Was anyone aware of this?- TARMOUR

black eagle

Country flag
TARMOUR

The Tarmour heavy armored personnel carrier is a recent Indian development. It is a conversion of ageing Soviet T-55 medium tanks. India operates around 900 T-55 tanks, that are in process of being phased out. This heavy APC shows some Israel's influence in it's design.

Protection of the Tarmour heavy APC is similar to MBTs. It uses Kanchan heavy composite armor, which is broadly similar to the British Chobham. Explosive reactive armor blocks can be added for improved protection. It is claimed that Tarmour's armor provides all-round protection against RPG-7 rounds. Vehicle is fitted with NBC protection and automatic fire suppression systems.

The Tarmour is armed with a remotely controlled 12.7-mm machine gun. This weapon station is operated by vehicle's commander.

Vehicle has a crew of two and provides accommodation for 9 troops. Troops enter and leave the vehicle through the rear door.

The Tarmour heavy APC is based on a Soviet T-55 medium tank chassis, but has a raised superstructure. It is worth mentioning that India operates a number of ageing Soviet T-55 medium tanks, that pose little threat to modern main battle tanks. Original engine of the T-55 was replaced with more powerful Detroit Diesel 8V92TA diesel, developing 850 hp.

Vehicle can be tailored to suit specific operational requirements. It can be also used as ambulance, combat engineering vehicle, armored earth mover or mine plough.

Tarmour Heavy Armored Personnel Carrier | Military-Today.com
I am posting this because this is something new to me. I haven't seen this before. So if anyone feels its common & the post is meaningless, my apologies are on offer.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
Sounds Interesting! Its a good development, espeicially if the Israeli Influence is founded. We can put these to good use

black eagle

Country flag

Specifications :
Optimal Armored Fighting Vehicle (AFV) system solutions for the mechanized formations for the most demanding operational environments.

The Tarmour family of AFVs is based on the conversion of old T55 inventories into top class AFVs with protection similar to MBTs coupled with outstanding mobility and maneuverability.

The Tarmour gives the mechanised units overwhelming capabilities- a combination of MBT's mobility and survivability coupled with adequate firepower and first rate human engineering.

OFB offers a wide range of customized possibilities and solutions which can be tailored to suit the specific operational and technical requirements such as
"¢ APCs
"¢ Ambulances
"¢ Combat Engineer's AFVs
- Earth Remover
- Mine Plough
- Mine Roller

Characteristics :
Weight 41.5 tonne
Crew 3
Overall length 9.530 metres
Overall height 2.190 metres
Overall width 3.590 metres
Maximum road speed 60 kmph
Engine power 780 hp
Power to weight ratio 19 hp/tonne
Shallow fording 5 M (with snorkel)
Vertical obstacle 0.85 M
Trench crossing 2.8 M
Gradient 30 degrees
Gun 125 mm
Rate of fire 8 rds/min
Ammunition 44 FSAPDS/HEAT/HE
Co-axial machine gun 7.62 mm
Anti aircraft machine gun 12.7 mm

Ordnance Factory Board
I think this specification is somewhat misleading. I think this is the specification for T-55 MBT & not of TARMOUR.

Last edited:

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag
Tarmour AFV

Specifications : Optimal Armored Fighting Vehicle (AFV) system solutions for the mechanized formations for the most demanding operational environments.

The Tarmour family of AFVs is based on the conversion of old T55 inventories into top class AFVs with protection similar to MBTs coupled with outstanding mobility and maneuverability.

The Tarmour gives the mechanised units overwhelming capabilities- a combination of MBT's mobility and survivability coupled with adequate firepower and first rate human engineering.

OFB offers a wide range of customized possibilities and solutions which can be tailored to suit the specific operational and technical requirements such as
"¢ APCs
"¢ Ambulances
"¢ Combat Engineer's AFVs
- Earth Remover
- Mine Plough
- Mine Roller

Characteristics :

Weight 41.5 tonne
Crew 3
Overall length 9.530 metres
Overall height 2.190 metres
Overall width 3.590 metres
Maximum road speed 60 kmph
Engine power 780 hp
Power to weight ratio 19 hp/tonne
Shallow fording 5 M (with snorkel)
Vertical obstacle 0.85 M
Trench crossing 2.8 M Gradient 30 degrees
Gun 125 mm
Rate of fire 8 rds/min
Ammunition 44 FSAPDS/HEAT/HE
Co-axial machine gun 7.62 mm
Anti aircraft machine gun 12.7 mm

Ordnance Factory Board

JHA

Its better to donate these tanks to Nepal than keep developing something out from these obsolete tanks and keep spending money on these..

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Its better to donate these tanks to Nepal than keep developing something out from these obsolete tanks and keep spending money on these..
these tanks can be used in verity of ways, for Akash, for Unmanned tank and Unmanned vehicle for anti mines operations and in verity of roles including target practice.

Its engine is good even today and it is rugged therefore Indian Army like it.

jatkshatriya

well..to be honest i really liked the idea...out of the box thinking...its kinda cool

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
Are these INDIAN APC's match for the Chinese. I personally think they are good. But the other day, in the Comparison of India and China thread, I saw that the report was saying INDIAN APC's are no match for the CHINESE missiles and the CHINESE have better APC's than INDIA.......

Last edited:

black eagle

Country flag
These can be used as a stop gap arrangements till the IA buys any modern APC. There's nothing wrong with this. But what i am interested in is what kinda systems have been incorporated in it. The article talks of israeli influence in the design. Don't know what it is.

JBH22

RUSSIAN BTR-T

It is based on the hull of the T-55 tank and answers the need for a heavy, well protected and well armed vehicle adapted to urban combat. The need for a heavy IFV appeared after the First Chechen War during which APCs such as the BTR-80 and BMP-2 suffered heavy losses in urban areas at the hands of Chechen rebels using RPG shoulder-launched anti-tank weapons. As a result, the design incorporates thicker armour, with built-in reactive armour. It also has heavier armament with sufficient elevation to engage targets in multi-story buildings.
BTR-T - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Russians provide a wonderful solution to continue use T-55 given increase urbanisation one day IA will have to fight in an urban setting and therefore something like Tarmour will be helpful

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
I'm sorry to be the party pooper here but the concept ain't new The heavy Apc has been in vogue with the Israelis for quite some time now even the Jordanians have their own models,
The heavy APC is often seen as a cost effective proposal for the life extension of older tanks rather than scrapping for example

The Temsah heavy APC is a conversion of the Centurion MBT used by Jordan

The BMPV-64 heavy armored personnel carrier is a conversion of the T-64 main battle tank used by The Ukraine

The BMO-T is a dedicated armored transporter for specialized flamethrower squads used by the russians . it is based on the T-72 chassis.

The Russian BTR-T heavy armored personnel carrier is based on the T-55 medium tank

The Israeli Namer heavy APC provides infantry with the level of protection matching with the latest MBTs.it's based on the Merkava 4 chassis.

The namera protoype was built on the merkava 1 chassis however the decision makers favired the use of new running gear and hence the namer is based on the Merkava 4.

The Israeli Achzarit heavy armored personnel carrier is based on the captured T-55/54 Soviet medium tanks.

The Israeli Nakpadon heavy armored personnel carrier is a conversion of the Centurion MBT

If you look at the foreign designs and notice our own you shall find that there is a distinct lack of aerodynamic qualities in our example, however this is because the Tarmour is only a prototype , if accepted the real APC ahould be a bit more like the ones detailed here!

Last edited:

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
These can be used as a stop gap arrangements till the IA buys any modern APC. There's nothing wrong with this. But what i am interested in is what kinda systems have been incorporated in it. The article talks of israeli influence in the design. Don't know what it is.
The Israeli influence is in the very concept the Israelis have been modifying old tanks into heavy APC'S for eons now!

ashdoc

Country flag
But the other day, in the Comparison of India and China thread, I saw that the report was saying INDIAN APC's are no match for the CHINESE missiles .
this may be a thick -skinned APC , but generally APCs have thin armour , and are no match for missiles anyway.

sandeepdg

I think this is still being developed and a lot more needs to be done. But just 12.7 mm AA gun is hardly any firepower, the Russian BRT-R has options for multiple weapon configurations including Konkurs ATGMs, 12.7 mm heavy machine gun, 30 mm autocannon and 30 mm automatic grenade launchers ! We should have at least a configuration of 30mm cannon and ATGMs.

bhramos

Country flag
I think this is still being developed and a lot more needs to be done. But just 12.7 mm AA gun is hardly any firepower, the Russian BRT-R has options for multiple weapon configurations including Konkurs ATGMs, 12.7 mm heavy machine gun, 30 mm autocannon and 30 mm automatic grenade launchers ! We should have at least a configuration of 30mm cannon and ATGMs.
This is just one concept. this can be used or converted in many roles as mentioned above, I feel these can be converted to BMP-T then BTR-T.

BTR-T

BMP-T

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Meanwhile in Israel!

GDLS Selected to develop Namer Armored Personal Carriers for Israel
October 27, 2010 noam_eshel

The 13th Infantry Battalion of the Golani Brigade was the first Israel Defense Forces (IDF) unit to convert from the T-55 based Achzarit armored infantry carrier to the new Infantry Combat Vehicle – the Namer.

