US would welcome `professional' Indian Army in Iraq and Afghanistan

RPK

Indyakudimahan
Country flag
Will go with Indian Army ''...anywhere, anytime'': US Army

Camp Bundela, Babina, India: India and the United States have concluded the largest-ever army exercise conducted by both nations which involved an impressive array of tanks, combat vehicles, anti-tank missiles and even Unmanned Aerial Vehicles. Happy US commanders sent out signals that both the armed forces were ready for joint counter-insurgency and anti-terror operations in battle conditions in the future.

"We will be comfortable going with the Indian Army anywhere, anytime. We want to work together as militaries and ensure peace and stability in the Asia-Pacific region," US Army commander (Pacific) Lt Gen Benjamin R Mixon told reporters here.

Photo credit : Staff Sgt. Crista Yazzie, US Army, Pacific, Public Affairs

Queried about the possibility of joint operations in war zones, for example in Afghanistan, he said that would be a call the Indian government would have to take.

Indian Army's director general military operations Lt Gen AS Sekhon, clarified that ''...this exercise is not targeting anybody or any nation, or for any specific contingency. We cannot be using this kind of force in peace-keeping operations.

The exercise was conducted at the Indian Army's training range at Babina, near Jhansi, in the northern state of Uttar Pradesh, about 275 miles southeast of New Delhi, and lasted two weeks.

Amongst other objectives, the Indian Army also familiarised itself with the US Army's Stryker combat vehicles which boasts of an integrated computer network system. A live-fire exercise was held on 26 October.

Participating in the exercise were Indian Army soldiers from the 'White Tigers' 31st Armoured Division and US soldiers from the 2nd Squadron, 14th Cavalry regiment, 2nd Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry Division, from Schofield Barracks, Hawaii.

The exercise conformed to the Joint Operations under a UN mandate and was primarily focused around Counter Insurgency/Counter Terrorism strategies in a semi-urban scenario.

Along with peace keeping operations, including military coordination, military decision making process and rules of engagement, the exercise also emphasized human rights aspects, civil military operations, community operations and logistics support operations.

The US Army's deployment of 17 Stryker armoured vehicles was the largest number deployed outside of Iraq and Afghanistan by the US.

This is also the first time that Indo-US mechanized forces have jointly exercised with each other.

''It was wonderful training with the Indian army in this joint peace enforcement exercise,'' said Lt Gen Mixon.''

''We want to work together as militaries to establish peace in Asia-Pacific region. If any eventuality occurs in future, we are better prepared to work together,'' he added.

He also claimed that the counter insurgency/terror exercise with India had been absolutely fantastic and it had helped the US soldiers to understand India in a better way.

Amongst some achievements notched up in the course of the exercise were:

- Both sides achieved interoperability and capability to function alongside for operations under an UN mandate. This was achieved through a multi-echelon, full spectrum combined operation focusing on a United Nations peacekeeping operation scenario, while executing a manoeuvre live-fire exercise.

- Participants engaged in a variety of missions, from joint planning and manoeuvre execution, to cordon and search operations as well as search and rescue training.

The 2nd Stryker Brigade, which returned from Iraq in February is likely to return either to Iraq or be sent to Afghanistan next summer

domain-b.com : Will go with Indian Army ''...anywhere, anytime'': US Army

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
About Indian Muslims, well most were against Iraq War and we could see why, but In Afghanistan, they didnt have much thought about it, and most of them knew of the Repressive ways of the Taliban and the dangers it posed.
Canada didnt join the US in Iraq. France opposed it. Surely they didnt because they were trying to appease their Muslim population.
I personally opposed the war as it was not justified and not because a Muslim nation was being attacked. I seriously get mad when people give lame excuses based on religion.

F-14

Global Defence Moderator
''We want to work together as militaries to establish peace in Asia-Pacific region. If any eventuality occurs in future, we are better prepared to work together,''
I just want to sling shoot my imagination. I think they might be Hinting at an Ops in case our next door neighbor falls

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
I just want to sling shoot my imagination. I think they might be Hinting at an Ops in case our next door neighbor falls
You beat me in to it. This is one of the likely scenario

F-14

Global Defence Moderator
I would love to see our neighbor's reaction to this news

deltacamelately

Professional
The two armies are just getting to know each other better.
No spices in this seriously. ;) It is all about enhancing interoperability since 2004. One spectrum that is very much realistic is, peace keeping and disaster management.

Vladimir79

Professional
India rules out deploying troops in Afghanistan, Iraq
2009-10-28 20:30:00

India Wednesday ruled out deploying its troops in Afghanistan and Iraq -- either now or in the future.

Talking to reporters, Defence Minister A.K. Antony said that despite the enhanced military-to-military ties between India and the US, there was no possibility of deploying troops in the two countries.

'I do not foresee such a situation, not now or in the future. As far as we are concerned we are helping Afghanistan for humanitarian purpose and for reconstruction and rehabilitation.

'I am telling you categorically that there is no question of using the military in Afghanistan or other parts,' Antony said when he was asked if Indian troops could be sent to these countries.

India and the US undertaken one of their largest-ever ground combat joint exercises at Babina in Uttar Pradesh.

India rules out deploying troops in Afghanistan, Iraq

There goes Indo-US alliance. :sarcastic:

F-14

Global Defence Moderator
Vladamir sir i think that we (India ) Has learned from our experience in the IPKF and your experience in Afghanistan and besides we wont like to do Rambo missions in Afghanistan I have all the confidence that India and USA might be looking at a scenario where our next door neighbor goes boom and falls in such an eventuality Nukes in " very Bad" Hand" wont do any good to both USA or Us for that matter

Global Defence

New threads

Articles