USAF Is Looking To Re-Engine Its B-52 Fleet

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
The B-52 has only been able to carry smart weapons on its external pylons, with its internal weapons bay being relegated to nuclear and dumb bombs, as well as some older cruise missiles. Now, the iconic 60 year old Stratofortress is finally getting a new 'smart' rotary weapons rack and other upgrades that will more than double its smart weapons punch.

Once Again The USAF Is Looking To Re-Engine Its B-52 Fleet-

karn

Country flag
Rotary ? That is similar to what Backfires have i think . Is the B2 similary limited ?

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Rotary ? That is similar to what Backfires have i think . Is the B2 similary limited ?
Rotary weapons rack, yes.

But the main point of the article is new engines for this old aircraft. Hell, I was building models of the B-52 when I was a kid.

karn

Country flag
Rotary weapons rack, yes.

But the main point of the article is new engines for this old aircraft. Hell, I was building models of the B-52 when I was a kid.
There is very little that can outdo the b 52 in the bomb truck department . Makes sense IMO.

The Last Stand

Country flag
There is very little that can outdo the b 52 in the bomb truck department . Makes sense IMO.
I think the B-1A could out-do the B-52, speed and other performance characteristics wise, but it was much more expensive and not stealthy at all. That's why B-2 was developed. If need be, US can convert B-1B back into B-1A for heavy bombing but as I mentioned earlier that would be prohibitively costly compared to the trusty B-52.

karn

Country flag
I think the B-1A could out-do the B-52, speed and other performance characteristics wise, but it was much more expensive and not stealthy at all. That's why B-2 was developed. If need be, US can convert B-1B back into B-1A for heavy bombing but as I mentioned earlier that would be prohibitively costly compared to the trusty B-52.
The B 52 can easily be adapted to the "new war ". To use against those that do not have long range SAMs can loiter for long and with upgrade can keep using precision munitions at targets . Stealt and speed not needed against such opponents.

MANT!

As a former B-52 ground crewman (Avionics) , I can only say that it's about time! The B-52's airframe has a lot of life left in it and spare parts are now becoming harder and harder to find for some of it's systems, especially it's engines, now here's the question, keep it with 8 engines? or convert it to 4?

The world wonders..

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles