Warships exported by India

bhramos

Country flag
India supplying warships to 16 countries
By Express News Service | Published: 03rd January 2017 05:36 PM |

Last Updated: 03rd January 2017 05:36 PM | A+A A- |

Image used for representational purpose only

At least 16-17 countries are in discussion with Indian shipyards to acquire warship from India including Vietnam, Bangladesh and UAE, defence minister Manohar Parrikar said in a brief interaction with media on sidelines of a event in national capital.

"We are exporting warships to many countries like a private shipward is giving to Vietnam. Several other countries like Bangladesh and UAE are among 16-17 nations are in discussions with India for supply of warship." Manohar Parrikar.

While on exporting BrahMos supersonic missile to Vietnam, Parrikar said," we are willing to give BrahMos missile to any friendly nation and Vietnam is a friend."

Parrikar also said that India has already decided to give training to Vietnam Air Force for their newly inducted Sukhoi fighter jets.

New Delhi's engagement with Vietnam is seen as counter measures to contain China's growing influence in the region.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/nat...pplying-warships-to-16-countries-1555740.html

aditya g

Country flag
http://www.sundaytimes.lk/article/1...rd-ship-varuna-to-be-handed-over-to-sri-lanka

Indian Coast Guard Ship Varuna to be handed over to Sri Lanka
4 September 2017

The Indian Coast Guard Ship Varuna will be handed over to the Sri Lankan Coast Guard on Tuesday at a function at Naval Base, Kochi, in the presence of Rear Admiral Samantha Wimalathunge, Director General of Sri Lanka Coast Guard.

According to the New Indian Express, ICGS Varuna was commissioned into service on February 27, 1988, by the then Defence Minister K C Pant and was decommissioned last month (August 23).

This is not the first time that a ship has been given to Sri Lanka the report claimed. INS Sarayu, a patrol vessel of the Indian Navy, was de-commissioned in 2010 and sold to Sri Lankan Navy where it served as SLNS Sayura. Similarly, INS Krishna, which ‘retired from service’ in 2012, first served as Royal Navy’s HMS Andromeda from 1968 to November 1994. It served as one of Indian Navy’s First Training Squadron Ships.

ICGS Varuna, since her commissioning was deployed for a total of 10,632 days, trained a total of 720 officers, saved 77 lives, total catch (Gold or contraband) Rs 92.56 crore, and visited 22 foreign ports.
The ship was named after Lord Varuna, the deity of water bodies and sea. ICGS Varuna reigned the seas for the last 30 years and is the golden glory of the Indian Coast Guard.

ICGS Varuna already decommissioned:

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities...oned-with-special-honours/article19547970.ece

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
@aditya g can I say that at this point India can make one of the the best coast guard patrol boat?

aditya g

Country flag
@aditya g can I say that at this point India can make one of the the best coast guard patrol boat?
That's a very deep question, and a pertinent one.

I can answer only partially I am afraid; India can make coast guard vessels of all sizes within India, right from boats to 105m OPVs. In that sense we are quite good, and though I have not compared costs I believe ICG ships are not very expensive either.

A lot of the equipment is Make in India, including engines which some companies assemble here. So at least nominally Indian. The Fighting part is also Make in India - CRN-91 and BEL Shikari. But ICG is lightly armed though some OPVs even have 76 mm Oto Melaras.

I would like to see design innovation, all OPVs are more or less variations of each other. We could have done something different like the French l'Adroit;

scatterStorm

Country flag
I don't trust Sri-lankans ... no offence but it's just me. Since the Chinese got a lease of there sea port for whopping 99 years, these guys will allow chinks to study the ship, equipment etc.

Tanmay

Country flag
I don't trust Sri-lankans ... no offence but it's just me. Since the Chinese got a lease of there sea port for whopping 99 years, these guys will allow chinks to study the ship, equipment etc.
These are at best Coast Guard type patrol boats. With main gun and no SSM or SAMs or any sensitive radars

scatterStorm

Country flag
These are at best Coast Guard type patrol boats. With main gun and no SSM or SAMs or any sensitive radars
They can test the hull structure and naval grade steel strength, or metallurgy involved.
Petrol boats if detected can tell a lot about a nearby naval assets. Say to chinky subs.

Tanmay

Country flag
They can test the hull structure and naval grade steel strength, or metallurgy involved.
Petrol boats if detected can tell a lot about a nearby naval assets. Say to chinky subs.
Lulz. On similar lines We fear about F-16 being in service with PAF and being in MMRCA. But Chinese operate Kilos, Su-30s, S400s and Migs and other Russi hardware.

Also the Chinese have rather exported their hardware like Ships, missiles, SAMs to pakis, Lankas and Afriki nations too. And we crib about no exports on one hand and also about losing secrets :p

All ship grade steels wont be same. China has much more advanced and masive ship building infra and foundries.

We should definitely make one or two models each of OPV, IPV and FACs for export. When France was supposed to export Mistral LPD to Russia !! FREMMs across world we should nt be worried about OPVs

Last IIRC the chinese had fitted their SSMs on an ex-IN patrol boat donated to SL?? read i somewehre

ladder

Country flag

Global Defence

New threads

Articles