Israel's Defense Ministry has awarded General Dynamics a contract to build 600 Namer (leopard in Hebrew) armored personnel carriers (APC) over the next eight years.
The competitive procurement process was for the production of Merkava APC hulls, material kit sets and integration of the kits to the vehicle chassis. General Dynamics expects to complete contract negotiations by the end of this year.
Production will be performed at the Joint Systems Manufacturing Center in Lima, Ohio. The base contract will be completed by March 2015 or extend to November 2019 if all options are exercised.

Battalion 13 of the Golani Brigade has already been outfitted with the Namer and a senior Defense Ministry official said that the remaining three Golani battalions would receive the APC over the next three years.
The decision to issue the Namer tender in the US was made due to budgetary constraints.
If the Namer is made in the US, the IDF will be able to pay for the production with the foreign military financial aid it receives annually from the US and most of which needs to be spent in America.

The Namer has advanced defensive systems and an internal air-conditioning unit which enables the vehicle to continue operating in areas contaminated by nonconventional weapons. The Namer carries a number of machine guns, missile launchers, and reconnaissance equipment.
The IDF plans to equip the Namer with a locally built active protection system. The IDF has already fielded the Trophy APS on it's Merkava 4 tanks. System comes as an integral part of the tank and the IMOD plans to follow the same path with the Namer.

The vehicle is equipped with a 0.5" heavy machine gun mounted on the weapon station; a secondary, manually operated 7.62mm machine gun and a 60mm mortar are also included.

Last edited by a moderator:

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
the indian army doesn't like the idea of inducting one of the world's best heavy mbt's i.e arjun how can it like the idea of a heavy apc that too based on an old tank which has outlived it's service life for years and need urgent replacement.the only thing favourable to the idea is the army's over obsession with foreign maal.

Last edited:

Madhavbhartia

the indian army doesn't like the idea of inducting one of the world's best heavy mbt's i.e arjun how can it like the idea of a heavy apc that too based on an old tank which has outlived it's service life for years and need urgent replacement.the only thing favourable to the idea is the army's over obsession with foreign maal.
1 regiment is already in service....
The Indian Army ordered 124 Arjuns in 2000.The first five were delivered to the army in August 2004. In May 2009 the Indian Army raised its maiden Arjun regiment. The army received 16 tanks from Combat Vehicles Research and Development Establishment (CVRDE), Avadi, Tamil Nadu, taking the number of tanks delivered so far to 45.The first lot of 124 tanks were delivered to the Indian Army in 2010.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
More news from our friend in the near east

Israel set to export Merkava 4 tank

Defense Ministry officials opened advanced talks with several foreign armies for the sale of Israel's most advanced main battle tank.
1 November 10 17:54, Yuval Azulai
Israel is consolidating its position as one of the world's largest arms exporters. Senior Ministry of Defense officials recently opened advanced negotiations with several foreign armies for the sale of Israel's most advanced main battle tank - the Merkava Mark 4. Israel is also offering its Tiger armored personnel carrier (APC), which is based on the Merkava chassis.
Until now, Israel has not exported the advanced tanks developed and produced by the Ministry of Defense through a special administration set up for this purpose, the Tank Program Administration. However, a few months ago, Ministry of Defense director general Udi Shani decided to approve such transactions in principle with friendly countries, subject to full coordination with the US administration and under the necessary supervision restrictions.
The exact manufacturing cost of the Merkava is classified, together with the numbers of tanks produced each year. Estimates are of several tens of tanks each year, of all of which are supplied to the IDF armored brigades.
The defense establishment began development and production of the Merkava 40 years ago. The father of the ambitious project was the late Major General Avraham Tal. The Tank Program Administration began development and production of the Merkava Mark 4 a few years ago, on the basis of lessons drawn from earlier versions of the tank. Sources close to the project said that the Mark 4 will be the final version of the Merkava, and that there will be no need for a Merkava Mark 5.
In view of the current negotiations with other countries, it is no coincidence that the Merkava Mark 4 was unveiled at the Eurosatory 2010 international defense week in Paris a few months ago.
The defense establishment is also currently in talks for the sale of its latest APC, the Tiger, which incorporates the capabilities of an APC on a Merkava hull. The Tiger emphasizes advanced armor components, many of which are classified, based on lessons from the 2006 Second Lebanon War.
The defense establishment has said in the past that a large number of Israeli developments intended for versions of the Merkava have been much sought-after items for various forms of combat, and were being procured by foreign armies. Exports of these items, manufactured by Israeli defense companies, are estimated at $400 million a year.
Published by Globes [online], Israel business news - www.globes-online.com - on November 1, 2010
© Copyright of Globes Publisher Itonut (1983) Ltd. 2010
http://www.globes.co.il/serveen/globes/docview.asp?did=1000598168

The Arjun and the Tarmour just got another competitor!frankly i'd love to see a few (roughly 200-300)merkava's in the IA and a similar no. of namers forming the spine of a new armored brigade in the rann of kutch!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles