Warship-grade steel from SAIL for new aircraft carrier

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Warship-grade steel from SAIL for new aircraft carrier

India's effort to built its own aircraft carrier in Kochi has generated a positive spin-off. Public sector Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL) has developed a warship-grade steel that will help the nation shake off its decades of dependence on imports.

This breakthrough is a compelling story of how a collaborative effort among defence scientists, the Navy and SAIL help India save crores of rupees.

The turnaround for Indian steel industry began when the country was looking for imported warship-grade steel for its 40,000-tonne Indigenous Aircraft Carrier (IAC), now under construction at the Cochin Shipyard in Kerala.

The search for steel for the `3,560-crore IAC took Navy warship designers to Russia, where a particular steel of military-grade was found to be suitable for building the 21,000-tonne hull of the IAC. Considering that the cost of imported steel was double the domestic, India saved at least `1,000 crore by opting for indigenous steel to build its first aircraft carrier.

However, issues of technology denial regimes, foreign exchange troubles and likely delay in supplies made the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) scientists and Navy to once again carry out a search, this time to see if the military-trade steel could be made in India.

That was when the SAIL technologists came into the picture. They were ready to take on the challenge by collaborating with the DRDO and Navy.

The necessity led them to invent several variants of military-grade steel -- DMR249 -- that is now cut and given shape to form the hull of the IAC, expected to be delivered to the Navy in 2018.

"From now on, all Indian-built warships will use the same steel for their hulls," Navy Vice Chief Vice Admiral R K Dhowan said here.

India has ordered for over 40 warships that are either under construction or will be built in its own shipyards.

The SAIL-produced special steel also forms the hull of Indian-built armoured plates of Russian-origin T-72 and T-90 tanks, indigenous main battle tank Arjun and mine-protected vehicles used in counter-insurgency operations.

Warship-grade steel from SAIL for new aircraft carrier - The New Indian Express

SO, India has been able to make military-grade steel.

Well done!

Decklander

Sir, FYI, the Russians refused to give us this steel as they wanted us to get the ship manufactured in a Russian shipyard. yet another case where denial has added to our knowledge and industrial prowess. very soon some ill informed members will start debating whether it was worth it? And they will support such acts of getting things made and imported from foreign companies rather than manufacture them indigenously. Just like LCA-to make a point.
Very soon they will go overboard in pointing out very minor flaws when the trials start and compare them with the shit produced by russia like T-90 tank. But unfortunately for them, the Russians had wanted our design to make a carrier of their own. It will be the story of Arjun which will get repeated for IAC-1.

I have only one question to ask all those members who find fault with LCA & Arjun, Do you believe in India?
I have often said," Tedha hai par meraa hai, seedha bhi kar laingay". We may fall short in first attempt, but we will be best the second time.
Can anyone deny that LCA MK2 will be as good as any 4.5 gen ac of the world? Can anyone deny that Arjun MK2 will be the best tank in the world? Those who point out foreign content in these projects must realise that even Typhoon is a JV involving four nations, even Merkava had tons of US tech, even Russians are importing from the world and even Chinese have reverse engineered evrything which they have created.
So a small request to all those who criticise DRDO-STFU.

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
@Decklander Sir,

Criticizing some thing is fine given what materiel the person is speaking, But mostly 99% of time people just like to bash or curse there own, ill informant person trying to be smart pants, This is where things get ugly and i agree fully with you..

Last edited by a moderator:

Decklander

@Decklander Sir,

Criticizing some thing is fine given what materiel the person is speaking, But mostly 99% of time people just like to bash or curse there own, ill informant person trying to be smart pants, This is where things get ugly and i agree fully with you..
I do not mind being called an idiot or stupid or whatever but I love my nation and I have imbibed it from not just my family but also from my very first service of life-INDIAN NAVY.
Tell me one person who does not have good words for IN for the way they have developed themselves indigenously in the Independent India while all other forces failed.
If you have faith and are true to your Karma, success will be yours.

Last edited by a moderator:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles