would build a mosque here for the memory of this moment. And he went out and in a close distance he did his prayer, where Muslims later actually built a mosque across the church. Today, this mosque (Mescidul Omar) is still in Jerusalem ( Kudus)."

For those who dont know Omar, Peace be upon him was a Close companion of the Prophet PBUH. Gandhiji was an ardent admirer of him and wanted a Ruler like him.

Now back- You are Right, Muslim rulers took it upon themselves to Rid the world of Infidels, but deep inside they knew they werent fighting for Allah, but for Wealth and Glory. Why did the Ghoris and Ghaznis just loot and go if they were so pious and wanted to establish the Law of God? They my friend just wanted Gold, lots of It and used God as tool. Try to Understand that, and you and me wont be having this debate.

You are right, Islam of today is repressive towards women, and I am ashamed of it. What Can I do? I dont have to do anything, because In my Country India, and My State Kerala, the women are respected and treated well (Mostly- Its not utopia you know!) But sadly, even in our country, there are problems. If we bring it Shariah etc, then I must say that they have been twisted and corrupted by people for their selfish ends and to enforce their power towards selfish means.

Why did the Manusmriti say " Na stree arhata swatantriya"??? Wasnt it draconian? No, It wasnt that draconian, it just went onto say that Women would be under care of father when a child, Under care of Husband as a wife and Finally under care of Children as she grows old. Tell this to todays feminists and they will tear your head off! I dont belive women need protection from men, but Our Society has degenrated or generated to such an extent that, women need security. Can a 20 year old girl go watch a movie alone (second show?) ??? Maybe she can, and she might not be harmed, but parents/guardians at large wont allow her, because they know the danger lurking outside, while a Boy can easily go! Isnt it discrimination of a kind? Well I say we all should reform and then talk of Womens Empowerment. When we let our Sisters and Wives become truly independent, then only can we be morally right.

PS: Lets end this discussion here. and one more thing, the writer, made the Muslims seem like Saints who went and won Hearts and Minds, but I dont think it was exactly like that, but What I want you to read it the part of the agreement and that the city was not plundered and church destroyed. God Speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles