US's dangerous Tango with Taliban

Poseidon

Country flag
The truth the Taliban has successfully fought US to a stalemate.

amoy

dont see any alternative unless US willing to stay to fight on. no other powers wanna get quagmired either.

Sent from my 5910 using Tapatalk 2

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
dont see any alternative unless US willing to stay to fight on. no other powers wanna get quagmired either.

Funny enough, Af is an area where China and India can and probably will have to collaborate. China will not be able to bank on Pak to keep Taliban and its ideology in check for its own good in East Turkestan.

amoy

Funny enough, Af is an area where China and India can and probably will have to collaborate. China will not be able to bank on Pak to keep Taliban and its ideology in check for its own good in East Turkestan.
theres a thread on "soft partition". a fragmented AFG partitioned into 2 or more virtually will serve China's interest as well with PAK effectively engaging Talib. and barring India from the game

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
I think this is time, when ISI/Pak is doing its max to get best out of the situation when US exit Afghanistan. Pak want to put it their own man in Afghanistan, US just want peaceful withdrawal, Talibs think that they will get free hand once US is out. ISI is also having dreams of strategic depth.

US now want peace talks with Talibs, i thought they dont negotiate with terrorists :tsk:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
theres a thread on "soft partition". a fragmented AFG partitioned into 2 or more virtually will serve China's interest as well with PAK effectively engaging Talib. and barring India from the game

Any deal with Taliban is going to be trouble for China. Mark my words

amoy

Any deal with Taliban is going to be trouble for China. Mark my words
Making deals with Talib. is not an option but a must. I once read an article on DFI (unable to search for now) on how Indian (and other) firms already had to lubricate different factions to keep businesses going. The ground reality dictates so, then it's nothing new, with large projects Chinese have hands in like copper mines and oil fields being borne in mind.

Again China has PAK to broker with Talib. which is a force to reckon with. A "partitioned" AFG will be even easier to deal with (Reference: Iraq which is also in a de facto soft partition with Shiite, Sunni, and Kurds all staging their own shows).

And in your analysis Hezbollah and Hamas are tagged "terrorist organizations". That's not GoI's official stand to my knowledge.

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Making deals with Talib. is not an option but a must. I once read an article on DFI (unable to search for now) on how Indian (and other) firms already had to lubricate different factions to keep businesses going. The ground reality dictates so, then it's nothing new.

Again China has PAK to broker with Talib. which is a force to reckon with. A "partitioned" AFG will be even easier to deal with (Reference: Iraq which is also in a de facto soft partition with Shiite, Sunni, and Kurds).

And in your analysis Hezbollah and Hamas are called "terrorist organizations". That's not GoI's official stand to my knowledge.
China already has issues with Pak on East Turkestan movement. Have fun dealing with Taliban

amoy

if you deal with devil, he will eat you.
It's not for the faint hearted. For risk aversion India pls stay outside of the game. However, even if China backs off Mud like" East Turkestan" will still be slung to China. Then it's better for China (already a big stakeholder) to proactively pursue a situation in our own favour along with allies (PAK, SCO).

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
The US moves to talk with and deal with Taliban in order to secure "safe passage" for its troops and equipment is going to has lasting repercussions for both the region as well as the world at large

Force protection should never be linked to negotiations with or concessions from an enemy!

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag

Force protection should never be linked to negotiations with or concessions from an enemy!
Tell that to Obama and Kerry. Talibs are playing hard ball that i expected and they may not even be interested in any deal. But the thing is that Karzai too has been lost as he has been back stabbed. India has no reason to be enthused. I am sure Kerry will be given an ear full when he meets up for the strategic dialog over the next couple of days here in India.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
If Talibs come to power in Kabul, then Terrorists will take direct flight to US and take out buildings.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles