Vladimir Putin's visit to India - 2014

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag
NEW DELHI: Vladimir Putin may be the reigning bad guy in much of the western world, but next week India will signal to him that he remains a friend. Coming to India on his annual sojourn, Putin has been invited to address a joint session of Parliament, an honour last given to US President Barack Obama in 2010. Coming a month before Obama is scheduled to travel here as chief guest for Republic Day, the government is keen to give the Putin visit top billing.

During his first meeting with Putin, Prime Minister Narendra Modi had invited him to visit Kudankulam in south India, where a Russia-made nuclear reactor has finally gone online. But Putin is unlikely to make that trip. Instead, on his single-day summit here, Putin is planning to pack in a rash of appointments and sign a predictable number of agreements with India.

On top of that list would be energy and diamonds. ONGC might invest in more oilfields in Russia, while India and Russia may rewrite an older agreement for direct diamond trade. According to industry reports, 80 per cent of the world's diamond cutting happens in India, and there is a proposal to set up a diamond hub in Mumbai. Russian diamond company, Alrosa, may be looking to tie up long-term deals, particularly as western sanctions hit Russia.

India will be particularly keen to tie up energy and other economic deals with Russia because New Delhi does not want Moscow to be isolated in the world so that it is driven to Beijing's sphere of influence. Russia signed a $400 billion energy deal with China in May, and may even break the informal arms blockade to Pakistan.

India will have to find creative ways of keeping Russia on its side, even as it moves westwards to acquire weapons and weapons systems.

Putin to address joint session of Parliament - The Times of India

pmaitra

Made the thread title generic. Please post all visit related posts here.

DingDong

Country flag
NEW DELHI: Vladimir Putin may be the reigning bad guy in much of the western world, but next week India will signal to him that he remains a friend. Coming to India on his annual sojourn, Putin has been invited to address a joint session of Parliament, an honour last given to US President Barack Obama in 2010. Coming a month before Obama is scheduled to travel here as chief guest for Republic Day, the government is keen to give the Putin visit top billing.

During his first meeting with Putin, Prime Minister Narendra Modi had invited him to visit Kudankulam in south India, where a Russia-made nuclear reactor has finally gone online. But Putin is unlikely to make that trip. Instead, on his single-day summit here, Putin is planning to pack in a rash of appointments and sign a predictable number of agreements with India.

On top of that list would be energy and diamonds. ONGC might invest in more oilfields in Russia, while India and Russia may rewrite an older agreement for direct diamond trade. According to industry reports, 80 per cent of the world's diamond cutting happens in India, and there is a proposal to set up a diamond hub in Mumbai. Russian diamond company, Alrosa, may be looking to tie up long-term deals, particularly as western sanctions hit Russia.

India will be particularly keen to tie up energy and other economic deals with Russia because New Delhi does not want Moscow to be isolated in the world so that it is driven to Beijing's sphere of influence. Russia signed a $400 billion energy deal with China in May, and may even break the informal arms blockade to Pakistan.

India will have to find creative ways of keeping Russia on its side, even as it moves westwards to acquire weapons and weapons systems.

Putin to address joint session of Parliament - The Times of India
India doesn't have to do anything to keep Russia on her side, ball is in Russian court. If Russia promises to honour delivery and maintenance schedule, agrees to fulfil it's ToT commitments, India will be ready to do business with Russia, otherwise we have got better options.

Pandora

Country flag
Coming for one day,just to sign some old deals. Putin and Russia is a passe now.

They got nothing to offer but Oil and Gas which again more viable if we deal with Iran.

jouni

Must feel good for Vladimir to visit a country where he is treated with admiration after the terrible visit to G20. RT & co are thrilled to get some authentic footage of cheering crowds and hysteric Indian women all falling for Vladimir's charm.

Compersion

Country flag
will the visit be hyped - will it be down played with republic day in mind. wish it is given due (big) importance (for both visits).

Abhishek Tanwar

It's all about timing buddy , after the announcement of pak that they will make 200 nuk or may be they already have them , India will need more uranium from Russia and the last thing india and russia are friends but that not mean India can't make more firends ,it's good for india and don't forget when west kick India ,Russia stand for India

Otm Shank2

Must feel good for Vladimir to visit a country where he is treated with admiration after the terrible visit to G20. RT & co are thrilled to get some authentic footage of cheering crowds and hysteric Indian women all falling for Vladimir's charm.
Why the need to be antagonistic? I'm sorry you have a prejudice for Russians but not everyone needs to feel your sentiments

Indians respect and appreciate(d) Selfless Russian aid and help to their people.

Russia has given India cutting edge technology, enormous economic and protected indian sovereignty with Russuan lives and never thrown it in india's face

In comparison finland gives india pennies and signed pieces of papers *promising* almost average technology. Yet you have dozen of sanctimonious posts on dfi talking down, dehumanizing indians with racists stereotypes and defend it by some imagined right to do it because of finlands donated pennies.

please gain some perspective. youre becoming a european chauvinist.

jouni

I think I have not dehumanized Indians. I think it is the other way round, I am being constantly accused of "evil west", NATO, EU colonialistic etc. I am constantly blamed for being nazi symphatizer, US puppet, NATO vassal, Russo phobic, Finns are called drunks, women beating is common, Finland is called "insignificant", I am supposed to support Russian aggression of Ukraine, or I am called propagandist.

Now I give credit to Putin for being so popular in India and even that is bad?

Country flag
Putin's visit will mainly focus on energy. Russia's main export. Putin is not
As popular as he once was.

Illusive

Country flag
@jouni India has important defence deals with Russia, like 5th gen aircrafts, so this visit is important for us. Geopolitical situation always changes, so its best to stay neutral for a developing country like India. We do whats good for us. This visit will be a quite affair.

Last edited by a moderator:

jouni

@jouni India has important defence deals with Russia, like 5th gen aircrafts, so this visit is important for us. Geopolitical situation always changes, so its best to stay neutral for a developing country like India. We do whats good for us. This visit will be a quite affair.
I hope you show him how open and working your democratic system is. Maybe also show how different religions and ethnic groups live side by side peacefully. Tell him that it is what also Russians European neighbors want. Nothing else. Ok, you have your own border problems, but at least you could try. Also tell him how you have dealed with your past and have come to terms with UK also.

Last edited by a moderator:

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Is it pure coincidence that this is second time both Putin and Obama visit india in the same calendar year, last one being 2012

Illusive

Country flag

I hope you show him how open and working your democratic system is. Maybe also show how different religions and ethnic groups live side by side peacefully. Tell him that it is what also Russians European neighbors want. Nothing else. Ok, you have your own border problems, but at least you could try. Also tell him how you have dealed with your past and have come to terms with UK also.
If Russian people ain't happy with progress made under Putin they'll oust him. Putin is only popular in DFI, in general people in India dont even have a clue about geopolitical situation in Ukraine or Europe.

BTW how do you we have come to terms with UK, we are just waiting for the right moment to hit them.:D

sgarg

Weakest part of Russia's relations with India | Russia & India Report

But visits, launches of joint projects and other similar events are the culmination of bilateral relations. More important work in the area of government and public relations should be done between these events. Do Russian delegations visit India frequently when compared to delegations from other countries? Apart from a few narrow fields, no. Are many Russian scientific researchers invited to work in academic and analytical centres in India? Are many Russian columnists invited to publish in India? This list of questions could continue. And the answer to many of these questions would be negative. This means that although Russian governmental, academic, business and media organisations do work in the area of government and public relations, for them, India still remains a large space for activity.

sgarg

The relations come first. The joint projects are an outcome of friendly relations, and not the other way round.

Russians will treat us well if we treat them well.

Russians are emotional people like us (I think all Slavs are emotional) and friendship has a lot of weight for Russians. Russians generally feel very comfortable with Indians.

I feel that a lot of people still value Russian friendship. Russia will continue to have a special place in India.

I think Russian cooperation in defence, energy, and space fields will continue and the value may increase in future.

sgarg

I think Sukhoi Superjet is a good project for an Indian joint venture. India needs entry into passenger airplanes. It remains to be seen if the Indian government shows interest.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles