Veggies could encourage cancer growth

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
ANI 20 August 2009, 03:18pm IST

A new study has cast doubt on the cancer-fighting power of antioxidants- found in many vegetables and whole grains - by showing that they can also help cancer cells to survive and thrive in some situations.

Antioxidants have previously been found to prevent the formation of tumours by preventing free radicals, or highly reactive molecules, from causing DNA damage.
Now, scientists have shown that antioxidants may have the opposite effect in human breast cells.

In the new study, antioxidants behaved like cancer-causing agents, protecting cells that should otherwise have died-which allowed them to multiply and become cancerous.

"The survival of these cells could be contributing to [tumour creation], rather than the opposite," National Geographic News quoted study leader Zachary Schafer of the University of Notre Dame in Indiana as saying.

Schafer and a team at Harvard Medical School cultured breast-tissue cells using simulated scaffolding that mimics how cells grow in the body.

The cells formed a spherical structure that became hollowed out as the cells in the center detached from the cells on the scaffolding and died.
However, when the researchers introduced a cancer gene into the mix, the detached cells did not die-just as happens in the body.

"This happens in early breast cancer lesions," said Schafer.
Meanwhile, the researchers noticed that the normal, detached cells without the cancer gene were being damaged by naturally occurring free radicals.

Also, the detached cells were not producing enough ATP, a critical energy molecule.
The researchers added high concentrations of antioxidants to the cell culture in an effort to suppress the harmful free radicals and boost ATP production.

They found that antioxidants have exactly the same effect as the cancer gene: The detached cells did not die.

This is because the antioxidants are helping the cells recover their ability to produce
ATP, Schafer said. The cancer gene also restored ATP production in the cells.

The researchers, however, insist that the findings should not alarm cancer patients as the research is laboratory based and the results may not replicate in people.
The study has been reported online in the journal Nature.

Veggies could encourage cancer growth - Health - Health & Fitness - LIFE & STYLE - The Times of India

ahmedsid

Top Gun
These researchers confuse me all the time with their flip flopping! What am I to believe?

Flint

Its BS. If you're a vegetarian, stay vegetarian. Even the article implies that.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
I too advice the same, Avoid Beef/Pork at any cost, cut down on chicken if you cant stop it all of a sudden. Mutton is okay as far as I am concerned but again moderately! Being a complete vegetarian I cannot be, but I try to avoid meat when I can.

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Its BS. If you're a vegetarian, stay vegetarian. Even the article implies that.
Where the articles implies it ?

A new study has cast doubt on the cancer-fighting power of antioxidants- found in many vegetables and whole grains - by showing that they can also help cancer cells to survive and thrive in some situations.

Now, scientists have shown that antioxidants may have the opposite effect in human breast cells.

In the new study, antioxidants behaved like cancer-causing agents, protecting cells that should otherwise have died-which allowed them to multiply and become cancerous.

"The survival of these cells could be contributing to [tumour creation], rather than the opposite,"

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
I too advice the same, Avoid Beef/Pork at any cost, cut down on chicken if you cant stop it all of a sudden. Mutton is okay as far as I am concerned but again moderately! Being a complete vegetarian I cannot be, but I try to avoid meat when I can.
Yes i agree with u , it should be a balanced diet consist of meat and veg .

Flint

Where the articles implies it ?
The researchers, however, insist that the findings should not alarm cancer patients as the research is laboratory based and the results may not replicate in people.

These are laboratory results on pre-existing cancer cells. It does not imply that eating vegetarian food will make you prone to cancer, and it does not even imply that existing vegetarian cancer patients should turn non-vegetarian.

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned

These are laboratory results on pre-existing cancer cells. It does not imply that eating vegetarian food will make you prone to cancer, and it does not even imply that existing vegetarian cancer patients should turn non-vegetarian.
The research is saying about cancer patients who are veggies which u r highlighting . but its even saying this that the antioxidants found in many vegetables and whole grains can help cancer cells to survive and thrive in some situations .

Vikramaditya

Country flag
Yes i agree with u , it should be a balanced diet consist of meat and veg .
you can balanced your diet without meat also.......

Chicken and sea food are not harmfull to body but red meat can lead to cancer.........

Red meat cause lots of problen to human body.........

regular consumption of red meat can lead to several health risks:

1>Cancer
2>Cardiovascular diseases
3> bone loss (mainly in women eg, osteoporosis)
4>non-insulin-dependent diabetes
5> blood pressure
6> heart disease etc.....

so if you are vegi be vegi........

ahmedsid

Top Gun

Chicken and sea food are not harmfull to body but red meat can lead to cancer.........

1>Cancer
5> blood pressure

Chicken is bad too, its heat for the body and eating too much can casuse piles etc i have read.

Anything consumed in a large quantity is bad. In food especially. We should limit the food we eat to a quantity we truly require. Overeating is the main problem.

Fish diet is the best I believe, I follow it. Be a Fisherian ;)

Flint

The research is saying about cancer patients who are veggies which u r highlighting . but its even saying this that the antioxidants found in many vegetables and whole grains can help cancer cells to survive and thrive in some situations .
For god's sake IG, I quoted the concluding paragraph of the article. I think that's supposed to sum it up, and your quoting the research findings does in no way refute that. Its just common sense.

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned

1>Cancer
5> blood pressure

Thanks for this info .

I m aware that eatting daily red meat can create many health problems , it should be not daily . red meat contains many essential nutrients necessary for healthy growth and development in children , meats contain a full complement of the amino acids required for the human diet, vegetables, by contrast, are usually lacking several essential amino acids. thats why a balance diet is required consist of meat and vegetables .

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
For god's sake IG, I quoted the concluding paragraph of the article. I think that's supposed to sum it up, and your quoting the research findings does in no way refute that. Its just common sense.
its u my friend , that maked this article BS instead of contributing to it .

Antimony

I KNEW IT
:((

Now I can ditch the broccoli with a clear conscience:113:

These researchers confuse me all the time with their flip flopping! What am I to believe?
You do realise that this research gives you one more reason to ditch the veggies and dig the biryani, don't you? :D:D:D

At least, that is what I am telling my wife. It's all about the heath factor:wink:

Fighter

Let people eat what they want to eat.
Anyway exercising is more important to health.

Vikramaditya

Country flag
Chicken is bad too, its heat for the body and eating too much can casuse piles etc i have read.

Anything consumed in a large quantity is bad. In food especially. We should limit the food we eat to a quantity we truly require. Overeating is the main problem.

Fish diet is the best I believe, I follow it. Be a Fisherian ;)
I said regular consumption of red meat, and obviously if you are eating in large quantity then required then it will cause harm to you...

ahmedsid

Top Gun
I said regular consumption of red meat, and obviously if you are eating in large quantity then required then it will cause harm to you...
I am against consumption of beef/pork, even if its in small amounts. Yes I understood what you meant :)

Fighter

I am against consumption of beef/pork, even if its in small amounts. Yes I understood what you meant :)
Are you against it because of religion or health.
Because small amounts doesnt effect health negative.

Antimony

Are you against it because of religion or health.
Because small amounts doesnt effect health negative.
Even large amounts do not affect health negatively :D

No seriously, if you are trying to watch your weigth, you would be better laying off the starch (bye bye potatoes and rice :( ) and going for lean meat

At least that is what the Atkins diet says

As for me, I would rather be healthy through exercise and occasional indulgence rather than dieting (Yuk :(( )

Vikramaditya

Country flag
Thanks for this info .

I m aware that eatting daily red meat can create many health problems , it should be not daily . red meat contains many essential nutrients necessary for healthy growth and development in children , meats contain a full complement of the amino acids required for the human diet, vegetables, by contrast, are usually lacking several essential amino acids. thats why a balance diet is required consist of meat and vegetables .
Amino acid is essential for every one,its a important enzymes help in metabolism and our boby can not synthesize it so it is taken externally through diet.
you can get amino from fish and chicken like stuff also.......

I still say ppl should eat red meat so much especially women......

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles