Was Lord Buddha a beef eater?

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
Today when i was watching a debate on a news channel, I heard a person from CSSEIP say that LORD BUDDHA WAS HIMSELF A BEEF EATER?

IS THIS STATEMENT TRUE?

Last edited:

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
The channel was Headlines Today and our beloved RAJDEEP SARDESAI was the anchor....

This was NEWS TODAY AT NINE debate.......

Last edited:

HeinzGud

Country flag
The channel was Headlines Today and our beloved RAJDEEP SARDESAI was the anchor....

This was NEWS TODAY AT NINE debate.......
As a Siddartha Gauthama, he might have eaten meat. May be including beef.

However after attaining Buddha hood it is highly likely that he refrain from consuming meat himself. However he has not made it mandatory for his followers to refrain from eating meat.

Any meat consumption is frowned upon in Buddhism.

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
It is also said that Lord Buddha died while eating pork, when Buddhism does not allow eating of meat.....

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
Today when i was watching a debate on a news channel, I heard a person from CSSEIP say that LORD BUDDHA WAS HIMSELF A BEEF EATER?

IS THIS STATEMENT TRUE?
Dude ..... :frusty:

Do you know the full form of CSSEIP ???
Centre for the Study of Social Exclusion and Inclusive Policy
In other words a typical lefty loony .... these are the same people that claim that vedic brahmins used to sacrifice and eat cows during yagya's. Anyway let me quote the rig veda for you
The fiend who smears himself with flesh of cattle, with flesh of horses and of human bodies,
Who steals the milch-cow's milk away, O Agni,—tear off the heads of such with fiery fury.

The cow gives milk each year, O Man-regarder let not the Yātudhāna ever taste it.
If one would glut him with the biesting, Agni, pierce with thy flame his vitals as he meets thee.

Let the fiends drink the poison of the cattle; may Aditi cast off the evildoers.
May the God Savitar give them up to ruin, and be their share of plants and herbs denied them.

Agni, from days of old thou slayest demons never shall Rākṣasas in fight o'ercome thee.
Burn up the foolish ones, the flesh-devourers let none of them escape thine heavenly arrow.

— Rig Veda (10.87.16-19)

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
Dude ..... :frusty:

Do you know the full form of CSSEIP ???

In other words a typical lefty loony .... these are the same people that claim that vedic brahmins used to sacrifice and eat cows during yagya's. Anyway let me quote the rig veda for you
This man said so......

I think LORD BUDDHA and VEDAS do not go with each other as BUDDHISM DOES NOT BELIEVE IN VEDAS......

sorcerer

Country flag
Dear Dalai Lama: "Is it permissible for Buddhists to eat meat?"
elephant journal
Via elephant journal on Dec 11, 2011

Q & A with H.H. the Dalai Lama, Dharamsala, November 2009

Q: Is it permissible for Buddhists to eat meat?

HH: Some Buddhist texts say that it is not permissible to eat any meat, but others, including the Abhidharma-Kosa, say it is permissible to eat meat on the condition that the animal was not slaughtered specifically for the person who eats it.

The best thing is to give up meat entirely. Sometimes one's lifestyle and circumstances provide no alternative but to eat meat, and in these cases one should eat as little meat as possible. Tibetan monasteries and nunneries in south India became entirely vegetarian 15 years ago. Festivals and ceremonies in all Tibetan monasteries and nunneries should be completely vegetarian. When I was in Tibet, aged 13 or 14, my government officially banned meat from religious festivals and ceremonies.

Bonus: The Dalai Lama on eating "conventional" eggs like those served in most restaurants:

"The abuse we inflict on hens has always been particularly disturbing to me and I have always been particularly concerned toward how these animals are treated in industrial food production. I am troubled to learn about the practice of confining egg laying hens in tiny cages. In these cages, birds cannot engage in their natural behaviours, such as spreading their wings, laying eggs in a nesting area, perching, scratching at the ground, even standing on a solid surface. Each hen has less space to live than the very sheet of paper I have written this letter on. Turning these defenseless animals into egg-producing machines with no consideration for their welfare whatsoever is a degradation of our own humanity. Switching to cage free eggs would reduce the suffering of these animals."

Bonus: The Buddha, on eating meat.

"Monks, I allow you fish and meat that are quite pure in three respects: if they are not seen, heard or suspected to have been killed on purpose for a monk. But, you should not knowingly make use of meat killed on purpose for you."

~ Gotama Buddha
Dear Dalai Lama: “Is it permissible for Buddhists to eat meat?” | elephant journal

Srinivas_K

Country flag
This man said so......

I think LORD BUDDHA and VEDAS do not go with each other as BUDDHISM DOES NOT BELIEVE IN VEDAS......

Basic concepts like Moksha, Re incarnation, Dharma , Karma are the same in both philosophies. Both have many commonalities.

Last edited:

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
This man said so......

Buddha was also a born hindu ..... Gautama Siddhartha ...

warriorextreme

Country flag
"Monks, I allow you fish and meat that are quite pure in three respects: if they are not seen, heard or suspected to have been killed on purpose for a monk. But, you should not knowingly make use of meat killed on purpose for you."

~ Gotama Buddha

Yes it is true..Buddhists monks can eat meat(Including beef,pork etc) if it was not specifically prepared for them. E.g. since monks are bhikkus(i.e. apart from other restrictions, they eat what is given to them in bhiksha) they were not allowed to deny any bhiksha even if it was meat.

However if meat was prepared specifically for bhikku after he asks for bhiksha then the monks has to deny it..

Buddhism is very practical religion

amoy

varying practice across sects~ non-Tibetan Chinese monks n nuns must be strictly vegetarian and celibate. in contrast it's not so in most Japanese denominations and the "profession" often gets passed down from generation to generation.

~Tapa talks: Orange is the new black.~

mayfair

Well it is said that Buddha died after eating poisoned pork. More so, he knew that it was poisoned and yet he chose to eat it.

sgarg

What Buddha ate in his lifetime is based on stories. Such stories may be correct or incorrect. There is no way of proving either way. So it should not be made a subject of debate on TV.

Indian religions are generally against meat eating. Buddhism originated in India. The society in which Buddha lived was almost entirely made of vegetarians. It was OK for Bhikshu to eat what was given, unless somebody intentionally gave meat to Bhikshu.

This vehement discussion about meat eating is a modern phenomenon. Hindus were largely vegetarians even 70-80 years back.

Simple_Guy

Buddha was born a Kshatriya and for them pork was especially relished. But no question of eating beef. All our traditional meat recipes involve mutton, chicken, fish, and pork.

bose

Country flag
Buddha was an enlightened man, and enlightened people are usually beyond man-made social and religious norms, rights and wrongs. They are beyond duality. All these stupid rules - what you eat etc. - were invented by fanatical brahmins, and the buddha was against it. Cow protection was a moronic concept invented by brahmins a long time ago, but funnily enough even 21st century hindus are still following it all the while mocking muslims for following 7th century rules. Amazing.
How about eating Pork ?

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
Buddha was an enlightened man, and enlightened people are usually beyond man-made social and religious norms, rights and wrongs. They are beyond duality. All these stupid rules - what you eat etc. - were invented by fanatical brahmins, and the buddha was against it. Cow protection was a moronic concept invented by brahmins a long time ago, but funnily enough even 21st century hindus are still following it all the while mocking muslims for following 7th century rules. Amazing.
Shut your idiotic brainless mind. You have no right to condemn others belief. If you don't like keep it to yourself. "I AM PROUD TO BE A BRAHMIN". You have no right to criticize what others believe in.

You don't have proper knowledge of BRAHMINS. Just because some idiotic brahmins did something wrong, you cannot label the whole of BRAHMINS as bad. So please restrain from doing so.....

If you think that you can eat anything in this world then why not eat humans also.... Why restrict yourself to other living beings.......

Last edited:

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
People make comments without proper knowledge of the subject. They comment for the sake of posting and increasing their post count.......

Argument for the sake of arguing is the sign of a dumb person who has no proper knowledge of the subject, which misleads people with wrong information being propagated......

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
Buddha was born a Kshatriya and for them pork was especially relished. But no question of eating beef. All our traditional meat recipes involve mutton, chicken, fish, and pork.
My question was about the person from CSSEIP, who said that Buddha himself was a beef eater....

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles