US wants India's cooperation in Pakistan, Afghanistan

bhramos

Country flag
US wants India's cooperation in Pakistan, Afghanistan

The US expects India, an emerging global power, to provide it help and cooperation in stabilisation of the situation in neighbouring Pakistan and Afghanistan, a top administration official said on Monday.

In the first major foreign policy speech on India by a top Obama administration official, Deputy Secretary of State, James Steinberg, hoped that India would work with the US to help in fighting terrorists in Afghanistan and Pakistan and in establishing peace and democracy in the two countries.

"This week, President Obama would set out our own approach to this challenge," Steinberg said in his speech at the prestigious Brookings Institute, which had organised a day-long seminar on "The US-India Nuclear Agreement: Expectations and Consequences," Steinberg acknowledged India efforts in the development of Afghanistan in recent years.

"As (the Pak) President (Asif Ali) Zardari and the Pakistani government take courageous steps needed to confront and eliminate extremists, India and the US must work together with all our international partners to support them and facilitate democracy," Steinberg argued.

He said India has a big stake in the success of democratic government in Pakistan and is playing a very important role in South Asia. "We encourage India to continue that," he said.

"India has a big stake in the success of democratic government in Pakistan," Steinberg said, adding a strong and democratic government in Pakistan can take on the challenges, which are a threat to Pakistan, to the US and countries in the region.

He said as Pakistan takes steps to counter these challenges, India should be supportive towards its efforts and help it in creating an environment that helps the government in its endeavour, he asserted.

http://www.ndtv.com/convergence/ndtv...324200980400AM

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
If by cooperation it means we reduce our troops on the border, then sorry it aint happening.

If you want troops in A-stan, hell yeah will do that if I had my way.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
Afghanistan is too big a quagmire! I wouldnt want Indian army men slugging it out there, our consultes are okay!

No troop minimization along the border! It will only result to increased infiltration!

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Some where I have got a news (i missed the link though) of India Russia and Iran's plan for Afghanistan.

posted later: here is a link

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
[hl]Mod Edit:- Thanks for reporting.Taken care of. [/hl]

Last edited by a moderator:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles