US upset over Iraq buying basmati from India

ejazr

Ambassador
US upset over Iraq buying basmati from India - Indian Express

US Congress members from the largest rice-growing states are on warpath, asking Iraq to resume buying US long-grain rice, instead of from India.

"We liberated their country for one thing," said Texas Congressman Ted Poe. "We would think they would consider the US in trade since we spent billions of dollars not only to liberate their country, but to rebuild their infrastructure."

Twelve Congressmen have fired off a letter to Iraq's Trade Minister Khair Alla Babaker earlier this week pressing him to get Iraqis back on the American long-grain variety.

The letter said there was a 77 per cent drop in rice sales to Iraq between 2010 and 2011, even though "not long ago, Iraq represented the largest market for US rice."

The Iraqi Grain Board has said it decided to buy cheaper basmati rice from India. Baghdad hasn't bought US rice since late 2010.

Iraq's Trade Ministry has said much of the shift is a function of the Iraqi public preferring India's Basmati rice, which the US doesn't produce.

There is no law keeping the US out of Iraq's rice market, but American farmers simply aren't growing the right kind of rice for the Iraqi dinner plate.

The Iraqi move comes as US farmers struggle with drought, unusual heat, rising production costs, dropping prices and a shrinking export market.

The 12 legislators from Arkansas, California, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Texas and Virginia say the rice industry has worked closely with Iraq to develop a relationship, including conducting meetings and workshops with Iraqi Grain Board officials, and touring with them at US rice fields and mills.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
This is not a sensible stand to take.

Did anyone ask you to liberate them? You went of your own free will, for your own reasons, didn't you? Now, offer them a lower rate than India does, if you want to stay in the game. Else keep quiet.

JayATL

How dare US local politicians advocate for their constituents ! ~ :scared2:

OMG a country is using the leverage of words and shooting letters off. don't ya know you not supposed to do anything for your own people in face of supar pawar indians on DFI getting upset !

Last edited:

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
How dare Indians rant and try to challange my boss the white man!!:scared2:

They should never be competitive or pissed off by any threat to their trade, only whites can rant about India buying jets from France. OMG.. How dare these guys act with self-esteem and try to challange them..:tsk:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Damn I thought it was only about oil. It's about rice, wheat and anything under the sun. :rofl:

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
How dare US local politicians advocate for their constituents ! ~ :scared2:

OMG a country is using the leverage of words and shooting letters off. don't ya know you not supposed to do anything for your own people in face of supar pawar indians on DFI getting upset !
Dude seriously.... You post these things for being funny or are you being serious????

How dare Indians rant and try to challange my boss the white man!!:scared2:

They should never be competitive or pissed off by any threat to their trade, only whites can rant about India buying jets from France. OMG.. How dare these guys act with self-esteem and try to challange them..:tsk:
I think this is is for you Jay

balai_c

Is this for real? I thought Iraq was an independent country! Does USA want Iraq to remain a captive market for their products? Looks like East India Company run India, where India was a forced captive market of English industrial products.

Illusive

Country flag
How dare they:rage:, Iraq is a puppet govt of US not India:fu:

Iraq invasion part 2 anyone..

Blackwater

I thought Iraq is under USA control:shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked:

p2prada

They are merely protecting their voters interests. It is natural. They seem to have completely lost to the basmati. People will decide for themselves what they want to eat. No resolution will change that.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Some fools never get it. Some how Amerika can do rants in the name of being competitive but if we do the same its some how not the same. I wonder what is the difference here. We should all be so grateful because one guy got the amerikan dream and on his behalf we should also be thankful? Lol.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
US Congress members from the largest rice-growing states are on warpath, asking Iraq to resume buying US long-grain rice, instead of from India.
US is a democratic country just like us, there are many voice coming out from there and here, Media always get the sensational items with masala..

I find the topic very amusing.. :p

sob

Mod
Country flag
US texmati is no match for the Indian basmati.

agentperry

frustration in american leadership growing, they are high class people but acting in opposite manner, just like small traders braggin for tenders and contracts.
they need to learn the tactics of french if they want to survive longer else thy will be what britishers are now, toothless...

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles