USN FFG(X) Guided-missile Frigate

Rassil Krishnan

Country flag
My views :

LCS - Overcomplicated Corvette with no significant armament. Now some will have x8 NSM as armament.

USS Gabrielle Gilfords (LCS 10)

Zumwalt - Air search radar was cut down in terms of capability. Has no SPY-6 style dual search mode. Also needs more VLS (has 80 compared to 96 of DDG 51).

Will be the basis of next generation Large Surface Combatant.

Ford - Has a lot of revolutionary technology like EMALS and electromagnetic lifts but tech integration was never tested thoroughly on shore based facilities.
It's not just the weapons on face value that is bad it is the opportunity cost of some of these ships.

The only arm of their navy which is going good is the submarine arm and the rest are all legacy systems,the new generation stuff have all been disastrous to say the least.all the above functionality of zumwalt and ford could be achieved by Burke's and Nimitz too.remeber the whole point of these ships was to take a leap forward in generation such that competition is always 2 to 3 steps behind.now they have created glorified test ships and wasted money and time on a project which could have been used to make relatively normal evolutionary instead of revolutionary design ships and in these coronavirus times along with dometic politics and I don't think they will reach their 355 ship target,they should be happy to reach 250 ships.

In some ways their procurement is a much worse disaster than ours as they are not new to this and have wasted so much time and effort that china atleast in the naval department has caught up a lot with workhorse like design of ships and in numbers too.same goes for a limited sense for Russia too as their small ships are actually dangerous unlike lcs.

vampyrbladez

Country flag
It's not just the weapons on face value that is bad it is the opportunity cost of some of these ships.

The only arm of their navy which is going good is the submarine arm and the rest are all legacy systems,the new generation stuff have all been disastrous to say the least.all the above functionality of zumwalt and ford could be achieved by Burke's and Nimitz too.remeber the whole point of these ships was to take a leap forward in generation such that competition is always 2 to 3 steps behind.now they have created glorified test ships and wasted money and time on a project which could have been used to make relatively normal evolutionary instead of revolutionary design ships and in these coronavirus times along with dometic politics and I don't think they will reach their 355 ship target,they should be happy to reach 250 ships.

In some ways their procurement is a much worse disaster than ours as they are not new to this and have wasted so much time and effort that china atleast in the naval department has caught up a lot with workhorse like design of ships and in numbers too.same goes for a limited sense for Russia too as their small ships are actually dangerous unlike lcs.
Zumwalt wasted deck space for VLS for survivability and lost the original radar. However it has enough juice for Rail guns. That is one of the key features of the vessel. It will serve as the template for Large Surface Combatant.

Rest all I have covered in my previous post.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles